Switched ISP - can't find internet?

Old February 14th 07, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
richie

Default Switched ISP - can't find internet?

Hi,

Until a a few weeks ago I was with Orange ISP using a BT Voyaget 2091
(unlocked) wireless router. Then I changed my ISP to talktalk. I did
this by simply changing the router settings and password, within two
minutes I was online happily using my new ISP.

Then after about a week the router could not find an internet
connection? Nothing to my knowledge had changed, I had not changed any
system settings or configurations. I have checked the phone line and
the filter, all seems okay.

The router has six lights on the front of it, normally they are pretty
much all on and all green (including the internet light which is a
constant green colour). Now when I turn the router on all the lights
fire up green, and then the internet light goes out (ie turns from
green to black).

I tried calling Talktalk in India who were no use, saying they do not
support the BT voyager 2091 wireless router. Where as in fact the
problem (I believe) is absolutely nothing at all to do with the
router. I think it's an ISP problem, maybe something to do with the
fact that I'm still with Orange (for about another 6 weeks) and also
with TalkTalk ISP. Perhaps there's some conflict?

Does anyone know how I can determine where the problem lie?
My set is is all fairly new with all components less than 1 year old
so I doubt it's hardware related. If it is a regional problem I live
in North London if that sheds any light on the problem.

Thanks for looking in, and thank you even more for any helpful advice.

Cheers.....

Old February 15th 07, 12:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"richie" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

What does the router status page show? Read earlier posts here to find out
how to see this.

It should show that there is ADSL sync - look for the word SHOWTIME. If it
has ADSL sync then it will try the username & password you have provided, so
it will then show that you have an IP address.

Then report back.

--
Graham J

Old February 15th 07, 01:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 23:44:02 -0000, "Graham"
wrote:

Does anyone know how I can determine where the problem lie?
My set is is all fairly new with all components less than 1 year old
so I doubt it's hardware related. If it is a regional problem I live
in North London if that sheds any light on the problem.

Thanks for looking in, and thank you even more for any helpful advice.

What does the router status page show? Read earlier posts here to find out
how to see this.

It should show that there is ADSL sync - look for the word SHOWTIME. If it
has ADSL sync then it will try the username & password you have provided, so
it will then show that you have an IP address.

I thought "SHOWTIME" was a quirk of the Draytek routers, as I haven't
seen it on other brands. Do the BT ones really say it too?

Rod.
Old February 15th 07, 05:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 15 Feb 2007, Roderick Stewart wrote:

I thought "SHOWTIME" was a quirk of the Draytek routers, as I haven't
seen it on other brands. Do the BT ones really say it too?

The ones based on Conexant chipset (Origo, Safecom, Etec, PTI, DabsValue
from a few years back) have all given "SHOWTIME" which I thought 'odd' !
Old February 15th 07, 07:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Motion

"richie" wrote in message
ps.com...

try calling 0870 4441820 or
0800 0490049 Customer services
01925 554957 Broadband helpline
Numbers found on saynoto0870.com - Don't know if they work though.

Hope it helps.

Old February 15th 07, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
richie

On 15 Feb, 06:18, "Motion" wrote:
"richie" wrote in message

ps.com...

try calling 0870 4441820 or
0800 0490049 Customer services
01925 554957 Broadband helpline
Numbers found on saynoto0870.com - Don't know if they work though.

Hope it helps.

=============================
=============================

Dear all,

THANK YOU so much for your advice. I'm in the office now so I will not
be able to check my router until later tonight.

From memory though the error message was very generic of the type

""error: can't connect to ISP, or can't find internet connection" if
it was a specific error code or message I'm usualy pretty good at
getting these down. But I have to say I'm not 100% on this, so I'll
check tonight and e-mail what I find.

In the meantime I do appreciate your help

Best regards
Richard

Old February 16th 07, 08:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

declared for all the world to hear...
THANK YOU so much for your advice. I'm in the office now so I will not
be able to check my router until later tonight.

No remote management? Every router I've ever owned has had this
capability. Just broswe to
http://[your WAN IP address]:8000 or similar
and you can manage the router through any web browser just as you do at
home.
--
Regards
Jon
Old February 16th 07, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 07:14:41 -0000, Jon
mused:

declared for all the world to hear...
THANK YOU so much for your advice. I'm in the office now so I will not
be able to check my router until later tonight.

No remote management? Every router I've ever owned has had this
capability. Just broswe to http://[your WAN IP address]:8000 or similar
and you can manage the router through any web browser just as you do at
home.

Usually you have to turn it on and specify the parameters first. Also
doesn't always work so well with a dynamic IP address, reboot router,
lost forever!

I find it easier to remote access a desktop machine at home then
access the router from that.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old February 16th 07, 02:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 04:12:10 +0000, NoNeedToKnow
wrote:

On 15 Feb 2007, Roderick Stewart wrote:

I thought "SHOWTIME" was a quirk of the Draytek routers, as I haven't
seen it on other brands. Do the BT ones really say it too?

The ones based on Conexant chipset (Origo, Safecom, Etec, PTI, DabsValue
from a few years back) have all given "SHOWTIME" which I thought 'odd' !

Oh well, you learn something every day. It always reminds me of
Michael Keaton in "Beetlejuice", so my best guess as to how it came to
be incorporated into the firmware of ADSL routers was that maybe
someone in a design lab somewhere in the far east had seen this film,
and this was their attempt at what they though was a universally
recognised colloquialism in the west. If that is the case (though
don't forget it's only my guess), then it would be improbable that
several design labs had independently come up with the same idea.
(Unless Michael Keaton is hugely popular in Taiwan of course). Who
knows what the true explanation is......?

Rod.
Old February 17th 07, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Lurch wrote:

Usually you have to turn it on and specify the parameters first. Also
doesn't always work so well with a dynamic IP address, reboot router,
lost forever!

I find it easier to remote access a desktop machine at home then
access the router from that.

Agreed. Handy sometimes to have LogMeIn s/w on an XP machine, which
both allows for remote access of the PC, and (so long as it can get
connected, ie not an internet / router problem) calls "home" to be
reachable, so the logmein.com site "knows" the IP. Means that I
can access the router at my sister's home (I did set it up for!)
even when her PC has been off for a few hours/days, as LogMeIn
reports the last known IP for it