HOw do I leave Demon Cheaply

Old February 20th 07, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Hammond

Default HOw do I leave Demon Cheaply

There service is very poor I;m only getting 20k downloads at the mo.

Old February 20th 07, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Denis McMahon

Stephen Hammond wrote:

There service is very poor I;m only getting 20k downloads at the mo.

Depends on the terms of your contract.

Try asking in demon.service

Denis McMahon
Old February 20th 07, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jay L. T. Cornwall

Stephen Hammond wrote:

There service is very poor I;m only getting 20k downloads at the mo.

Even Demon's transit isn't that poor quality, so either one of two
things has happened. You've broken Demon's fair use data transfer limit,
which is about 50GB/month, and been thottled to 128kbps (which sort of
ties in with that figure) or something is wrong between you and the
exchange.

Switching ISPs is unlikely to fix the latter. Many ISPs impose similar
transfer visible or invisible FUP limits on the former. If you're going
to switch, at least make sure it's an informed decision.

(People have reported varying degrees of success in escaping the 12
month contract early by complaining about being throttled, but legally
it's Demon's decision; their T&C, like all T&C, is so overly broad that
they could give you almost no service and still hold you to the contract
if they wanted to.)

--
Jay L. T. Cornwall, http://www.esuna.co.uk/~jay/
PhD Student
Old February 20th 07, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

"Jay L. T. Cornwall" wrote:

their T&C, like all T&C, is so overly broad that they could give you almost no
service and still hold you to the contract if they wanted to.

That would fall into the area of 'unfair terms' and could be challenged.

Graham

Old February 20th 07, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Hammond

"Jay L. T. Cornwall" wrote:

their T&C, like all T&C, is so overly broad that they could give you
almost no
service and still hold you to the contract if they wanted to.

That would fall into the area of 'unfair terms' and could be challenged.

Graham

I don't download that much hell I've only got a 80 Gb hard drive and it
isn't full ?

Old February 20th 07, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
andy

Stephen Hammond wrote:

"Jay L. T. Cornwall" wrote:

their T&C, like all T&C, is so overly broad that they could give you
almost no
service and still hold you to the contract if they wanted to.

That would fall into the area of 'unfair terms' and could be challenged.

Graham

I don't download that much hell I've only got a 80 Gb hard drive and it
isn't full ?

Do you have an unsecured wireless network ?, do you trust your neighbours ?

Old February 20th 07, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Stephen Hammond wrote:

"Jay L. T. Cornwall" wrote:

their T&C, like all T&C, is so overly broad that they could give you
almost no service and still hold you to the contract if they wanted to.

That would fall into the area of 'unfair terms' and could be challenged.

Graham

I don't download that much hell I've only got a 80 Gb hard drive and it
isn't full ?

That's hardly a reliable measure of anything !

Graham

Old February 21st 07, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G. Bell

On Tuesday, in article
"Eeyore" wrote:

Stephen Hammond wrote:

"Jay L. T. Cornwall" wrote:

their T&C, like all T&C, is so overly broad that they could give you
almost no service and still hold you to the contract if they wanted to.

That would fall into the area of 'unfair terms' and could be challenged.

Graham

I don't download that much hell I've only got a 80 Gb hard drive and it
isn't full ?

That's hardly a reliable measure of anything !

While I agree about it not being a reliable measure, it's a starting
point. 50 gigabytes per month is about 1.6 gigabytes per day, or about
20 kilobytes per second. All the time.

You'd have to be watching a lot of live video to exceed that without
downloading to hard drive.

Do Demon have a usage check page so you can see what they think you're
using?

(I used to be a Demon customer, and when I finally had broadband
enabled, I only changed because they didn't seem to be anything special
any more. In the last few months, I've begun to wonder is just being
ordinary is becoming special. Don't rush into a frying-pan/fire
situation.)

On the horizon, a carrier task force of the Salvation Navy was
turning into the wind, preparing to launch Zeppelins.