voip wifi phone recommendation needed

Old February 20th 07, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stephen Hammond

Default voip wifi phone recommendation needed

or are they all too dear

Setphen

Old February 20th 07, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Stephen Hammond wrote:
or are they all too dear

I have a UTS F1000G. They can be had for about 100 quid.

However I'd not recomend it for "serious" use - yet. Maybe they'll get
a new release of the s/w out soon though.

Good toy though, and when it's working, it's really good. (It loses
contact with the access point after a while and needs rebooting)

Gordon
Old February 20th 07, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Bray

Gordon Henderson wrote:
Good toy though, and when it's working, it's really good. (It loses
contact with the access point after a while and needs rebooting)

May I ask which firmware version you using, and which kind of access
point? Using WEP/WPA or not ?

Tim
Old February 21st 07, 01:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Linker3000

Stephen Hammond wrote:
or are they all too dear

Setphen

Is the Siemens Gigaset C450IP any good for you - it's not wifi but a
DECT/SIP phone with a base station that connects to both your network
via an RJ45 socket and to your regular landline (if you wish). I have
used one both direct to voip.co.uk and via an Asterisk server.

Might be worth a look if you're just after a phone to use round the
house - about 65 ISTR.
Old February 21st 07, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve Hayes

wrote:

On 20 Feb 2007 21:00:36 GMT,
(Gordon Henderson)
wrote:

In article ,
Stephen Hammond wrote:
or are they all too dear

I have a UTS F1000G. They can be had for about 100 quid.

However I'd not recomend it for "serious" use - yet. Maybe they'll get
a new release of the s/w out soon though.

Good toy though, and when it's working, it's really good. (It loses
contact with the access point after a while and needs rebooting)

Gordon

I am pleased you have posted this info Gordon I was thinking of buying
one on Friday you have just persuaded me not to bother now with your
comments about this phone , I will wait a little longer and get the
Linksys at twice the price just goes to prove you only get what you
pay for .

I'd wait for a bit more feedback before deciding on this. You might not be
any better off spending more.

I have a UTS F1000 (quite old now) which I had a lot of trouble with at
first - particularly failures to receive incoming calls. I did get it
working OK by forwarding ports, etc. Then my Linksys wireless router
failed. I replaced it with a Draytek and the F1000 has been close to
flawless (with much better range too) ever since. It looks like the router
has as much to do with whether things work as the phone does.

In general, I'm very pleased with the F1000. It connects quickly compared to
a phone connected via an ATA, has handy Caller Display and call log
functions and can be easily used in several different locations provided
that you have the network access configured for each one (maximum 4
different configurations, I think). I've never tried using public access
points though and doubt that it would be easy.

A few negatives though:

The menus are messy.

The phone is sometimes unstable (continuous reconnections) while charging. I
still haven't figured out what triggers this. Latest theory - perhaps it
happens if my mobile phone is nearby.

Very occasionally, the audio will start breaking up continuously in one
direction during a call (a sort of chuffing effect). I don't know if this
is the fault of the phone or not.

Short of setting up an Asterisk server, you can't use the F1000 to make or
receive calls via your landline. A standard cordless via something like an
SPA3000 (or the Siemens???) would be worth considering for this reason
alone if you only want to use it in one location.

--
----Steve Hayes, South Wales, UK----
Please remove colours from my e-mail address.
Old February 21st 07, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Tim Bray wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
Good toy though, and when it's working, it's really good. (It loses
contact with the access point after a while and needs rebooting)

May I ask which firmware version you using, and which kind of access
point? Using WEP/WPA or not ?

Tried with many APs. I have an 802.11b one close to me using WEP and
it's OK with that - but will de-register itself after some time.

It won't register at all with an 802.11b/g AP at a clients site (using
WPA).

Firmware is 1.90st

There doesn't appear to be any updates on their own website - refers me
to the place I got it from, who don't have any either (on their website
at least)

Gordon
Old February 21st 07, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Gordon Henderson wrote:

There doesn't appear to be any updates on their own website - refers me
to the place I got it from, who don't have any either (on their website
at least)

The latest I have is 2.71 for F1000G

http://www.provu.co.uk/firmware/F100...are_2.71st.zip

And 4.5 for F1000b

http://www.provu.co.uk/firmware/f100...TP_Package.zip

I'm sure an upgrade will help.

Regard WPA, utstarcom phones only support WPA with TKIP. Not AES. They
fail silently when faced with an AES access point.

Tim
Old February 22nd 07, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

Linker3000 wrote:
Stephen Hammond wrote:
or are they all too dear

Setphen

Is the Siemens Gigaset C450IP any good for you - it's not wifi but a
DECT/SIP phone with a base station that connects to both your network
via an RJ45 socket and to your regular landline (if you wish). I have
used one both direct to voip.co.uk and via an Asterisk server.

Might be worth a look if you're just after a phone to use round the
house - about 65 ISTR.

It's worth looking at (it's called a C460IP in the UK), DECT is a more
robust protocol than 802.11b/g wifi. I'm yet to try a wifi phone that
can handle roaming between access points properly.
Old March 9th 07, 07:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Torsten Mann

Linker3000 wrote:
Stephen Hammond wrote:
or are they all too dear

Setphen

Is the Siemens Gigaset C450IP any good for you - it's not wifi but a
DECT/SIP phone with a base station that connects to both your network
via an RJ45 socket and to your regular landline (if you wish). I have
used one both direct to voip.co.uk and via an Asterisk server.

I use the C450IP with Gizmo-Project/sipphone.com and it just work's
great. Since I do not have a regular fixed phone line I bought a Buffalo
G54S Router and set them up as a Client to catch Wifi internet access
from my landlord :

C450IP hooked up to the Buffalo's RJ45 Jack and the Buffalo connects
(kinda bridge) via WIFI to my landlords wifi router. That's it and it
works out great since I do not activate STUN capability.

Brgds, Torsten.