Physical line length

Old February 20th 07, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bassbag

Default Physical line length

I (like many) have relatively low bandwidth downloads (mines 1 meg max)
due to the physical length of line from my exchange.With BB speed getting
higher and higher ,is there anything that can be done (or is being done)
by BT...whether its new technology ,new cabling etc that can alleviate
these problems? ,or are those far away from exchanges up the creek
without a paddle? (so to speak).
tia
me
Old February 20th 07, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

bassbag wrote:

I (like many) have relatively low bandwidth downloads (mines 1 meg max)
due to the physical length of line from my exchange.

How far ?

With BB speed getting
higher and higher ,is there anything that can be done (or is being done)
by BT...whether its new technology ,new cabling etc that can alleviate
these problems? ,or are those far away from exchanges up the creek
without a paddle? (so to speak).

Cable as in coax from Virgin Media ! Or optical.

Graham

Old February 20th 07, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 20-Feb-2007, Eeyore wrote:

With BB speed getting
higher and higher ,is there anything that can be done (or is being done)
by BT...whether its new technology ,new cabling etc that can alleviate
these problems? ,or are those far away from exchanges up the creek
without a paddle? (so to speak).

Yes there are solutions, but they cost money, so you are
unlikely to be upgraded unless there are enough subscribers
to justify/finance the upgrade. Since people sign up for
different ISP's and there is little in it for BT, there is a lot
of inertia.
The main upgrade path for long lines is fibre to the kerb,
the cable television, ISDN, phone, model.
BT own the ducts and COULD pull in fibre, but they have
stated that fibre to the home (or kerb) isn't part of their
business model.
Other countries, particularly in the far east, are all pulling
in fibre, but not BT over here.
Longer term, WiMax, wireless broadband, may overtake BT,
making broadband part of the cellphone infrastructure.
The phone, internet, TV, buy by phone, bank by phone,
pay by phone (electronic wallet) model.
I see that China is trialing the electronic wallet, you
download credit from your bank, put it on your phone,
and pay like using a London Underground Oyster card.
The phone being your camera, mp3 player, TV, electronic
wallet, and other goodies. Which is driving other innovations
in how to power all this technology and keep it slim pocket
sized.

So in the short term, as you say, you are up the creek,
assuming you are not using a cheap or shiddy BB modem.
Old February 20th 07, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bassbag

In article ,
says...

On 20-Feb-2007, Eeyore wrote:

[...]

Thank you for that information.I use a router and 99% of the time get a
decent 960kbps ,which isnt bad for browsing.I did misguidingly think it
would be as easy as to ask them to reconnect me to the nearer exchange
(at a reasonable cost of course) but was more or less told this was
impossible.I dont know why though as the folks 20 yards up the road are
connected to nearer exchange.Ahh well i can live in hope.
Thank you again for the information.
me
Old February 21st 07, 12:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"bassbag" wrote in message
I (like many) have relatively low bandwidth downloads (mines 1 meg max)
due to the physical length of line from my exchange.With BB speed getting
higher and higher ,is there anything that can be done (or is being done)
by BT...whether its new technology ,new cabling etc that can alleviate
these problems? ,or are those far away from exchanges up the creek
without a paddle? (so to speak).
tia

I have read that Sky use ADSL2+ so that might give you a higher speed - if
available at your exchange.

--

Michael Chare

Old February 21st 07, 09:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 20-Feb-2007, bassbag wrote:

I dont know why though as the folks 20 yards up the road are
connected to nearer exchange.Ahh well i can live in hope.
Thank you again for the information.

You are obviously at the edge of the exchange area, with no
duct from up the road, they are not likely to do a
dig and put in a pole if needed just to speed up your
connection.