Old July 11th 17, 03:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Richard Treen

Default Newbie confusion over too many DHCP server and firewalls

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 14:07:56 +0100, Henry Law
wrote:

On 11/07/17 09:27, Richard Treen (aka Mike Halmarack) wrote:
So, I'm less than 100% sure whether the DHCP server which is enabled
by default on the modem, is necessary for modem purposes, or is just
an obsolete artifact of the Vigor 130's modem/router version.

I've had a quick look at the manuals and, as you say, they're really
confusing. One that I saw suggests that you can turn off the DHCP
server in the "modem"; have you tried that and if so what happens?

Thanks for looking at the manuals, I appreciate the help.
I've tried it turned off and turned on and it makes no immediate
difference to internet access quality or speed. I don't know if
there'll be other, longer term effects.

It's mainly that I have some plans to access my home system while I'm
travelling abroad and for these purposes I'm pretty sure that I'll
need more understanding and control of the hardware than I currently
have.
--

Richard Treen

---