turning off wireless aspect of BT home hub ?

Old February 15th 07, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jack Fate

Default turning off wireless aspect of BT home hub ?

I have a BT homehub.

No with my sons away at university (and my wife having dropped the laptop) I
don't need wireless for the moment.
The PC is connected by ethernet cable.

With my previous Netgear router I dont think there was a facility to turn
off wireless. But at least I could have removed the ariel. Can't do this
with Homehub.

Why would I want to do it ? Just why have radio waves around that you dont
need.?

If its a matter of going into "Advanced" in the Manager , I have not managed
to get what I think is my username/password to work. So thats another issue.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Richard

Old February 15th 07, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SJP

"Jack Fate" wrote in message
I have a BT homehub.

No with my sons away at university (and my wife having dropped the laptop)
I don't need wireless for the moment.
The PC is connected by ethernet cable.

With my previous Netgear router I dont think there was a facility to turn
off wireless. But at least I could have removed the ariel. Can't do this
with Homehub.

Why would I want to do it ? Just why have radio waves around that you dont
need.?

If its a matter of going into "Advanced" in the Manager , I have not
managed to get what I think is my username/password to work. So thats
another issue.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Richard

username and password should be admin unless you changed them

Old February 15th 07, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Digby

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 18:25:32 -0000, "Jack Fate"
wrote:

I have a BT homehub.

No with my sons away at university (and my wife having dropped the laptop) I
don't need wireless for the moment.
The PC is connected by ethernet cable.

With my previous Netgear router I dont think there was a facility to turn
off wireless. But at least I could have removed the ariel. Can't do this
with Homehub.

Why would I want to do it ? Just why have radio waves around that you dont
need.?

If its a matter of going into "Advanced" in the Manager , I have not managed
to get what I think is my username/password to work. So thats another issue.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Richard

To turn off wireless you will need to get into "Advanced" in the
manager. The default username is "admin" and the password is "admin".
However there was an incompatibility between Internet Explorer 7 and
the firmware in the hub which stopped the password being accepted.

The solution is to use another browser (Firefox) or wait until the hub
firmware is automatically updated to version 6.2.2.6, this has been
under way for several weeks.

If you are using the news.btinternet.com server you can get further
help by joining bt.broadband.support, http://hubbub.labs.bt.com/ is
also useful.
Old February 16th 07, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jack Fate

wrote:

[...]

Both replies were useful in that I have now got into "Advanced" via the
"admin" default , I did not know about that.
However It does not seem obvious once in as to how to turn off wireless & I
am loath to tinker.
Is a matter of unticking "interface enabled" in the wireless configuration.?
Many thanks for the help so far.
Richard

Old February 16th 07, 02:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Digby

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 23:31:17 -0000, "Jack Fate"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

You've successfully negotiated the maze of menus, so just untick that
box and it should turn wireless off, well it does on mine.
Old February 16th 07, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jack Fate

"Digby" a wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 23:31:17 -0000, "Jack Fate"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Result ! Many thanks
Richard

Old February 16th 07, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

"Jack Fate" wrote in message

Why would I want to do it ? Just why have radio waves around that you dont
need.?

I've been using wireless for a couple of months now and never considered
this. The router is never turned off, are there any reported health concerns
ala mobile phone scares reference wireless. Throw in my wireless mouse for
good measure.

John

Old February 16th 07, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Digby

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 21:21:04 -0000, "JC"
wrote:

"Jack Fate" wrote in message

Why would I want to do it ? Just why have radio waves around that you dont
need.?

I've been using wireless for a couple of months now and never considered
this. The router is never turned off, are there any reported health concerns
ala mobile phone scares reference wireless. Throw in my wireless mouse for
good measure.

John

I would have thought that the most important reason for disabling an
unused wireless connection was to improve security.

As far as radio waves are concerned googling on "2.4GHz" will reveal a
multitude of devices operating at that frequency, including

Wi-Fi
Microwave ovens
Bluetooth devices
Baby alarms
TV senders
Surveillance cameras
Cordless phones

So it's a bit hard to avoid some exposure.

More info here http://www.aegis-systems.co.uk/download/ISM2.pdf about
sources of 2.4GHz.

Old February 17th 07, 12:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

"Digby" wrote in message

As far as radio waves are concerned googling on "2.4GHz" will reveal a
multitude of devices operating at that frequency, including

snip list

So it's a bit hard to avoid some exposure.

Thanks for that, going back to the OPs probable security reasoning for
disabling the wireless. I went wireless a couple of months ago. The BT
router I purchased came with 128 bit WEP security as default. Lately though
I set up a Belkin for a friend and the default settings have no security set
up on it. Its quite capable of all the normal security systems but I wonder
how many people are happy just to get connected and don't bother set up any
security leaving an unsecured network?

So leading on from that what's the legal implications if you connect to your
neighbours unsecured network? What offence if any have you committed?
Googling doesn't come up with a definitive answer.

John