Old July 10th 17, 11:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Richard Treen

Default Newbie confusion over too many DHCP server and firewalls

My old Belkin modem/router was simple enough for me to run a nice
little home LAN. Since then I've had ISP supplied hardware, the latest
of which, had a minimal GUI.

So I got my own separate modem and router.
I'm now accessing the Internet consistently at a good speeds, so no
complaints there.

It's just that when I look into finer configurations I find it quite
confusing. Like 2 DHCP servers, each with different IP ranges?
2 different firewalls. 3 if you include Windows' own.

Is it important to have so many, or is it reasonable to turn the modem
ones off and let the router handle these things?
--

Richard Treen

---