Cannot get ADSL Max even with these line stats

Old February 18th 07, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
William Meayer

Default Cannot get ADSL Max even with these line stats

I have a reasonable quality line speed with the stats listed below (click
link), but Tiscali say our line is not suitable for ADSL Max service. Can
anyone explain why this is the case? They say I can only get 2mbps
(standard ADSL).

http://tinyurl.com/yuy2gm

Bill

Old February 18th 07, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"William Meayer" wrote in message
I have a reasonable quality line speed with the stats listed below
(click
link), but Tiscali say our line is not suitable for ADSL Max
service. Can
anyone explain why this is the case? They say I can only get 2mbps
(standard ADSL).

http://tinyurl.com/yuy2gm

??????
Your own stats say you have a 4Mb+ synch already....

Old February 18th 07, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SJP

"William Meayer" wrote in message
I have a reasonable quality line speed with the stats listed below (click
link), but Tiscali say our line is not suitable for ADSL Max service. Can
anyone explain why this is the case? They say I can only get 2mbps
(standard ADSL).

http://tinyurl.com/yuy2gm

Bill

Those stats seem to suggest you already have adsl max

Old February 18th 07, 12:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"SJP" wrote in message

"William Meayer" wrote in message
I have a reasonable quality line speed with the stats listed below (click
link), but Tiscali say our line is not suitable for ADSL Max service.
Can
anyone explain why this is the case? They say I can only get 2mbps
(standard ADSL).

http://tinyurl.com/yuy2gm

Those stats seem to suggest you already have adsl max

Interesting that he's getting an upstream speed of 832 kbps with attenuation
of 12 dBand noise margin of 12 dB, whereas my line (which gets 8M
downstream) only gets 448 kbps with lower attenuation (6) and higher noise
margin (24).

Is there a trade-off which tries to maximise downstream speed at all costs,
even if it's at the expense of a lower upstream speed?

Old February 18th 07, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Martin Underwood" [email protected] wrote in message

"SJP" wrote in message

"William Meayer" wrote in message
I have a reasonable quality line speed with the stats listed below
(click
link), but Tiscali say our line is not suitable for ADSL Max
service. Can
anyone explain why this is the case? They say I can only get
2mbps
(standard ADSL).

http://tinyurl.com/yuy2gm

Those stats seem to suggest you already have adsl max

Interesting that he's getting an upstream speed of 832 kbps with
attenuation of 12 dBand noise margin of 12 dB, whereas my line
(which gets 8M downstream) only gets 448 kbps with lower attenuation
(6) and higher noise margin (24).

Is there a trade-off which tries to maximise downstream speed at all
costs, even if it's at the expense of a lower upstream speed?

Think you'll find it's more to do with LLU...

Me thinks the OP is on LLU & is asking the wrong request. Rather than
asking for MAX he should be asking for ADSL2, as MAX (as such) AIUI is
not available on LLU whilst ADSL2 is (faster achievable download
speed, mine went up by 2Mb+, & faster upload as well).

Old February 18th 07, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Soruk

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 12:09:56 -0000, Martin Underwood [email protected] wrote:

"SJP" wrote in message

"William Meayer" wrote in message
I have a reasonable quality line speed with the stats listed below (click
link), but Tiscali say our line is not suitable for ADSL Max service.
Can
anyone explain why this is the case? They say I can only get 2mbps
(standard ADSL).

http://tinyurl.com/yuy2gm

Those stats seem to suggest you already have adsl max

Interesting that he's getting an upstream speed of 832 kbps with attenuation
of 12 dBand noise margin of 12 dB, whereas my line (which gets 8M
downstream) only gets 448 kbps with lower attenuation (6) and higher noise
margin (24).

Is there a trade-off which tries to maximise downstream speed at all costs,
even if it's at the expense of a lower upstream speed?

No, there are two different Max products, the one usually used for
residential offerings has a maximum of 448Kbit/sec upstream, the more
expensive business ones have a maximum of 832Kbit/sec.

