ISP /Wireless router/firewall choice

Old February 15th 07, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Default ISP /Wireless router/firewall choice

Hi

Now that the computers in this household are multiplying I am about to
take the jump from dialup to broadband. I currently have 2 desktops
with the Zonealarm firewall and a laptop running the Vista firewall.

I have been looking at the current broadband deals, BT is offering a
hub for 30 with option1 and AOL is offereing a free wireless router.

I notice that some wireless routers contain a firewall. Can anbody
tell me if the above hub/router contain a firewall and if they do not
would it be a better option to buy a wireless router conatining a
Firewall rather than relying on the separate software firewalls in my
three computers.

Any comments on BT or AOL as a choice or any other deals,
also welcome.

TIA

Dave
Old February 15th 07, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Retired

"David" wrote in message
Hi

Now that the computers in this household are multiplying I am about to
take the jump from dialup to broadband. I currently have 2 desktops
with the Zonealarm firewall and a laptop running the Vista firewall.

I have been looking at the current broadband deals, BT is offering a
hub for 30 with option1 and AOL is offereing a free wireless router.

I notice that some wireless routers contain a firewall. Can anbody
tell me if the above hub/router contain a firewall and if they do not
would it be a better option to buy a wireless router conatining a
Firewall rather than relying on the separate software firewalls in my
three computers.

Any comments on BT or AOL as a choice or any other deals,
also welcome.

TIA

Dave

I personally would not choose an ISP on the basis of what hardware they
supply. Far better to pick the best ISP to suit your needs and then select a
suitable modem/router. If they supply a cheap USB modem, this is useful in
getting the system working initially and avoids arguments about "your
hardware" if it doesn't!
I was also strongly advised to keep the individual firewalls working in
addition to the one in the router

Retired

Old February 15th 07, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:09:55 -0000, "Retired"
wrote:

"David" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Neither would I.
I have assumed that both AOL and BT seem to be good bets, however my
thoughts were that if the supplied hardware was lacking I might as
well buy a good wireless router with a firewall myself. The BT hub
appears to have a firewall, still not sure about the AOL offering.

And thanks both for your comments regarding keeping the software
firewalls.

Dave