Old September 7th 17, 07:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Forman

Default BT's DNS servers

Bob Henson writes:

On 06/09/2017 10:12 am, Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Wed, 6 Sep 2017 08:14:50 +0100, Bob Henson
wrote:

Try google's 8.8.8.8 for comparison

That's what I switched to - via Windows networking rather than the
locked router. It works a treat so far. Pages find/load faster than
they have done for some time.

But Google probably knows everything you're looking at...

True - but I have Google UK set as my home page, and until I switched
the DNS servers it took an eternity for the BT servers to find Google
at all - it was the worst of all for page errors. Now it snaps into
place as soon as Chrome loads.

An alternative to Google's DNS is OpenDNS. That gives you control of
your own DNS blacklists. I used it for many years until I got a Plusnet
router which locks down DNS as per the OP.

https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/

--
Pete Forman
https://payg-petef.rhcloud.com