Old September 5th 17, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Default BT's DNS servers

Bob Henson wrote:
I use BT Infinity 1 and I've been having problems with time-outs for
some weeks now. The connection speed is high and there are no drop-outs
as such when you finally get past the time-outs. I'm connected to the
router by ethernet cable. Test changes of (Windows 7) email clients and
browsers made no improvement, so I came to the conclusion it was BT's
DNS servers. I finally decided to change the settings only to find the
BT HomeHub has them "hardwired" in and you can't do it. I finally got
tired of waiting for them to do anything and changed to Google's DNS
servers in the Windows 7 network set up. It's a nuisance doing it that
way as I have to change each piece of kit separately - but the problem
vanished instantly.

Finally getting round to the question - is anyone else seeing this? It
seems odd that the community groups and Usenet aren't chock full of
complaining BT customers - but even more odd if I'm the only one with a
problem. I may, of course, be missing something obvious.

BT change their DNS servers frequently, as a load balancing mechanism.
In theory if you reboot your router it will pick up the currently
correct values, but with FTTC it is otherwise generally sufficiently
reliable that rebooing every hour or so is not necessary. BT's practise
stems from the days of dial-up.

The only sensible solution is to migrate to another ISP.

--
Graham J