Mail Me Anywhere - http://www.MailMeAnywhere.com/ - Mobile email
Old February 18th 07, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Soruk" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 12:09:56 -0000, Martin Underwood [email protected] wrote:

Interesting that he's getting an upstream speed of 832 kbps with
attenuation
of 12 dBand noise margin of 12 dB, whereas my line (which gets 8M
downstream) only gets 448 kbps with lower attenuation (6) and higher noise
margin (24).

Is there a trade-off which tries to maximise downstream speed at all
costs,
even if it's at the expense of a lower upstream speed?

No, there are two different Max products, the one usually used for
residential offerings has a maximum of 448Kbit/sec upstream, the more
expensive business ones have a maximum of 832Kbit/sec.

Ah! Yes I suppose that makes sense. I hadn't realised that there were
several different flavours of ADSL Max.

It's a shame that ADSL wasn't planned differently so that the *ratio* of
upstream to downstream remained fixed but both increased as the quality of
the line improved so people with good lines got the benefit both for
uploading and downloading. I'd willingly sacrifice a bit of downstream speed
(eg 8 Mbps reduced to 7 Mbps) if it meant I got a corresponding improvement
in upload speed from 450 Mbps to 1450 Mbps. For for sending emails and for
uploading web sites (especially if your ISP doesn't keep a backup so you
have to reload the site from your own backup if they lose it), upload speed
is important.

Old February 18th 07, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

William Meayer wrote:

I have a reasonable quality line speed with the stats listed below (click
link), but Tiscali say our line is not suitable for ADSL Max service. Can
anyone explain why this is the case? They say I can only get 2mbps
(standard ADSL).

Probably Tiscali policy.

Try another ISP. In reality it's not a problem.

Graham

Old February 18th 07, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

Martin Underwood wrote on Sun, 18 Feb 2007 at 13:57:10:
It's a shame that ADSL wasn't planned differently so that the *ratio*
of upstream to downstream remained fixed but both increased as the
quality of the line improved so people with good lines got the benefit
both for uploading and downloading. I'd willingly sacrifice a bit of
downstream speed (eg 8 Mbps reduced to 7 Mbps) if it meant I got a
corresponding improvement in upload speed from 450 Mbps to 1450 Mbps.
For for sending emails and for uploading web sites (especially if your
ISP doesn't keep a backup so you have to reload the site from your own
backup if they lose it), upload speed is important.

It might be that the spectrum allocated to the upstream signal is
deliberately kept separate from that for downstream in order to reduce
crosstalk between the two on adjacent pairs to different customers. That
would design out the full flexibility of spectrum allocation that you're
wishing for.
--
Tony
Old February 18th 07, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
William Meayer

"kraftee" wrote in message

Think you'll find it's more to do with LLU...

Me thinks the OP is on LLU & is asking the wrong request. Rather than
asking for MAX he should be asking for ADSL2, as MAX (as such) AIUI is
not available on LLU whilst ADSL2 is (faster achievable download
speed, mine went up by 2Mb+, & faster upload as well).

I have been paying for ADSL Max now for a few months and noticed that
although I get syncs above 4mbps (as you can see with the link), I have only
ever acheived anything above 2000kbps download speed all the time since I
signed up with Max. I contacted the ISP recently to ask them why I only saw
2000kbps maximum and said I expected to be seeing at least 3500kbps or more,
at which point I was told that I couldn't get Max and that my line needed to
be downgraded to 2mbit.

Its obvious to me that with the figures I have from the router that I
already have Max and it is stable at over 4meg. My exchange appears not to
support LLU, but does support ADSL and ADSL Max. According to the BT line
checker I should be OK for 4.5mbps on ADSL max. Im just about 2km form the
exchange according to 'SamKnows'

It seems that I might now be forced to downgrade to 2mbit ADSL, even though
my line is pretty good for 4meg.

Any thoughts on this one Kraftee?

Bill