Sky Broadband

Old February 18th 07, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lynn W

Default Sky Broadband

Seriously thinking of moving to Sky Broadband Mid for £5 a month
from BTYahoo purely on the basis of expense. I shall miss the
Newsgroups that I access now through BTYahoo. I also check my
emails via web browser when at work and also on my mobile using wap.
Am I right in presuming I wont be able to do either of these when
with Sky Broadband. I presume I will be given email addresses
ending with @sky.com I was thinking of setting up @yahoo.co.uk
addresses thinking that would mean I could access my emails from the
Yahoo website, is that correct? Also I suppose another advantage is
that if I changed ISP again I would still have a constant email
address to use.
I haven't seen anywhere on the website of Sky where it mentions a
contract length, does anyone know what it is please?
Lynn

Old February 18th 07, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Lynn W" wrote in message
Seriously thinking of moving to Sky Broadband Mid for £5 a month
from BTYahoo purely on the basis of expense. I shall miss the
Newsgroups that I access now through BTYahoo. I also check my
emails via web browser when at work and also on my mobile using wap.
Am I right in presuming I wont be able to do either of these when
with Sky Broadband.

See below
I presume I will be given email addresses
ending with @sky.com

Correct

I was thinking of setting up @yahoo.co.uk
addresses thinking that would mean I could access my emails from the
Yahoo website, is that correct?

Much like you can with SKY Broadband in fact...

Also I suppose another advantage is that if I changed ISP again I
would still have a constant email address to use.

Even easier to do what I have done & that is set up my own mail
service costing me only £13.50 a year (there's a lot of other things
along with it & I know you can get cheaper). As you appear to be
happy with webmail (something I am not) there is nothing to stop you
logging into SKY Broadband & getting to your mail via your browser
from any access as you have to give user name & login to access the
site anyway, the problem I have is that the pop/smtp servers don't
appear to be very stable so I can't log in via OE, but I had heard of
this problem before I went over (to the dark side) & as I have already
stated made other arrangements.

I haven't seen anywhere on the website of Sky where it mentions a
contract length, does anyone know what it is please?

12 months I'm afraid
Lynn

Old February 18th 07, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lynn W

"kraftee" wrote in message

"Lynn W" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Thanks for that I didn't realise that you could log in to the Sky
website and collect your emails. Do I detect that you are not happy
with Sky Broadband if so why not? Did you have trouble with OE as
that is the interface I use for email, mainly so that I could access
Newsgroups, I could Outlook instead though especially as I may not
be able to access Newsgroups anymore but then again you appear to be
accessing them okay.
Lynn

Old February 18th 07, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Fawthrop

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 20:05:55 -0000, "Lynn W"
wrote:

|!Seriously thinking of moving to Sky Broadband Mid for ?5 a month
|!from BTYahoo purely on the basis of expense. I shall miss the
|!Newsgroups that I access now through BTYahoo.

newsgroups are available, text only, from news.individual.net for 10 Euros
per year, or many other places rather cheaply.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
20,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.org
Old February 18th 07, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Lynn W" wrote in message
Lynn

Thanks for that I didn't realise that you could log in to the Sky
website and collect your emails. Do I detect that you are not happy
with Sky Broadband if so why not? Did you have trouble with OE as
that is the interface I use for email, mainly so that I could access
Newsgroups, I could Outlook instead though especially as I may not
be able to access Newsgroups anymore but then again you appear to be
accessing them okay.

Yep certainly do have a chip on my shoulder caused by 2 months of no
broadband (caused by their incompitence) & their ongoing flakey mail
servers (the last time I tried to sort it out, spent quite a long time
on the phone & eventually ended up with the 'We don't support OE'
statement, when asked what they do support there was no answer).
Sometimes the servers are there & I can pole them but most of the time
I just don't bother (as I said, I had heard about this problem before
I joined so put another solution in place which also means I can
change ISP yet keep the same email/domain). They are very quick to
blame BT for any problem even when it can & has been proved to them
that it's not...

For the price I can't complain really as I am paying peanuts for a
5.5Mb solid connection, which up to now has withstood all the abuse I
can throw at it but it would be great if they could supply ALL the
services they advertise.

As for Usenet as I said, do a Google, there are a few text news
services around which are free & are quite stable. It's another story
if you want binaries though.