No-NAT ADSL Router Recommendations?

Old February 14th 07, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Moore

Default No-NAT ADSL Router Recommendations?

Hi,

I have a No-NAT ADSL connection with 8 IP addresses.

Currently I'm using a Netgear DG834 broadband modem router with NAT
disabled, but it seems I have to still use a DMZ to get my server to be
accessible from the web. Something to do with the DG834 firewall still being
active with NAT switched off I believe.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for an ADSL modem router that
will work well with No-NAT?

Thanks :-)

--
Rich

Old February 14th 07, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mel

"Richard Moore" wrote in message news:[email protected]
Hi,

I have a No-NAT ADSL connection with 8 IP addresses.

Currently I'm using a Netgear DG834 broadband modem router with NAT
disabled, but it seems I have to still use a DMZ to get my server to be
accessible from the web. Something to do with the DG834 firewall still being
active with NAT switched off I believe.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for an ADSL modem router that
will work well with No-NAT?

Thanks :-)

--
Rich

I don't know if it is of any use, but if you've got a DG834 V3,
the latest firmware has a new option to disable the firewall
in addition to NAT.

Old February 14th 07, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mel

"Mel" wrote in message reenews.net...

"Richard Moore" wrote in message news:[email protected]
Hi,

I have a No-NAT ADSL connection with 8 IP addresses.

Currently I'm using a Netgear DG834 broadband modem router with NAT
disabled, but it seems I have to still use a DMZ to get my server to be
accessible from the web. Something to do with the DG834 firewall still being
active with NAT switched off I believe.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for an ADSL modem router that
will work well with No-NAT?

Thanks :-)

--
Rich

I don't know if it is of any use, but if you've got a DG834 V3,
the latest firmware has a new option to disable the firewall
in addition to NAT.

Thinking about it, just adding a rule above the default to always
allow would achieve the same thing anyway, so please ignore my post.

Old February 15th 07, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rich

"Mel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Mel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

[...]

Good idea but the only way to add an "Allow all incoming" rule is to specify
a destination LAN address. No good if there's multiple servers :-(

Might have to look at the V3, just checked and mine is V2.

--
Rich

Old February 15th 07, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mel

"Rich" wrote in message news:[email protected]
"Mel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

Thinking about it, just adding a rule above the default to always
allow would achieve the same thing anyway, so please ignore my post.

Good idea but the only way to add an "Allow all incoming" rule is to specify
a destination LAN address. No good if there's multiple servers :-(

Might have to look at the V3, just checked and mine is V2.

I don't suppose they also added the same feature in the last V2 firmware
update?

Could it be done via telnet? Using iptables I assume (I'm not up on Linux )
To enable the dg834's telnet server:- http://192.168.0.1/?todo=debug

To disable it killall utelnetd (I think)

Old February 17th 07, 10:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Geddes

In article [email protected], Richard Moore
writes
Hi,

I have a No-NAT ADSL connection with 8 IP addresses.

Currently I'm using a Netgear DG834 broadband modem router with NAT
disabled, but it seems I have to still use a DMZ to get my server to be
accessible from the web. Something to do with the DG834 firewall still being
active with NAT switched off I believe.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations for an ADSL modem router that
will work well with No-NAT?

Thanks :-)

I use a Vigor 2800. it does NAT on the first IP address for general use
and passes my other 5 addresses through to the relevant servers.
It can be set up (default) so that your external addresses and internal
addresses can be setup on the same LAN cabling.
--
Bob Geddes