OT; Domain Names useage

Old February 18th 07, 08:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Motion

Default OT; Domain Names useage

Just wondering is a UK Individual allowed to use a Personal Domain name for
business use?

I.e. Register the domain for a non-trading individual, but is infact using
it to run a company from?

--
Your village just called. They're missing an idiot.

Old February 18th 07, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Motion wrote:

Just wondering is a UK Individual allowed to use a Personal Domain name for
business use?

Me.co.uk ?

I.e. Register the domain for a non-trading individual, but is infact using
it to run a company from?

If it's used for a company you have to declare the trading address. For personal
use you don't have to disclose your full details.

Graham

Old February 18th 07, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Motion wrote:

Just wondering is a UK Individual allowed to use a Personal Domain name
for
business use?

Me.co.uk ?

I.e. Register the domain for a non-trading individual, but is infact
using
it to run a company from?

If it's used for a company you have to declare the trading address. For
personal
use you don't have to disclose your full details.

If it is used for any business purpose then the details have to be made
available.
That includes charities, associations and clubs.
Its only domains used for truly private purposes that can opt out of the
whois.

..me.uk can not be used by a business at all.

--

Gordon Hudson || Hostroute.com Ltd
e-mail:ghudson [at] hostroute.net

Old February 19th 07, 07:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Motion

"Gordon Hudson" wrote in message

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Motion wrote:

Just wondering is a UK Individual allowed to use a Personal Domain name
for
business use?

Me.co.uk ?

I.e. Register the domain for a non-trading individual, but is infact
using
it to run a company from?

If it's used for a company you have to declare the trading address. For
personal
use you don't have to disclose your full details.

If it is used for any business purpose then the details have to be made
available.
That includes charities, associations and clubs.
Its only domains used for truly private purposes that can opt out of the
whois.

.me.uk can not be used by a business at all.

The domin I'm on about is:

Brightstaronline.co.uk
Registrant type: UK Individual

Registrant's address:
The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
Address omitted from the WHOIS service.

Old February 19th 07, 07:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 07:29:51 UTC, "Motion"
wrote:

The domin I'm on about is:

Brightstaronline.co.uk
Registrant type: UK Individual

Registrant's address:
The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
Address omitted from the WHOIS service.

They are definitely not allowed to do that - they are clearly trading
from the website.

A complaint to Nominet normally resolves this very quickly. I have 5
minutes spare, so I've done that!

http://www.voipinside.net
Old February 19th 07, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave N

In message , Motion
writes
The domin I'm on about is:

Brightstaronline.co.uk
Registrant type: UK Individual

Registrant's address:
The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
Address omitted from the WHOIS service.

Nevertheless, if you do some DNS look-ups on that domain you will find
that their website appears to be hosted by secureserver.net in the USA.
The domain advertises a single MX server with the domain name of
brightstaronline.info which employs the same IP address as the main
domain A record, the second nameserver and the WWW record.

The latter domain name was registered through Godaddy and were you to
look it up via WHOIS, you would find a registered name and address in
Hull which uses the same 0871 telephone numbers as listed on their
website. I can see no point in repeating the registered details on
Usenet; they can be found very easily by those who need to know.

The WHOIS record states that the latter domain was created on 28 January
2007 and, if it means what I think it means, they have only just started
up in business. If that is true, perhaps they can be "cut a little bit
of slack" while they try to get their business off the ground? They may
have simply made a mistake.

I don't know and I am only speculating, but I am suggesting that a
witch-hunt might be OTT in the absence of all of the facts. I am
certainly not suggesting that you have improper motives, rather that
this being Usenet there is a risk that any Tom, Dick or Harry reading it
who has a loose grip on reality, might go looking for trouble for the
sake of it. In other words, if the current lack of details for the
co.uk registration causes you a problem why not 'phone and ask them, or
email them? It should only cost pence, even at 0871 rates. OTOH if it
just makes you wary of doing business with them, then look elsewhere -
it would be their loss.

Just IMHO.

--
Dave N

N.B. Mail to nospam is rejected. Reply-To does work.
Old February 19th 07, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Motion

wrote:

The domin I'm on about is:

Brightstaronline.co.uk
Registrant type: UK Individual

Registrant's address:
The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
Address omitted from the WHOIS service.

They are definitely not allowed to do that - they are clearly trading
from the website.

A complaint to Nominet normally resolves this very quickly. I have 5
minutes spare, so I've done that!

Let me know what they say.. my email is valid.

Old February 19th 07, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

wrote:

The domin I'm on about is:

Brightstaronline.co.uk
Registrant type: UK Individual

Registrant's address:
The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
Address omitted from the WHOIS service.

They are definitely not allowed to do that - they are clearly trading
from the website.

A complaint to Nominet normally resolves this very quickly. I have 5
minutes spare, so I've done that!

Let me know what they say.. my email is valid.

See later reply. They've filled in the WHOIS contact details for the
co.uk one, but left the .org.uk one alone as it's not in use.

http://www.voipinside.net