Orange - Yeah or Nay?

Old February 15th 07, 09:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Duck

Default Orange - Yeah or Nay?

Just took out £35 Orange mobile contract so considering moving from my
satisfactory £15 F2S service to the £5 Orange. Are the broadband and
livebox phone services reliable? I've had a look at thinkbroadband but most
folk only post when the service doesn't come up to scratch.

Old February 15th 07, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham Naylor

Hi,

I've been with Orange (previously Freeserve/Wanadoo until the buy out) for
about 2 years with a "Unlimited account" (Which in reality has a 40GB limit
as most other suppliers), the only problem was a service down for about a
month but this was down to BT who switched me off at the exchange then
denied all knowledge. As for the hardware the livebox was fine when
connected with cables but the supplied USB wireless adaptor kept burning out
(on different PCs) so I eventually bought a Belkin router which works
properly in all modes. I dont' use the phone service so I can't comment.

Hope this helps

Graham

Old February 15th 07, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Giganews

"Duck" wrote in message
Just took out £35 Orange mobile contract so considering moving from my
satisfactory £15 F2S service to the £5 Orange. Are the broadband and
livebox phone services reliable? I've had a look at thinkbroadband but
most folk only post when the service doesn't come up to scratch.

I transferred from Plusnet to Orange BB a month ago after my daughter took
out a mobile contract with them.
The only problem I've had is that using Outlook Express to check my email I
get the following error about 50% of the time. "Account: 'orange', Server:
'pop.orangehome.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH]
Invalid login/password pair', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error:
0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92."
Using Orange Webmail to get my emails works without problem.
The Orange phone service via the Live box can at times have a slightly
distorted sound but is still very intelligible, and with my wife having
relations in America, Australia and the Far East very cheap.
For the cost I'm pleased I moved to Orange.
Regards,
Bernard.

Old February 16th 07, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 09:30:38 -0000, "Duck"
wrote:

Just took out £35 Orange mobile contract so considering moving from my
satisfactory £15 F2S service to the £5 Orange. Are the broadband and
livebox phone services reliable? I've had a look at thinkbroadband but most
folk only post when the service doesn't come up to scratch.

It works for me. The technical information offered on their website is
haphazard to say the least, and in at least one instance just plain
wrong, but the broadband access part of the service itself is fine.

As long as you know how to set up an ADSL router you can throw away
their CD and set it up yourself, though the box will be preconfigured
with a wireless security key chosen by them, so you might as well
leave it because it will presumably be different from everyone else's.

They will choose your login name and password for you, but this
doesn't matter if you use a different ISP for a POP mailbox, which I
do anyway. They don't seem to provide a usenet service, or at least I
couldn't find any reference to one, but I use APN so this doesn't
matter to me either. For basic broadband access it has worked well so
far, and like you I consider it better to pay £5 to Orange for an
8Mb/s service (in my case about 6) with a "fair use" limit of 30GB
than to pay £15-£20 to another ISP that was only giving me 2Mb/s with
a PAYG break point of 3GB.

The Orange Livebox may be locked to their service, but the service
certainly isn't locked to their box. As a consequence I suspect of
right hands not talking to left hands, my previous broadband service
stopped working before the Livebox was delivered, but I guessed what
had happened and just entered my Orange connection details into the
Draytek and it worked fine. (The Draytek didn't have a phone port so I
don't know if that would have worked too).

A word of advice. Check your bill online to see if you're really not
being charged for VOIP calls to Orange mobiles. I was told various
conflicting things about this (There's a bug, you have to register
first, it only applies to calls to Orange contract phones not PAYG,
etc), but it seems to be OK now.

Rod.
Old February 16th 07, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:59:03 -0000, "Giganews"
wrote:

I transferred from Plusnet to Orange BB a month ago after my daughter took
out a mobile contract with them.
The only problem I've had is that using Outlook Express to check my email I
get the following error about 50% of the time. "Account: 'orange', Server:
'pop.orangehome.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH]
Invalid login/password pair', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error:
0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92."

