Orange - Yeah or Nay?

Old February 16th 07, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Hird

Default Orange - Yeah or Nay?

I upgraded my mobile phone account - and took advantage of the free
broadband offer for a second property I use.

Getting it set up and getting it to work, initially, were a nightmare -
though Orange were frantically busy and having major internal IT problems
at the time - but since it has been working it has been fine and seems
good value.

On the basis of my own experience I wouldn't try to set up a computer on
the Livebox by wireless - set it up using the ethernet conection and then
migrate to wireless.

During set-up etc I had terrible problems with this and other things - not
helped by well meaning but non-technical call centre staff working from
limited scripts! There are some helpful customer complaints people - but
it is hard to track them down.

RogerH

--
Roger Hird

Website:
http://roger.hird.orpheusweb.co.uk

Old February 16th 07, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 12:30:34 +0000 (GMT), Roger Hird
wrote:

On the basis of my own experience I wouldn't try to set up a computer on
the Livebox by wireless - set it up using the ethernet conection and then
migrate to wireless.

I'd agree with this as a general principle - always have at least one
computer in the system that can be connected by cable, even if it's
only for setting up - but having said that, the wireless computer I
set up for my daughter on her Orange Livebox was an absolute doddle,
provided you don't count the time I wasted on account of me entering
the security code wrongly. All you do is press the button on the box,
then within 10 minutes enter the code on the wireless computer. It
didn't help that the printing on the label is so tiny, and that in the
font they use a capital D can be mistaken for a zero, but with the use
of a magnifying glass and the assistance of my 8 year old
granddaughter to verify the letters with her superior eyesight, we got
it working very easily.

During set-up etc I had terrible problems with this and other things - not
helped by well meaning but non-technical call centre staff working from
limited scripts! There are some helpful customer complaints people - but
it is hard to track them down.

I think it's like that everywhere. Nobody places a value on technical
expertise any more, so it isn't economically viable to employ people
who've got any.

Rod.