SKY BROADBAND

Old February 17th 07, 11:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Boomhauer

Default SKY BROADBAND

I've just requested a MAC from namesco.

I'm going with Sky as although their service (on paper) doesn't look as good
as namesco's (according to thinkbroadband.com) - I can't imagine it being
much worse and for £10 extra on my Sky bill that's very tempting.....

Questions though...

1) Do Sky have a news server and if so what's the address? If not are there
any free ones I can use with Vista's Windows Mail program?

2) I've heard I have to use their hardware. Is there a way of me using my
own wired Netgear DG834 router?

Thanks.

Old February 17th 07, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

"Dave Boomhauer" wrote in message
I've just requested a MAC from namesco.

I'm going with Sky as although their service (on paper) doesn't look as
good as namesco's (according to thinkbroadband.com) - I can't imagine it
being much worse and for £10 extra on my Sky bill that's very
tempting.....

Questions though...

1) Do Sky have a news server and if so what's the address? If not are
there any free ones I can use with Vista's Windows Mail program?

No, they don't have a news server. There are plenty of free ones around
though.

2) I've heard I have to use their hardware. Is there a way of me using my
own wired Netgear DG834 router?

The supplied router is of good quality and has Sky's firmware on it. There
is a simple hack that will allow you to discover your ADSL username &
password. Unfortunately, if you use the details in another device, you will
be breaking the conditions of service and could be disconnected.

see http://www.skyuser.co.uk/ for some very useful discussions/tips

Old February 17th 07, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dave @ stejonda

In message , Dave
Boomhauer writes
I've just requested a MAC from namesco.

I'm going with Sky as although their service (on paper) doesn't look as
good as namesco's (according to thinkbroadband.com) - I can't imagine
it being much worse and for £10 extra on my Sky bill that's very
tempting.....

Questions though...

1) Do Sky have a news server and if so what's the address? If not are
there any free ones I can use with Vista's Windows Mail program?

There are plenty of free news servers around - look back through this
newsgroup for references. I'm not sure what Vista's Mail program is
capable of but you need a usenet-capable program to download and read
newsgroups - again, look back through this newsgroup for references.

2) I've heard I have to use their hardware. Is there a way of me using
my own wired Netgear DG834 router?

Apparently so (lbttnfr) but since their hardware is in fact a Netgear
DG834 why bother?

--
dave @ stejonda
Old February 17th 07, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 11:40:19 GMT, "Jono" mused:

2) I've heard I have to use their hardware. Is there a way of me using my
own wired Netgear DG834 router?

The supplied router is of good quality and has Sky's firmware on it.

Although AFAIAA the supplied router is actually a Netgear DG834 so no
worries there.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old February 17th 07, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 11:40:19 GMT, "Jono" mused:

2) I've heard I have to use their hardware. Is there a way of me
using my
own wired Netgear DG834 router?

The supplied router is of good quality and has Sky's firmware on it.

Although AFAIAA the supplied router is actually a Netgear DG834 so
no
worries there.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Just being picky but it is a DG834G (with a lot of settings locked
down, remember to turn the UPNP setting off it makes the box more
stable)

Old February 17th 07, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 17:10:39 -0000, "kraftee"
mused:

Although AFAIAA the supplied router is actually a Netgear DG834 so
no
worries there.

Just being picky but it is a DG834G (with a lot of settings locked
down, remember to turn the UPNP setting off it makes the box more
stable)

Hmm, I did put a 'G' there (well, it started out as an 'n' for some
reason, but it did end up with a 'G')!
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old February 17th 07, 08:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steveybar

Just being picky but it is a DG834G (with a lot of settings locked down,
remember to turn the UPNP setting off it makes the box more stable)

Just being more picky :-) its actually a Netgear DG834GT.

Superb wireless router, providing a great broadband service.

Old February 17th 07, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"steveybar" wrote in message
Just being picky but it is a DG834G (with a lot of settings locked
down, remember to turn the UPNP setting off it makes the box more
stable)

Just being more picky :-) its actually a Netgear DG834GT.

Superb wireless router, providing a great broadband service.

mumble, mumble mumble......still have to reboot mine if I do any heavy
downloading or if the snr goes to low mumble mumble mumble...