Cable broadband and wireless router question

Old February 19th 07, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jordan1

Default Cable broadband and wireless router question

Hi all.
Can you use a normal wireless router (Speedtouch 580, with modem built
in) with cable broadband ? Or does it need a wireless router only -
i.e. without built in modem ?
Many thanks !

Old February 19th 07, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Jordan1 wrote:
Hi all.
Can you use a normal wireless router (Speedtouch 580, with modem
built in) with cable broadband ? Or does it need a wireless router
only - i.e. without built in modem ?
Many thanks !

You could but it will be more difficult, far easier to buy the correct
box & darkhole the DSL router for when you get fed up with Virgin...

Old February 19th 07, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jordan1

On 19 Feb, 19:53, "kraftee" wrote:
Jordan1 wrote:
Hi all.
Can you use a normal wireless router (Speedtouch 580, with modem
built in) with cable broadband ? Or does it need a wireless router
only - i.e. without built in modem ?
Many thanks !

You could but it will be more difficult, far easier to buy the correct
box & darkhole the DSL router for when you get fed up with Virgin...

that doesn't sound too good ... you're putting me off ! And I just
signed ....

Old February 19th 07, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Jordan1 wrote:
On 19 Feb, 19:53, "kraftee" wrote:
Jordan1 wrote:
Hi all.
Can you use a normal wireless router (Speedtouch 580, with modem
built in) with cable broadband ? Or does it need a wireless router
only - i.e. without built in modem ?
Many thanks !

You could but it will be more difficult, far easier to buy the
correct box & darkhole the DSL router for when you get fed up with
Virgin...

that doesn't sound too good ... you're putting me off ! And I just
signed ....

You haven't done much research then have you. Mind you, you could be
one of the lucky ones...

Old February 19th 07, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 21:32:23 -0000, in uk.telecom.broadband ,
"kraftee" wrote:

You haven't done much research then have you. Mind you, you could be
one of the lucky ones...

For what its worth I've been with ntl for some years now and the
service has been very good.

Virgin's adsl offering may have been dodgy (I've no idea) but remember
that ntl bought virgin's business, not the other way round.

--
Mark McIntyre
Old February 19th 07, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Denis McMahon

Jordan1 wrote:

Can you use a normal wireless router (Speedtouch 580, with modem built
in) with cable broadband ? Or does it need a wireless router only -
i.e. without built in modem ?

Cable uses a totally different modem to adsl, and unless your router has
a non adsl "wan" port to connect to the cable modem, you're going to
need a plain router, rather than a router / modem combined.

Denis McMahon
Old February 26th 07, 01:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Resident Drunk

kraftee wrote:
Jordan1 wrote:
On 19 Feb, 19:53, "kraftee" wrote:
Jordan1 wrote:
Hi all.
Can you use a normal wireless router (Speedtouch 580, with modem
built in) with cable broadband ? Or does it need a wireless router
only - i.e. without built in modem ?
Many thanks !
You could but it will be more difficult, far easier to buy the
correct box & darkhole the DSL router for when you get fed up with
Virgin...

that doesn't sound too good ... you're putting me off ! And I just
signed ....

You haven't done much research then have you. Mind you, you could be
one of the lucky ones...

The product is very good (I have been on BB with them for 7 years) but
you do have to phone up and shout at the billing department a couple of
times a year.