Old June 19th 17, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default ADSL/VDSL routers - are they all total rubbish?

On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 09:48:12 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Graham J wrote:

Retain your V2820n and configure the Plusnet device as a dumb VDSL
modem, connected to WAN2 on the Vigor. If the Plusnet device can't be
configured as a dumb modem, buy a Vigor 130 see:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-130

Well, sort of possible but I'm not too keen on this solution for a
couple of reasons:-

The 2820n has just one Gigabit port so connections 'across' it
will be only 100Mb/s. I realise this won't affect the FTTC speed
as that's less than 100Mb/s but it's a nuisance.

Paul's suggestion doesn't alter anything on the LAN side of your
DrayTek, so that must be a problem with your current setup as well! If
you're replacing the router not just because it's ADSL but also
because it has only one Gb port, then it might have been an idea to
say so up front.

You either have to replace the router with one that has all Gb LAN
ports, or buy a Gb switch. Accept it and move on.

The following 8-port Gb switch is only 17 and 4.5W
https://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DGS-.../dp/B00011PFWG