ADSL Stats

Old February 19th 07, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Piers James

Default ADSL Stats

I've just changed my router/modem and I can now get my ADSL stats, as
follows:

downstream: 7488 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s;
output Power Down: 19.5 dBm, Up: 11.5 dBm;
line Attenuation Down: 38.0 dB, Up: 23.0 dB;
snr Margin Down: 6.5 dB, Up: 23.0 dB

Problem is I don't know what is good or bad, can anyone please explain to a
bear of little brain?

TIA

Old February 19th 07, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Piers James wrote:

I've just changed my router/modem and I can now get my ADSL stats, as
follows:

downstream: 7488 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s;
output Power Down: 19.5 dBm, Up: 11.5 dBm;
line Attenuation Down: 38.0 dB, Up: 23.0 dB;
snr Margin Down: 6.5 dB, Up: 23.0 dB

Problem is I don't know what is good or bad, can anyone please explain to a
bear of little brain?

Sure.

The kbps speeds are the ADSL synchronisation speeds. The maximum on MaxDSL is
8128 downstream and 448 upstream so you've got a close to ideal connection.

Output power's not terribly helpful to the end user.

The attenuation figures are a measure of how much of the signal strength gets
'lost' in transmission in either direction. Lower attenuations are associated
with shorter distances from the exchange. High attenuations may be due to
distance or poor line quality / faults. I'll guess from those numbers that
you're a little over 1 km from the exchange with no faults. The upstream loss is
always lower for ADSL since that path has lower bandwidth (kbps).

SNR is signal to noise ratio. You need a positive signal to noise ratio or it
won't work (the wanted signal gets lost in noise) ! MaxDSL is supposed to
'train' your connection for a target SNR of about 6 dB on the downstream
connection so your figures are spot on. Like attenuation expect the upstream
figures to be better (larger SNR in this case).

Graham

Old February 19th 07, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

"Piers James" wrote in message

downstream: 7488 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s;
output Power Down: 19.5 dBm, Up: 11.5 dBm;
line Attenuation Down: 38.0 dB, Up: 23.0 dB;
snr Margin Down: 6.5 dB, Up: 23.0 dB

Problem is I don't know what is good or bad, can anyone please explain to
a bear of little brain?

Sorry to jump on your bandwagon but I've just reinstalled my BT Voyager to
gather the below stats. For the life of me I can't find them on the Belkin
I'm using atm. So I'm interested in what you make of them. 2Mb Pipex
connection.

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 2272 Kbps 288 Kbps
Noise Margin 18.3 dB 25.0 dB
Line Attenuation 45.0 dB 23.0 dB
Output Power 18.5 dBm 11.9 dBm

John

Old February 20th 07, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

JC wrote:

"Piers James" wrote in message

downstream: 7488 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s;
output Power Down: 19.5 dBm, Up: 11.5 dBm;
line Attenuation Down: 38.0 dB, Up: 23.0 dB;
snr Margin Down: 6.5 dB, Up: 23.0 dB

Problem is I don't know what is good or bad, can anyone please explain to
a bear of little brain?

Sorry to jump on your bandwagon but I've just reinstalled my BT Voyager to
gather the below stats. For the life of me I can't find them on the Belkin
I'm using atm. So I'm interested in what you make of them. 2Mb Pipex
connection.

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 2272 Kbps 288 Kbps
Noise Margin 18.3 dB 25.0 dB
Line Attenuation 45.0 dB 23.0 dB
Output Power 18.5 dBm 11.9 dBm

It's a fixed 2 meg service. It all looks quite healthy.

Graham

Old February 20th 07, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Eeyore wrote:

JC wrote:

"Piers James" wrote in message

downstream: 7488 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s;
output Power Down: 19.5 dBm, Up: 11.5 dBm;
line Attenuation Down: 38.0 dB, Up: 23.0 dB;
snr Margin Down: 6.5 dB, Up: 23.0 dB

Problem is I don't know what is good or bad, can anyone please
explain to a bear of little brain?

Sorry to jump on your bandwagon but I've just reinstalled my BT
Voyager to gather the below stats. For the life of me I can't find
them on the Belkin I'm using atm. So I'm interested in what you make
of them. 2Mb Pipex connection.

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 2272 Kbps 288 Kbps
Noise Margin 18.3 dB 25.0 dB
Line Attenuation 45.0 dB 23.0 dB
Output Power 18.5 dBm 11.9 dBm

It's a fixed 2 meg service. It all looks quite healthy.

Graham

I would add that, with a noise margin of 18.3dB, you have quite a lot in
hand. So if you wanted to change to a faster service (like up to 8 Mb/s) the
line would almost certainly support it. You may not get 8, but you'd get a
lot more than 2.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old February 20th 07, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Roger Mills wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

JC wrote:

[...]

Purely guessing I'd say likely good for 4Mbps.

The thing to remember though is that pratical download speeds depend so much on
other factors that it's unlikely to benefit him much and probably not worth
paying any more for Max.

Graham

Old February 20th 07, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JC

"Eeyore" wrote in message

I would add that, with a noise margin of 18.3dB, you have quite a lot in
hand. So if you wanted to change to a faster service (like up to 8 Mb/s)
the
line would almost certainly support it. You may not get 8, but you'd get
lot more than 2.

Purely guessing I'd say likely good for 4Mbps.

The thing to remember though is that pratical download speeds depend so
much on
other factors that it's unlikely to benefit him much and probably not
worth
paying any more for Max.

2Mb connection with 15Gb download limit @ 14.99 suits me well. I don't
download much and when I changed from a 1Mb to a 2Mb connection I didn't
notice much difference in the speed web pages downloaded. I mentioned
further up that my Belkin router does not give adsl line stats, is there
another way of getting them?

John

Old February 20th 07, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Piers James

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Piers James wrote:

[...]

Thanks Graham, that's a very clear explanation. According to Sam Knows I am
1.4km from the exchange (in a straight line), so your guess was pretty
accurate. It's good to know I'm getting my money's worth out of my MaxDSL
connection :-)

Cheers