Sipgate German local numbers

Old February 16th 07, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jupiter

Default Sipgate German local numbers

A friend of mine has relatives in Germany so when registering with
Sipgate he chose the option of a German number for incoming/outgoing
PSTN calls. The number allocated is 0048 1801 ************
German 01801 numbers appear to be like our 0845 numbers, i.e. 'shared
cost'
I can't call his German number from the UK as I get a recorded message
'this number is not available' as soon as 1801 is dialled. I don't
think you can dial our 0845 numbers from abroad either, so does anyone
know if I'm right in thinking that this number can only be used from
within Germany? If so, that will suit him fine but it will be no good
him giving out the number to people outside Germany.

Old February 16th 07, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Jupiter" wrote in message

A friend of mine has relatives in Germany so when
registering with Sipgate he chose the option of a German
number for incoming/outgoing PSTN calls. The number
allocated is 0048 1801 ************
German 01801 numbers appear to be like our 0845 numbers,
i.e. 'shared cost'
I can't call his German number from the UK as I get a
recorded message 'this number is not available' as soon
as 1801 is dialled. I don't think you can dial our 0845
numbers from abroad either, so does anyone know if I'm
right in thinking that this number can only be used from
within Germany? If so, that will suit him fine but it
will be no good him giving out the number to people
outside Germany.

Are you sure of the number..? The country code for Germany is 49 not 48.
I'm not sure if 1801 numbers are generally usable from outside Germany as
I've never used one. However the number will be callable from Sipgate, but
do remember you will have to dial the full PSTN number as you can't dial
SIP ID's in Germany from the UK and vice versa.

Did he email Sipgate tech support..? What did they say..?

Ivor

Old February 16th 07, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

on 16/02/2007, Ivor Jones supposed :
"Jupiter" wrote in message

[...]

It's also worth pointing out that if the subject of this thread applies
for a completely fresh Sipgate.de account, using their German
relative's address, he will get a proper German "geographic" number.

Old February 16th 07, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

"Jupiter" wrote in message

[...]

You don't say, in your post, whether you use voip. If so you really
don't need to call a landline number. Just find out his IP address
and call that. Alternatively call via a Sipbroker access code, or, if
you haven't got voip, try calling the Sipbroker number via a
Sipbroker PSTN number, such as 0161-660-8447 (Manchester number).
When it answers enter *777 (for Sipgate Germany) followed by your
friend's sipgate IP number, then #.
For other access codes etc. check out sipbroker.com.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old February 17th 07, 08:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jupiter

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:06:06 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"Jupiter" wrote in message

[...]

You're quite right about the 0049 - my typing error!
We've established that the number works fine within Germany. He
arranged calls from relatives in Wurzen and Leipzig. No problems at
all and they got charged the local rate for 0801. The number is not
useable from outside Germany but that's not a problem to him.
BTW, I have called him from Sipgate with his Sipgate ID several times
and not had to use the full PSTN number.
Old February 17th 07, 08:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jupiter

"Jupiter" wrote in message

[...]

Good point, but wouldn't Sipgate know that his IP address was in a
block allocated to a UK ISP and sus out the ploy?
They'll have to be careful about this because it's a legal requirement
in Germany that the user be resident there.
Old February 17th 07, 08:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jupiter

"Jupiter" wrote in message

[...]

It wasn't for me. It's for relatives in Germany without computers to
be able to call him at local rates. We've established that they can,
without problems, but the 01801 numbers don't work from outside
Germany, just like our 0845. When my son was working in Holland, he
had a hell of a job contacting the Halifax Bank because they would
only provide an 0845 Call Centre number. I had to act as intermediary
for him and argue with them until they gave me a geographic branch
number which he was able to call.
Old February 17th 07, 09:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Jupiter wrote :

It's also worth pointing out that if the subject of this thread applies
for a completely fresh Sipgate.de account, using their German
relative's address, he will get a proper German "geographic" number.

Good point, but wouldn't Sipgate know that his IP address was in a
block allocated to a UK ISP and sus out the ploy?

Nope.

They'll have to be careful about this because it's a legal requirement
in Germany that the user be resident there.

Who'll have to be careful? Your friend or his relatives? His relatives
would be users - they want to be able to call a German number when
speaking to a relative in the UK. What's wrong with that?

Old February 17th 07, 09:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Jupiter used his keyboard to write :

It wasn't for me. It's for relatives in Germany without computers to
be able to call him at local rates. We've established that they can,
without problems, but the 01801 numbers don't work from outside
Germany, just like our 0845.

Why would you want to ring a German non-geo from outside Germany?
Simply have a UK local number as well as the German number.....and call
the UK number instead.

Old February 17th 07, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Powys-Lybbe

In message of 17 Feb, Jupiter wrote:

snip

It wasn't for me. It's for relatives in Germany without computers to
be able to call him at local rates. We've established that they can,
without problems, but the 01801 numbers don't work from outside
Germany, just like our 0845. When my son was working in Holland, he
had a hell of a job contacting the Halifax Bank because they would
only provide an 0845 Call Centre number. I had to act as intermediary
for him and argue with them until they gave me a geographic branch
number which he was able to call.

This site usually solves that sort of problem:

http://www.saynoto0870.co.uk/

--
*************For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/