Same here. The password checking on my Orange POP mailbox seems a bit
unreliable and often gives errors like this. I only check it in case
there are system messages, but use a POP mailbox belonging to another
ISP for actual email.

Rod.
Old February 16th 07, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Duck

wrote:

Just took out £35 Orange mobile contract so considering moving from my
satisfactory £15 F2S service to the £5 Orange. Are the broadband and
livebox phone services reliable? I've had a look at thinkbroadband but
most
folk only post when the service doesn't come up to scratch.

Thanks to all for replying, took the plunge and should be hooked up in about
10 days. Hopefully Rodericks granddaughter will be on standby .....

Old February 17th 07, 12:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 22:26:53 -0000, "Duck"
wrote:

Just took out £35 Orange mobile contract so considering moving from my
satisfactory £15 F2S service to the £5 Orange. Are the broadband and
livebox phone services reliable? I've had a look at thinkbroadband but
most
folk only post when the service doesn't come up to scratch.

Thanks to all for replying, took the plunge and should be hooked up in about
10 days. Hopefully Rodericks granddaughter will be on standby .....

:-)
The security code they've programmed into the box is printed on a
label on the base of the box, and also on a sticky label on the
clingfilm they use to wrap the CD package. The one on the box itself
has larger lettering, but is of course not available at the remote
computer, and the label from the CD is almost unreadably small without
a magnifying glass, or an 8 year old with sharp eyes. If you haven't
got either of these, I'd suggest carefully copying the code from the
box onto a piece of paper in large letters. This might seem like a
trivial point, but there are a lot of characters in the code and you
only have to get one of them wrong and it won't connect. It would have
been so easy for them to have printed a bigger label...

Their techncal "help" seems to be concentrated in the wrong areas,
though it would cost nothing to put effort where it really matters, if
anybody put a bit of thought to it. Look on the website, or on their
CD (before you throw it away, which is my best advice about it), and
you'll see stupidly elaborate animations of plugs being pushed into
sockets, but nowhere will it clearly tell you which socket to use for
the phone line and which for the VOIP phone. It'll tell you to use the
red ethernet socket even though it doesn't matter which one you use,
and it'll tell you that you must have DHCP on or it won't connect to
the internet, which is nonsense. (DHCP is on by default, but you can
switch it off and have fixed local addresses if you want). You'll have
to click through page after page of HTML to read the complete story,
where a single PDF file you could download and print out would be much
simpler, but there doesn't seem to be one.

But throw away the CD, log into 192.168.1.1 as you would for a generic
router, just enter the name and password details you've been given,
and you'll have an excellent internet service.

Then print some sticky labels in English for the indicator lamps on
the box because the existing labelling is in the form of symbols in
WHITE print on a WHITE background, which makes me wonder what the
people who thought of this must have instead of brains.

Rod.
Old February 17th 07, 03:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Hird

In article ,
Roderick Stewart wrote:
I'd suggest carefully copying the code from the
box onto a piece of paper in large letters. This might seem like a
trivial point, but there are a lot of characters in the code and you
only have to get one of them wrong and it won't connect. It would have
been so easy for them to have printed a bigger label...

And remember it'#s in HEX (or mine was) so and "l" s or "0"s are ones or
zeros - not lower case "L"s or upper case "o"s.

--
Roger Hird

Website:
http://roger.hird.orpheusweb.co.uk

Old February 20th 07, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Victor Delta

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
The only problem I've had is that using Outlook Express to check my email
get the following error about 50% of the time. "Account: 'orange',
Server:
'pop.orangehome.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [AUTH]
Invalid login/password pair', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error:
0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92."

Same here. The password checking on my Orange POP mailbox seems a bit
unreliable and often gives errors like this. I only check it in case
there are system messages, but use a POP mailbox belonging to another
ISP for actual email.

Ditto ditto! Although curiously the problem hasn't been so bad over the last
couple of weeks.