Virgin BB any good now ?

Old February 19th 07, 12:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BORG

Default Virgin BB any good now ?

Saw a lot of bad press about the Virgin deals in the past but have
they improved now ?

The £18.99 8Mb deal looks good to me
--

XJ900 Trike ** GS850 Trike
XV1000 TR1 Chop ** 1200 Sporty Chop

[Rot 13 it]
Old February 19th 07, 07:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Hi,
I have only experience with Virgin other than BB, but they are very
carefully protecting Virgin brand image hence would expect the bad
publicity to have caused some action for improvements. However as
always I would take a quick look what else is on offer right now for
comparison purposes. You could take a peek to http://www.getbroadband-online.co.uk/
for example. Cheers...pappa

Old February 19th 07, 08:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Me

BORG wrote:
Saw a lot of bad press about the Virgin deals in the past but have
they improved now ?

The £18.99 8Mb deal looks good to me

I wouldn't touch Virgin with a barge pole if I was looking for a
provider. I've been with them for 2 years now and I've had all I can
take from them. Their customer service is totally useless and their
broadband service is just as bad. I've been down to dial-up speed in the
evenings for the last 6 months and Virgin blames BT, BT blames Virgin. I
won't go into details, but believe me they are so incompetent. I'm just
waiting to migrate to Zen.

Good luck,
John.
Old February 19th 07, 09:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gonz

"BORG" wrote in message
Saw a lot of bad press about the Virgin deals in the past but have
they improved now ?

The £18.99 8Mb deal looks good to me

Read the ISP forums.
There are nothing but complaints.
That's why they are bottom of the ISP ratings of late.

Old February 19th 07, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gonz

wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:24:20 -0000, "Gonz" T o p @ S e c r e t . c o
m wrote:

"BORG" wrote in message
. ..
Saw a lot of bad press about the Virgin deals in the past but have
they improved now ?

The £18.99 8Mb deal looks good to me

Read the ISP forums.
There are nothing but complaints.
That's why they are bottom of the ISP ratings of late.

Oh come on.
On any ISP forum there are nothing but complaints about any ISP

That may be the case, but where else do you suggest he looks/finds out?
He's askin in a Usenet group, where he may get 2 or 3 replies.
How is 2 or 3 replies gonna tell him, when there's a great big list of
praises/complaints for said company, on the said ISP forum?

Old February 19th 07, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

m wrote:

"BORG" wrote in message
Saw a lot of bad press about the Virgin deals in the past but have
they improved now ?

The £18.99 8Mb deal looks good to me

Read the ISP forums.
There are nothing but complaints.
That's why they are bottom of the ISP ratings of late.

Oh come on.
On any ISP forum there are nothing but complaints about any ISP

That may be the case, but where else do you suggest he looks/finds out?
He's askin in a Usenet group, where he may get 2 or 3 replies.
How is 2 or 3 replies gonna tell him, when there's a great big list of
praises/complaints for said company, on the said ISP forum?

Virgin will be fine for you if you want broadband from the early hours of
the morning until about lunchtime, after that it just gets bad.
Last night wasn't too bad just down to 211 kb/s, but only back up to 1,611
kb/s this morning where I expected it to be between 5,500 & 6,100 kb/s.
I am 400 metres from exchange and others on the same exchange with other
isp's are not having the slowdown that virgin give.
Mike

Old February 19th 07, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:24:20 -0000, "Gonz" T o p @ S e c r e t . c o
m wrote:
"BORG" wrote in message
m...

snip
Virgin will be fine for you if you want broadband from the early hours of
the morning until about lunchtime, after that it just gets bad.
Last night wasn't too bad just down to 211 kb/s, but only back up to 1,611
kb/s this morning where I expected it to be between 5,500 & 6,100 kb/s.
I am 400 metres from exchange and others on the same exchange with other
isp's are not having the slowdown that virgin give.
Mike

Much the same here, Virgin are throwing away customers by their
day/evening time, bandwidth throttling.

So far i've put up with it, but not for much longer

Steve Terry

Old February 19th 07, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:24:20 -0000, "Gonz" T o p @ S e c r e t . c o
m wrote:
"BORG" wrote in message
m...

snip
Virgin will be fine for you if you want broadband from the early hours of
the morning until about lunchtime, after that it just gets bad.
Last night wasn't too bad just down to 211 kb/s, but only back up to 1,611
kb/s this morning where I expected it to be between 5,500 & 6,100 kb/s.
I am 400 metres from exchange and others on the same exchange with other
isp's are not having the slowdown that virgin give.
Mike

Much the same here, Virgin are throwing away customers by their
day/evening time, bandwidth throttling.

So far i've put up with it, but not for much longer

I stopped putting up with Virgin BB recently, and haven't regretted it.
I'm paying £4 a month more, but I don't care. I'd actually assumed the
evening slow-down was just inevitable, as I live in the centre of
Manchester, and it's heaviliy populated. I had a very solid 2MB service
with BT when I was in the suburbs Since moving to Plusnet (who I'm aware
have their critics, and people with problems) I've had much better
performance. Rare to have less than 2MB at peak, and usually more than
that.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
Old February 19th 07, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gonz

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in
message ...

wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:24:20 -0000, "Gonz" T o p @ S e c r e t .
c o
m wrote:
"BORG" wrote in message
m...

snip
[...]

They say their Network isn't overloaded, and no capacity issues, hence
the big slowdown.
At the same time they're reducin bandwidth from some users to make room
for others, and swappin customers to a less conjested connection.

If the pipes weren't so strong, they'd have exploded before now )

Old February 19th 07, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:24:20 -0000, "Gonz" T o p @ S e c r e
t . c o
m wrote:
"BORG" wrote in message
snip
[...]

It's worse than that in my area, they actually run out of IP adresses
to allocate on occaision. So if you turn of you modem for some reason
or another it can be hours before you get another one allocated & with
the influx of students the network hasn't been upgraded to deal with
the traffic they cause. Put the 2 together & you can see why there
are more & more end users porting over to BT to use whatever flavour
of broadband they want on there.