Well, I have done it...

Old February 19th 07, 02:40 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
diy-newby

Default Well, I have done it...

Rang Pipex this dinner time to cancel. Was told I would be emailed a MAC
code within 72 hours.
Is that it? Is that all I have to do to cancel broadband with Pipex? I am
migrating to Sky, signed up last week, should be getting my router in the
next couple of days.

Once I give Sky my MAC code and install my router etc can I then get online
with them? I have never changed ISP before, Pipex was my first ISP for
broadband, been with them for 4 years so am a newbie with this.

TIA

Old February 19th 07, 04:49 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Morgan

In message , diy-newby
writes
Rang Pipex this dinner time to cancel. Was told I would be emailed a MAC
code within 72 hours.
Is that it? Is that all I have to do to cancel broadband with Pipex? I am
migrating to Sky, signed up last week, should be getting my router in the
next couple of days.

Oh dear, Oh dear. Have you not looked at:
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_details.php?isp=97

Speed on Sky is only marginally better than Pipex. and Support is worse
than Pipex. The only place it scores well is on Price. Personally I'm
prepared to pay a little extra for good speed, support and reliability.

And according to the Sky details at:
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_details.php?isp=97
you get no Newsgroup access, no webspace, only one email address (though
the Sky site says you get 10 addies), and no backup dial-up. And they
charge for support at the National Rate. Dynamic IP as well.

I'm surprised that you haven't done a little homework at:
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php
and chosen one of the top four.

But the really worst thing about Sky is that you are locked in on a 12
month contract. That's one thing that I'd NEVER do again after Pipex.
And worse, according to http://broadbandcomparison.sky.com/ they cap
your downloads at 2GB per month !!!!

Once I give Sky my MAC code and install my router etc can I then get online
with them? I have never changed ISP before, Pipex was my first ISP for
broadband, been with them for 4 years so am a newbie with this.

My friend signed up with Sky a couple of weeks ago (against my advice),
and he had a telephone call to say he was connected. I installed DU
Meter on his PC and (with the speeds he's getting) he's not a happy
bunny :-)

I know it's easy to be wise after the event, but if you can find an ISP
who give you a 1 month contract, plus free support calls, they must have
confidence that you will be well satisfied with the services they offer
and (most importantly) will not need to call support.
Conversely, those ISPs who know that their customers will be ****ed off
with their services, are going to lock you in with a 12 month contract
and (because you're likely to be on the phone to support a lot) will
charge you National Rate for support calls.
..
--
Tony Morgan
Old February 19th 07, 08:37 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Mindwipe

"Tony Morgan" wrote in message
In message , diy-newby
writes

.
--
Tony Morgan

the 12 month contract is what pipex will stick to anyone who accepts one of
their deals though
isnt it?

Old February 19th 07, 08:50 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Morgan

In message , Mindwipe
writes
Snipped....

the 12 month contract is what pipex will stick to anyone who accepts one of
their deals though
isnt it?

Yes, but I can't see the relevance to your question. Sky also stick to
the 12 month contract. If they didn't, why impose a 12 month contract in
the first place?

And to answer that question.... Because 12 month contract ISPs obviously
expect to provide such a crappy service that all customers will all want
to leave at the end of the first month :-)

If they had any confidence in providing a good service they would have
no reason whatsoever to impose a 12 month contract on their customers.

It's interesting that most of the really good ISPs only offer 1 month
contracts - they know (and intend to ensure) that you'll have no reason
to leave.
--
Tony Morgan
Old February 19th 07, 10:40 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Mindwipe

And to answer that question.... Because 12 month contract ISPs obviously
expect to provide such a crappy service that all customers will all want
to leave at the end of the first month :-)

which is what pipex did to me last year when i asked for a mac and fell for
their offer

think i will try sky though
it may bite me but lifes a risk
the dial up speed (2mb) service i currently have with pipex is worth the
frying pan analogy to me
if others have good service then they should stay where they are
my two penneth
thanks for your reply though

Old February 19th 07, 11:00 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Morgan

In message , Mindwipe
writes

And to answer that question.... Because 12 month contract ISPs obviously
expect to provide such a crappy service that all customers will all want
to leave at the end of the first month :-)

which is what pipex did to me last year when i asked for a mac and fell for
their offer

think i will try sky though
it may bite me but lifes a risk
the dial up speed (2mb) service i currently have with pipex is worth the
frying pan analogy to me
if others have good service then they should stay where they are
my two penneth
thanks for your reply though

I'm sorry, but I think you are crazy. If you're going to move from one
crappy ISP to another (and endure it for another 12 months), then why
bother? And why have you been dissatisfied with Pipex if you're content
to go on another 12 month contract with an ISP who are just as bad.

NOW is your only opportunity. Doing as you are hell-bent on doing only
means another 12 months of purgatory :-)
I only with I was in your position and my Pipex 12 months were up.

I wouldn't criticise, but the evidence is all there, and there are so
many other far better ISPs.
--
Tony Morgan
Old February 19th 07, 11:16 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Trev

[...]

This years good ISP's are next years rubbish

Old February 20th 07, 12:06 AM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Morgan

In message , Trev
writes
Snipped....
This years good ISP's are next years rubbish

So you're suggesting the bad ISPs are going to improve?

But I'm sure you'll agree that "testing the water" with a (currently)
bad ISP with a 12 month lock-in can hardly be described as a good idea.

And in 12 months time? You'd recommend that Mindwipe then moves on to
another bad ISP for another 12 months lock-in with the (remote)
expectation that they will become a high-rated ISP within that 12
months?

Dream on :-)

It's a bit like buying a new car with a one-month warranty, a car that
the reviews say is an unreliable motor.

I'm a great believer in voting with your feet - but when you can't vote
for another 12 months..... ?

I'm also a great believer in learning by your mistakes - and Pipex has
reinforced that philosophy... never again will I get locked in like
this.
--
Tony Morgan
Democracy is when two wolves and a sheep hold a meeting to decide who will be
Old February 20th 07, 11:28 AM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
steeler

"Tony Morgan" wrote in message
In message , Trev
writes
Snipped....
This years good ISP's are next years rubbish

So you're suggesting the bad ISPs are going to improve?

I think with Sky that could well be the case. It is a new network so
teething troubles are expected. I travel for work too much to sign another
12 month deal but at 10 a month Sky looks like a decent punt, especially if
you are not a heavy user.

Old February 20th 07, 12:59 PM posted to pipex.xtreme.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Trev

"steeler" wrote in message

"Tony Morgan" wrote in message
In message , Trev
writes
Snipped....
This years good ISP's are next years rubbish

So you're suggesting the bad ISPs are going to improve?

I think with Sky that could well be the case. It is a new network so
teething troubles are expected. I travel for work too much to sign
another 12 month deal but at 10 a month Sky looks like a decent punt,
especially if you are not a heavy user.

Sky is only a new name on an exciting network. They bought Easynet who run
backbone services for other isp's as well as there own Ukonline. The only
thing that's really new is SKY CS They give a free to subsidised broadband
so there not going to spend money on answering phone calls.