The Pipex Strangler

Old February 20th 07, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anonym

Default The Pipex Strangler

Beware any avid newsgroups subscribers of Pipex's policy on using the
Usenet:

Downloaded 11MB newsgroup headers from Easynews nntp server took 24mins
35secs.

Downloaded 11.7MB zipped file from a music newsgroup using Easynews Web
interface took 46.7secs.

Pipex are not just throttling users of newsgroups, they've let their phantom
strangler loose.

Old February 20th 07, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Downie

anonym wrote:
Beware any avid newsgroups subscribers of Pipex's policy on using the
Usenet:

Downloaded 11MB newsgroup headers from Easynews nntp server took
24mins 35secs.

Downloaded 11.7MB zipped file from a music newsgroup using Easynews
Web interface took 46.7secs.

Pipex are not just throttling users of newsgroups, they've let their
phantom strangler loose.

But that's hardly a like-for-like comparison is it? 11MB of headers will be
bazillions of separate files, all plain text. An 11.7 MB zipped music file
downloaded over the net might be a single file (not converted into text).

I'm not saying that PIPEX aren't throttling downloads, just that you're
possibly comparing apples and oranges.

Tim

Old February 20th 07, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anonym

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
anonym wrote:
Beware any avid newsgroups subscribers of Pipex's policy on using the
Usenet:

Downloaded 11MB newsgroup headers from Easynews nntp server took
24mins 35secs.

Downloaded 11.7MB zipped file from a music newsgroup using Easynews
Web interface took 46.7secs.

Pipex are not just throttling users of newsgroups, they've let their
phantom strangler loose.

But that's hardly a like-for-like comparison is it? 11MB of headers will
be bazillions of separate files, all plain text. An 11.7 MB zipped music
file downloaded over the net might be a single file (not converted into
text).

I'm not saying that PIPEX aren't throttling downloads, just that you're
possibly comparing apples and oranges.

Possibly, though at the same time the apples (nntp download) progressed at
rates varying from 0.00 KB/s - when it hung three times during the
operation - to a maximum of 23.49 KB/s.

The oranges (web interface download) really knew how to move, their
progression varying between 188.64 KB/s and a maximum of 300.84 KB/s.

Only another 44 hours maximum to go before I can place an order with a new
greengrocer. :-)

Old February 24th 07, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Beware any avid newsgroups subscribers of Pipex's policy on using the
Usenet:
Pipex are not just throttling users of newsgroups, they've let their phantom
strangler loose.

FWIW the most speed i've got out of Pipex's Giganews feed recently has
been 38k/sec (using 3 threads in Grabit)

At the same time, and i'm not sure if its entirely related, my
throughput with individual.net has been abysmal - taking 10-20 minutes
to download just the new headers that day from ~20 groups.
Old February 25th 07, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DubDriver

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message t...
Beware any avid newsgroups subscribers of Pipex's policy on using the
Usenet:
Pipex are not just throttling users of newsgroups, they've let their
phantom
strangler loose.

FWIW the most speed i've got out of Pipex's Giganews feed recently has
been 38k/sec (using 3 threads in Grabit)

At the same time, and i'm not sure if its entirely related, my
throughput with individual.net has been abysmal - taking 10-20 minutes
to download just the new headers that day from ~20 groups.

May be this has happened to you?

Since 14th Feb my speed using usenetserver has dropped suddenly to 100Kb/s
or less.

I called Pipex who explained the reason is because I am a heavy user and
that by service has become "traffic managed" yet I am on a so called
"unlimited" account paying 33 per month for which I now get a dial-up like
service!

Here is the letter I received from them Saturday:

Dear Mr X XXX

Important notice regarding your broadband usage

Pipex introduced network traffic management in 2005 to help manage the
network and provide a fair service for all our customers particularly during
busy periods of the day. The usage behaviour of a small minority of our
customer base has led us to introduce, with immediate effect, a Fair Use
Policy to ensure we can continue to provide a good and fair level of
service. You can view the Fair Use Policy online at www.pipex.co.uk/legal.

We have established that your usage levels are in excess of the levels we
would expect for normal home use, and your behaviour along with a small
number of other customers may be having a detrimental effect on the service
available for the majority of the Pipex customer base.

We would like you to change your usage behaviour immediately or let us know
if you think we have got this wrong. If we don't see a reduction in your
usage in the next 14 days we will contact you again and may take further
action.

