Are all the sockets enabled?

Old February 16th 07, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

Default Are all the sockets enabled?

If i get broadband on my line does this mean that all the sockets in my
house have broadband and i can plug my modem into any of them?

Old February 16th 07, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 20:12:22 -0000, "Mike" mused:

If i get broadband on my line does this mean that all the sockets in my
house have broadband and i can plug my modem into any of them?

If the phone works on them all, then usually yes.

This does depend on the state of the wiring though as ADSL is a little
less forgiving than voice on ropey extension cabling.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old February 17th 07, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 20:19:13 +0000, Lurch
wrote:

If i get broadband on my line does this mean that all the sockets in my
house have broadband and i can plug my modem into any of them?

If the phone works on them all, then usually yes.

This does depend on the state of the wiring though as ADSL is a little
less forgiving than voice on ropey extension cabling.

I've been using a temporary extension to an upstairs room for the past
couple of weeks while my kitchen and living room are being modified.
The cable goes up the stairwell, tied to the bannister for security,
under the door to the spare bedroom which is my temporary office, over
the top of the inside of the door frame, retained by 3 panel pins
along the top, down the back of a bookcase where the excess is bundled
up with a tangle of other cables. The microfilter is plugged into the
end of this, and thence to a cordless phone base station and the
router, which stand within inches of each other and within inches of a
second cordless phone base station for the VOIP phone. Everything
works perfectly. The electrons don't care if it's neat or not.

Rod.
Old February 17th 07, 12:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 00:33:59 +0000, Roderick Stewart
mused:

wrote:

[...]

A decent extension cable strewn untidily behind a bookcase is not what
I meant. I was referring to dodgy connections, crappy cable, damaged
cables etc...
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old February 17th 07, 07:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Motion

"Mike" wrote in message
If i get broadband on my line does this mean that all the sockets in my
house have broadband and i can plug my modem into any of them?

Your best off getting a Wireless ADSL Router and pluging it into your Master
Socket.

Old February 17th 07, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

"Motion" wrote in message

If i get broadband on my line does this mean that all the sockets in my
house have broadband and i can plug my modem into any of them?

Your best off getting a Wireless ADSL Router and pluging it into your
Master

That would be the easiest. Fit a Master face plate splitter socket like this
http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php or this
http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm#NTE5 Use the filterered output
terminals on the back of it for the rest of your installation and you won't
have any need for dangly microfilters anywhere.

Old February 17th 07, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 00:52:05 +0000, Lurch
wrote:

A decent extension cable strewn untidily behind a bookcase is not what
I meant. I was referring to dodgy connections, crappy cable, damaged
cables etc...

Fair enough. I thought you might be concerned about the fact that the
frequencies involved are effectively RF, and that lashing lots of
unscreened cable all over the place might not serve it well. Some
people adopt more paranoid aproaches for *audio* frequencies where
there is really no need, but ADSL signals go up to about 1MHz, which
is in the medium wave radio broadcasting band, so there are genuine
reasons for expecting problems. The lengths of unscreened cable I see
installed all over houses and quite successfully carrying these RF
signals are comparable with the sorts of cable runs I remember
stringing up from trees as a teenager in order to pick up radiated RF
broadcast signals. I'm surprised that ADSL works as well as it does.

Rod.
Old February 17th 07, 02:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 17 Feb 2007, Roderick Stewart wrote:

The lengths of unscreened cable I see installed all over houses and
quite successfully carrying these RF signals are comparable with
the sorts of cable runs I remember stringing up from trees as a
teenager in order to pick up radiated RF broadcast signals.
I'm surprised that ADSL works as well as it does.

Yup... my 10m 'flat' phone extension (which might be criticised by some)
works well. It doesn't really compare with the 100'+ longwire I had back
when I was a teenager though :-) (front garden was 60', wire went out of
the back bedroom to a pole, then supported by a pulley in our side alley
so I could take the wire up to the level of the chimney stack, out to a
tree at the end of my neighbour's garden, and down through that tree a
few feet (so it was mostly at 25' to 35' feet above ground).

Short-wave was a great hobby, and hearing RNZI was always a nice catch,
but later on, satellite/ WRN.org/ and the net have proved reliable,
cheap, and of good audio quality, of course :-)
Old February 17th 07, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linker3000

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, but the ADSL signal can get mighty ****ed off by noise caused by
poor joints/extra connectors, stray capacitance and weird inductances.