A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Virgin Media advert



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 20th 07, 09:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Gonz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 819
Default Virgin Media advert

They state "the speed advertised is the speed you get"

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/2434/virginvh1.jpg
  #2  
Old February 20th 07, 09:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
CheggersPop
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 49
Default Virgin Media advert

They state "the speed advertised is the speed you get"

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/2434/virginvh1.jpg


As it's a cable service this would be correct wouldn't it? It's only
phone line type services that drop the further you get from the
exchange isn't it?

The part however that states "as it doesn't matter how far you live
from the telephone exchange" might be misleading (I beleive) as cable
lines have nothing to do with telephone lines and therefore nowt to do
with telephone exchanges!


  #3  
Old February 20th 07, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Gonz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 819
Default Virgin Media advert


"CheggersPop" wrote in message
...
They state "the speed advertised is the speed you get"

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/2434/virginvh1.jpg


As it's a cable service this would be correct wouldn't it? It's only
phone line type services that drop the further you get from the
exchange isn't it?


My point I was tryin to make was, it's misleadin in the way that they're
sayin "if you buy the advertised speed of say 10MB, then that's the
speed you'll get all the time.
There's no disclaimer thing about 'the speed a website can support, the
amount of traffic accessing it, and content caching, etc...
It reads that, you'll always get the constant speed.

If the people who do this misleadin adverts were to be honest, they'd
think exactly the same.
They know what they're claiming, and they know how it reads to potential
customers.

The part however that states "as it doesn't matter how far you live
from the telephone exchange" might be misleading (I beleive) as cable
lines have nothing to do with telephone lines and therefore nowt to do
with telephone exchanges!


Yeh, but they're talkin about 'broadband' in general.
Broadband can be ADSL too, via a telephone line.

  #4  
Old February 20th 07, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 735
Default Virgin Media advert


"Gonz" T o p @ S e c r e t . c o m wrote in message
...
They state "the speed advertised is the speed you get"

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/2434/virginvh1.jpg


You are wasting your time..

NTL/Virgin never put any real facts into their adverts so you can't say they
are untrue.



  #5  
Old February 20th 07, 02:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Evan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 29
Default Virgin Media advert

On 20 Feb, 12:21, "[email protected]" wrote:
NTL/Virgin never put any real facts into their adverts so you can't say they
are untrue.


I'm, sorry to piggy back on your thread, but I was just about to post
another thread with a similar heading.

Refer to http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...es/3for30.html

As an existing customer of broadband and phone I can think of no
interpretation for this other than if I were to buy an additional
service (either TV or Virgin mobile) I will get all three for 30.
There is a deal for all four for 40, but the permutation I want is
broadband, phone and mobile for 30. It's there, I've read it. There's
even a little questionnaire for existing customers that leads you to
this advert.

Virgin mobile for a tenner is a done deal. I got the sim today. I
happened to notice a typo in my billing name, so I called. I curiously
asked if their new cousins at Virgin media would know to discount my
bill to 20 as I'm a new mobile customer. They very readily admitted
that I should call to make sure. Good thing I did.

The first agent I spoke to at Virgin Media (dialled 150 from home
phone and following billing route) told me that no such 3 for 30 plan
existed. If I wanted a mobile service to be included, my option was 4
for 40. I was verrrrrry polite and told her she was wrong and I would
(for a third time) check the website and call back. I called back and
spoke to a different rep who reduced my bill to 20.00, though by her
own admission, it was a favour to me!!

What do I have to do to prove to them they are advertising this on
their website. I have an email with screen grabs ready to send to a
manager. One is supposed to call me back to discuss this (yeah right).

What's the deal here? YOU CAN'T REFUSE TO SELL A SERVICE YOU ARE
FLAGRANTLY ADVERTISING MR BRANSON!

Rant over.


  #6  
Old February 20th 07, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
guv
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14
Default Virgin Media advert

On 20 Feb 2007 06:37:08 -0800, "Evan" wrote:

On 20 Feb, 12:21, "[email protected]" wrote:
NTL/Virgin never put any real facts into their adverts so you can't say they
are untrue.