In addition to changing your usage behaviour there are a number of
alternatives for you to consider:

* You can move to our Midi Broadband product which has a usage allowance of
15GB a month with the opportunity to purchase more allowance on a monthly
basis. We would allow you to continue with your current level of usage on
this product as long as you confirm in writing to us that you are complying
with our Acceptable Use Policy and using your connection for normal home
use.

* You can switch to our sister company Bulldog Broadband where the service
may be more suited to your needs. You will need to purchase a telephone
service and line rental with a new 12 month contract. We advise that you
visit bulldogbroadband.com first to check that you can receive their
service. If you then decide to take this option please call us on 0800
1075902 to request a MAC code.

* You can switch to an alternative provider that offers you unrestricted use
of your broadband connection. If you wish to take this option please call us
on 0800 1075902 to request a MAC code.
Finally, please can you confirm to us in writing within the next 14 days
using the attached form that you are complying and will continue to comply
with our Fair Use and Acceptable Use Policies.

Yours sincerely

Mark Carberry
Director of Sales & Service
Registered office: 1 Triangle Business Park, Stoke Mandeville,
Buckinghamshire HP22 5BL
Company registration number: 5306519
VAT number: 722471355
Pipex Internet Ltd
PO Box 273, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire AL7 1YA
email: www.pipex.com

Old February 25th 07, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

May be this has happened to you?
Since 14th Feb my speed using usenetserver has dropped suddenly to 100Kb/s
or less.
I called Pipex who explained the reason is because I am a heavy user and
that by service has become "traffic managed" yet I am on a so called
"unlimited" account paying 33 per month for which I now get a dial-up like
service!

Could be, although i've only done 17Gb since 20th Jan (although i've
been on holiday for a week in that time)

I might make a call to see wtf they're playing at - i'm still on a 1Mbit
connection paying 24 a month (I didn't swap to a "max" package because
I didn't want to get roped in to another 12 month contract) - for not
much more I could be with Be and sign up for a seperate Giganews account
and get typically 14-17Mbit.
Old February 25th 07, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DubDriver

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message t...
[...]

Further note for anyone effected, Pipex say anyone that is being "traffic
managed" by them can leave before years contract is up without penalty.

I'm changing to Be after also considering Sky +, two TV packages and
broadband for 35, all that for only two quid more than I've been paying
Pipex!

Old February 25th 07, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anonym

"DubDriver" wrote in message
"Colin Wilson" o.uk
wrote in message t...
[...]

That is exactly what happened to me, During the call I was eventually
transferred to a "supervisor" who explained Pipex considered anyone
downloading more than 50GB per month to be a heavy user. Further, the timing
of such downloads makes no difference to Pipex; the fact that downloads may
occur overnight or during "off-peak" hours is irrelevant.

Here is the letter I received from them Saturday:

snip

I never got a letter! I think I'll complain! LOL!

Over the past couple of days Usenet speeds seem to have returned to normal
but now everyday browsing has become a nightmare. Two examples which I have
just done after clearing my IE cache.

My home page http://www.google.co.uk/ took 17.7 secs to download and
http://news.bbc.co.uk/ took a massive 57.7 secs, almost a minute on
broadband! (I am on Pipex's Solo 2000 package which claims speeds of
2.2Mbps)

Roll on the 1st March.

Old February 26th 07, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 16:47:23 GMT, "anonym" wrote:

Beware any avid newsgroups subscribers of Pipex's policy on using the
Usenet:

Downloaded 11MB newsgroup headers from Easynews nntp server took 24mins
35secs.

Downloaded 11.7MB zipped file from a music newsgroup using Easynews Web
interface took 46.7secs.

Pipex are not just throttling users of newsgroups, they've let their phantom
strangler loose.

The strangler has been on the rampage for a few months now.

I'd say that download speeds (using my pay news server) are no better
than during the days of the 28k modem, and during the following times:

Mon-Fri (5pm - 1am)
All Weekend (including the middle of the night)

You have to assume that Pipex want many of their customers to jump ship,
especially those who download more than just web pages, and have the audacity to
download at anytime other than the middle of the night during the working week.

Bob

Old February 26th 07, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I called Pipex who explained the reason is because I am a heavy user and
that by service has become "traffic managed"

I might make a call to see wtf they're playing at

Spoke to them earlier - i'm _not_ actually on their bad-boys list (which
surprised me tbh !), and they suggested I change my username and try a
couple of speed tests via the BT test site (shows 900+kbps).

The problem is, Pipexs' internal connectivity that seems to be at fault,
as connections can vary from normal to abysmal quite quickly.