Sky Broadband - service overlap?

Old February 16th 07, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Default Sky Broadband - service overlap?

Sky Broadband sent me a message last night to say that their Connect package
(normal BT ADSL) was now enabled on my line....it MAY be but it's impossible
to tell as the username/password are embedded in their router - which has not
arrived yet!.

Interestingly my OLD ISP is certainly still also working! So are Sky doing
the sensible thing and allowing BOTH ADSL services until they see a
connection from their router? I thought that, at the point of migration,
the selection barring (SSB) in the DSLAM got updated.
Old February 16th 07, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

On Feb 16, 7:26 pm, Brian McIlwrath wrote:

Interestingly my OLD ISP is certainly still also working! So are Sky doing
the sensible thing and allowing BOTH ADSL services until they see a
connection from their router? I thought that, at the point of migration,
the selection barring (SSB) in the DSLAM got updated.

some migrations seem to allow parallel running, others not. Hard to
say if its by design or if the "old" ISP is quicker in some cases than
others to remove the login details from their RADIUS servers.

Phil

Old February 16th 07, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

PhilT wrote:

: Interestingly my OLD ISP is certainly still also working! So are Sky doing
: the sensible thing and allowing BOTH ADSL services until they see a
: connection from their router? I thought that, at the point of migration,
: the selection barring (SSB) in the DSLAM got updated.

: some migrations seem to allow parallel running, others not. Hard to
: say if its by design or if the "old" ISP is quicker in some cases than
: others to remove the login details from their RADIUS servers.

I guess that Sky Broadband now have control of my SSB setting on the local
exchange DSLAM (as OpenReach seem to be delegating most things) - if they
set this to them only it would also kill things - independent of the old
ISPs radius server settings.

The way that they Broadband depends on the arrival of hardware what they
(appear to ) have done is very sensible!
Old February 19th 07, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Brian McIlwrath wrote:
Sky Broadband sent me a message last night to say that their
Connect package (normal BT ADSL) was now enabled on my line....it
MAY be but it's impossible to tell as the username/password are
embedded in their router - which has not arrived yet!.

Interestingly my OLD ISP is certainly still also working! So are
Sky doing the sensible thing and allowing BOTH ADSL services until
they see a connection from their router? I thought that, at the
point of migration,
the selection barring (SSB) in the DSLAM got updated.

Speaking from personal experience there was a 3 day overlap, that is 3
days of service from my old ISP before I hit the 2 month problem
caused by SKYNET installers, so yes you may get an overlap but it is
also possible that the exchange work hasn't been done yet. As soon as
it is then you won't be able to connect until the SKYNET router hits
your door mat (or get thrown over the back garden gate, which ever is
more likely)..