I'm, sorry to piggy back on your thread, but I was just about to post
another thread with a similar heading.

Refer to http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...es/3for30.html

As an existing customer of broadband and phone I can think of no
interpretation for this other than if I were to buy an additional
service (either TV or Virgin mobile) I will get all three for 30.
There is a deal for all four for 40, but the permutation I want is
broadband, phone and mobile for 30. It's there, I've read it. There's
even a little questionnaire for existing customers that leads you to
this advert.

Virgin mobile for a tenner is a done deal. I got the sim today. I
happened to notice a typo in my billing name, so I called. I curiously
asked if their new cousins at Virgin media would know to discount my
bill to 20 as I'm a new mobile customer. They very readily admitted
that I should call to make sure. Good thing I did.

The first agent I spoke to at Virgin Media (dialled 150 from home
phone and following billing route) told me that no such 3 for 30 plan
existed. If I wanted a mobile service to be included, my option was 4
for 40. I was verrrrrry polite and told her she was wrong and I would
(for a third time) check the website and call back. I called back and
spoke to a different rep who reduced my bill to 20.00, though by her
own admission, it was a favour to me!!

What do I have to do to prove to them they are advertising this on
their website. I have an email with screen grabs ready to send to a
manager. One is supposed to call me back to discuss this (yeah right).

What's the deal here? YOU CAN'T REFUSE TO SELL A SERVICE YOU ARE
FLAGRANTLY ADVERTISING MR BRANSON!


In the newspaper advertising, it says the chose 3 out of 4 doesnt
include mobile in the small print at the bottom of the page. So that
should be "chose 3 from 3" shouldn't it?
  #7  
Old February 20th 07, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,472
Default Virgin Media advert

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 16:05:07 UTC, J Clavox
wrote:

On 20 Feb 2007 06:37:08 -0800, "Evan" wrote:


What's the deal here? YOU CAN'T REFUSE TO SELL A SERVICE YOU ARE
FLAGRANTLY ADVERTISING MR BRANSON!


It isn't really Richards fault it is the fault of the useless staff
his senor managers employ .


Si.
--
Bob Eager
begin 123 a new life...take up Extreme Ironing!
  #8  
Old February 20th 07, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Evan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 29
Default Virgin Media advert

On 20 Feb, 16:54, guv wrote:

In the newspaper advertising, it says the chose 3 out of 4 doesnt
include mobile in the small print at the bottom of the page. So that
should be "chose 3 from 3" shouldn't it?


I'm not concerned what the newspapers say. The website says there are
deals for 3 out of 4 and 4 out of 4. Unfortunately, they are not
being acknowledged by actual staff.

  #9  
Old February 21st 07, 08:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Gonz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 819
Default Virgin Media advert


"[email protected]" wrote in message
...

"Gonz" T o p @ S e c r e t . c o m wrote in message
...
They state "the speed advertised is the speed you get"

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/2434/virginvh1.jpg


You are wasting your time..

NTL/Virgin never put any real facts into their adverts so you can't
say they are untrue.


You can always challenge them though, no effort in that.

  #10  
Old February 21st 07, 08:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Gonz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 819
Default Virgin Media advert


"J Clavox" wrote in message
...
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:02:50 -0000, "Gonz" T o p @ S e c r e t . c o
m wrote:

They state "the speed advertised is the speed you get"

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/2434/virginvh1.jpg


Why do you have to keep pointing out the fact that Virgin Media
ex BY ex NTL are a shower of lying B....... ))))))) .


If they didn't lie so much, then I wouldn't have to )

Did I tell you about the time when heir head of abuse told lies and
accused me of fraud?
Only when I got my solicitor involved, everyone's minds went blank and
they couldn't remember a thing about it )

 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UNLIMITED eg:Virgin Media Gonz uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 11 February 19th 07 05:42 PM
NTL/Virgin Media broadband SNAFU alexander.keys1 uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 123 February 19th 07 03:55 PM
Virgin media Peter Lynch uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 8 February 7th 07 01:06 AM
Goodbye NTL:Telewest.. hello Virgin Media Sunil Sood uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 21 November 17th 06 02:31 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.