Old July 11th 17, 09:27 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mike Halmarack[_3_]

Default Newbie confusion over too many DHCP server and firewalls

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 07:26:36 +0100, Henry Law
wrote:

On 10/07/17 10:48, Richard Treen wrote:
Is it important to have so many, or is it reasonable to turn the modem
ones off and let the router handle these things?

It's certainly unnecessary (and maybe undesirable) for you to have two
DHCP servers; two firewalls doesn't sound like too bad a plan, in
principle at least.

But are you sure that your modem is what's doing it? Modems that I've
come across are just that, modems, with no other functions in.

Could you post makes, models etc for your various bits of kit?

The ISP provided Technicolor modem/router's Telnet config system was
daunting.
I bought a Linksys WRT1900ACS router then looked around for an ADSL2+
modem. The Draytek Vigor 130 had a reassuring name, so I got one of
those.

Later I found that there is a bit of confusion over the difference
between the "International" version of the Vigor 130, which is said to
be a Modem/Router and the UK version which is Modem only.

So, I'm less than 100% sure whether the DHCP server which is enabled
by default on the modem, is necessary for modem purposes, or is just
an obsolete artifact of the Vigor 130's modem/router version.
As you suggested, the firewall duplication might not be so
problematic.
--

Richard Treen

---