AOL broadband

Old February 19th 07, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Romkidda

Default AOL broadband

Hi,

Apologies if this has been mentioned in the past but having a few
problems (1 in partcular) so can anybody give me some advice?

Firstly, my broadband connection is through AOL and everything has
been fine.

Recently purchased a laptop though so decided to have the PC connected
to a wireless routher (Belkin54g) via an RJ45 ethernet connection and
then my laptop connected through its wireless connection.

I managed to get the PC to recognise the router and I get the internet
working on the main PC but although my laptop can see the router no
problem and connects easily (including it saying that the internet is
connected when connected through the main PC - laptop has Vista by the
way so it gives me these useless messages) to the router, I am unable
to run the internet. I have tried to diagnose the problem and I have
also tried it throuh a WEP encryption along with no encryption but
still no internet.

The router says that it should work with AOL (although the AOL website
doesnt say anything about it) and as I am connected to it wirelessly I
would expect it to work.

My main concern is this stupid idea of having to log on using AOL that
they seem to insist on. With my previous broadband connection it was
simply just always on, didnt need this stupid logon screen, do you
think this could be the issue?

ANyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Alex.

P.S No suggestions to leave AOL please, I know its a mistake - I dont
need it to be told to me again! :-)

Old February 19th 07, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Me

Romkidda wrote:
[...]

You might be better off asking this question in a hardware problem
related NG.

John.
Old February 19th 07, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Romkidda

On Feb 19, 10:30 am, Me wrote:
Romkidda wrote:
[...]

Any advice on where about? I have searched the internet but no luck.

Thanks again!

Alex.

Old February 19th 07, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Me

Romkidda wrote:
On Feb 19, 10:30 am, Me wrote:
Romkidda wrote:
[...]

You could try either of these newsgroups:

alt.internet.wireless

or

microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless

Regards,
John.
Old February 19th 07, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Romkidda" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You don't say which AOL package you're subscribed-to, Silver, Gold or
Platinum? Last I heard, AOL Silver did not support networking.

(kim)

Old February 19th 07, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Romkidda

On Feb 19, 2:38 pm, milou wrote:
On 19 Feb 2007 02:36:36 -0800, "Romkidda" wrote:

quotes snipped

Any advice on where about? I have searched the internet but no luck.

You should have started with the obvious place, i.e. AOL Community on
your screen, then go to Chat etc, then Message Boards.
And for &*&*(*'s sake, don't quote all that crap every time.

Whats your problem?

AOL were useless, thats why I thought I would ask some people who knew
what they were talking about. AOL and Belkin were a waste of time so
thats why I posted here, sorry I wasted so much of your &*&*(*
precious time!!!

Old February 19th 07, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Romkidda

On Feb 19, 12:51 pm, "kim" wrote:
"Romkidda" wrote in message

[...]

Cheers Kim, that could be the obvious problem, pity AOL didnt inform
me of that.

Thanks again,

Alex.

Old February 19th 07, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Pollard

On 19 Feb 2007 02:12:42 -0800, "Romkidda" wrote:

I use AOL and had a few problems when originally setting up. Firstly,
you must use the AOL router software to set up your router. I could
not get mine to work without it despite advice from "expets".
Secondly, I am on silver and it does support networking. I use my in
an "always logged on" mode so do not have to connect to use the
Internet. Finally, I use my main desktop PC to access the Internet and
have it wired via my LAN to my Netgear Router. I can access the
Internet using a laptop wirelessly. Dont know if this helps but I am
happy to quote settings orgive any help wherever possible. One last
point, AOL is very good despite bad press so don't give up on its
quirky setup.

Ian
Old February 19th 07, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Romkidda

On Feb 19, 3:40 pm, Ian Pollard wrote:
On 19 Feb 2007 02:12:42 -0800, "Romkidda" wrote:

I use AOL and had a few problems when originally setting up. Firstly,
you must use the AOL router software to set up your router. I could
not get mine to work without it despite advice from "expets".
Secondly, I am on silver and it does support networking. I use my in
an "always logged on" mode so do not have to connect to use the
Internet. Finally, I use my main desktop PC to access the Internet and
have it wired via my LAN to my Netgear Router. I can access the
Internet using a laptop wirelessly. Dont know if this helps but I am
happy to quote settings orgive any help wherever possible. One last
point, AOL is very good despite bad press so don't give up on its
quirky setup.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that, that is what I wanted to hear! I am going to have a
play with it this week when I get chance (have to work away a bit) and
then I may need your help. The main problem I am worried about now is
how much damage I have done myself trying to mess about with it.

Can you please just confirm with me on how to have the internet always
on? Is that a simple setting in the router setup, i.e. the 192.168.2.1
setup using my browser?

Also, is it safe to use the AOL disk to install my router? I have it
operating okay on my PC over the ethernet connection using XP.

Thanks again, Ill be in touch.

Alex.

Old February 19th 07, 04:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PhilT

On 19 Feb, 15:52, "Romkidda" wrote:

Also, is it safe to use the AOL disk to install my router? I have it
operating okay on my PC over the ethernet connection using XP.

you don't need to install routers, and the AOL CD's are customised to
the hardware they ship with - so "no" is the answer.

Any PC that attaches to the router and gets an IP address, default
gateway and DNS server should "just work". Right mouse the relevant
network conneciton, go to Status, Support, Details and post what you
see here.

Phil