Virgin Hopeless - need a recommendation

Old February 14th 07, 11:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fat Freddy's Cat

Default Virgin Hopeless - need a recommendation

Been with Virgin on 8megADSLMax since September and although it started
reasonably poorly, its went well downhill since then...

Speed can get as low as dialup at peak times, but the one thing that is
steady is PING times to ANYWHERE on the net of 240ms plus...
For me, playing online games (Americas Army) is now impossible.
Even as late as this, 11.23 at night, I cannot get a server with a ping
lower than 300ms. Just did tracert's and test pings alongside a friend on
messenger and although he gets 50ms pings to servers, I cannot get lower
than 300ms...

My tracert's ALWAYS trip at the first hop out of my router as follows -
2 230 ms 230 ms 199 ms winn-bam-1.inet.ntl.com [194.145.148.190]

and that is a GOOD hop... so you can see its NTL (Virgin) kit that has the
problem.

To add insult to injury, the online support service has disappeared (the
button to access it has gone) and I typed in an online email to complain and
the webpage failed on me just as I hit the send button.

Anyway, any ISP out there to recommend as an alternative.
Virgin have conned me out of £25 per month and they will request a £50
cancellation fee...

frustrated,
g.

Old February 14th 07, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SteveH

Fat Freddy's Cat wrote:

Anyway, any ISP out there to recommend as an alternative.
Virgin have conned me out of £25 per month and they will request a £50
cancellation fee...

I couldn't be happier with BT - I'm on Broadband Option 3.
Alfa 156 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI SE - COSOC KOTL
BOTAFOT #87 - BOTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #
Old February 15th 07, 04:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 14 Feb 2007, "Fat Freddy's Cat" wrote:

and they will request a £50 cancellation fee...

Did they charge an "activation" fee when you signed up ? Many ISPs
will either charge the fee up front (BTWholesale charges them 40+VAT)
or have a 12 months minimum. Most will allow a customer to go earlier
but it is unreasonable to expect them to pay out the activation fee if
a customer decides to leave within a few months. So this part may not
be a 'con' if you consider the activation charge...

(Agree if service doesn't work at all, that it'd be a con to have to pay,
though most ISPs will get refund from BTW if connection never worked
at all, and refund customer afterwards.)

--
www.netdimes.org - mapping the internet.
Join team UK-24x7 (position 135) Let's beat "Italy" :-

Old February 15th 07, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Brown

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 23:31:23 GMT, "Fat Freddy's Cat"
wrote:

Been with Virgin on 8megADSLMax since September and although it started
reasonably poorly, its went well downhill since then...

If you want to drop me an e-mail with full details including full
account details I'll see if I can get someone to help.

Alex

--
Alex Brown
Senior Product Manager
Old February 15th 07, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

"SteveH" wrote in message
Fat Freddy's Cat wrote:

Anyway, any ISP out there to recommend as an alternative.
Virgin have conned me out of £25 per month and they will request a £50
cancellation fee...

I couldn't be happier with BT - I'm on Broadband Option 3.
--

Is it only £50 to get away from Virgin, I thought I had to pay the 12 months
fee (Option 1)

Mike

Old February 15th 07, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fat Freddy's Cat

"Mike" wrote in message

"SteveH" wrote in message
Fat Freddy's Cat wrote:

Anyway, any ISP out there to recommend as an alternative.
Virgin have conned me out of £25 per month and they will request a £50
cancellation fee...

I couldn't be happier with BT - I'm on Broadband Option 3.
--

Is it only £50 to get away from Virgin, I thought I had to pay the 12
months fee (Option 1)

I joined when they offered a monthly contract with the proviso you paid £50
to get out within the year.

g.

Old February 15th 07, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

wrote:

Been with Virgin on 8megADSLMax since September and although
it started reasonably poorly, its went well downhill since then...

If you want to drop me an e-mail with full details including full
account details I'll see if I can get someone to help.
Alex
Alex Brown
Senior Product Manager
Product Management, Virgin Media

Can you do anything about daytime / early evening throttling

If not, then writing to you would be a waste of time

Steve Terry
on Virgin ADSLMax option 2

Old February 15th 07, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Piers James

I've been with Virgin.net ADSL for over 3 completely fault free years now.
Before that I used their dial-up service.

The thing is you generally only hear from people who have bad experiences.
Those of us who are happy don't tend to say anything.

wrote:

Been with Virgin on 8megADSLMax since September and although it started
reasonably poorly, its went well downhill since then...

May be you could answer this one.
I am amazed that, given the public reputation of Virgin.net
that people still sign-up with them. The news groups carry umpteen
really sad stories each week about the quality of the service and of
the support service offered (or should I say poor quality!).

Why do right thinking people still feel compelled to give Branson or
whatever he is called even more money! I gave up on Virgin Trains
years ago, I now fly. I gave up on Virgin dial-up after 2 days. Never
been back. I'm not even tempted.

Maybe no one can answer my question. I sure would like to know what
motivates good sensible people to give away hard earned cash so
easily and regularly.

Fred.

PS

They have just moved in on NTL.
I am also looking for a recommendation!

Old February 17th 07, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Piers James wrote:
I've been with Virgin.net ADSL for over 3 completely fault free
years now. Before that I used their dial-up service.

The thing is you generally only hear from people who have bad
experiences. Those of us who are happy don't tend to say anything.

Think you'll find a lot of the flack isn't coming from the likes of
you Piers, it is coming from the NTL/Blueyonder users who think that
because the name has changed to Virgin things should get better. What
most hadn't realised is the the NTL/Blueyonder group bought the name &
that there is no change in the (mis)management..

..
Old February 19th 07, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo.

"kraftee" wrote in message
Piers James wrote:
I've been with Virgin.net ADSL for over 3 completely fault free
years now. Before that I used their dial-up service.

The thing is you generally only hear from people who have bad
experiences. Those of us who are happy don't tend to say anything.

Think you'll find a lot of the flack isn't coming from the likes of you
Piers, it is coming from the NTL/Blueyonder users who think that because
the name has changed to Virgin things should get better. What most hadn't
realised is the the NTL/Blueyonder group bought the name & that there is
no change in the (mis)management..

1 - There isn't (and never has been) a company called Blueyonder.
2 - You don't buy the Virgin name.
3 - There have been huge management changes ... and are continuing.
4 - We're currently investing a small fortune on the ex-NTL networks.
5 - We're spending £10m to improve customer services.
6 - Hows BT these days ? ;o)