Connection dropping at 4:30-6:30AM

Old February 20th 07, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Loz

Default Connection dropping at 4:30-6:30AM

Hi,

I've recently changed from AOL (Fixed rate) to Entanet 8Mbps. I'm happy
with the speeds (quite often up to 800Kb/s) however, every morning
almost without exception my connection will re-establish.

The log is less than helpful

Feb 20 06:04:30 | local IP address 87.127.xxx.xxx
Feb 20 06:04:30 | PPPoA Connect with IP Address 87.127.xxx.xxx
Feb 20 06:04:30 | PPPoA Connection Successfully Established
Feb 20 06:04:30 | PPPoA Connect with Gateway IP Address: 84.45.xxx.xxx
Feb 20 06:04:30 | remote IP address 84.45.xxx.xxx
Feb 20 06:04:30 | primary DNS address 195.74.xxx.xxx
Feb 20 06:04:30 | secondary DNS address 195.74.xxx.xxx

My current stats a

Connection Status Connected
Ds Rate (Kbps) 8128
Us Rate (Kbps) 448
DS Margin 12
US Margin 26
DS Line Attenuation 26
US Line Attenuation 14
Trained Modulation ADSL_G.dmt
LOS Errors 0
Peak Cell Rate 1056 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast 0
CRC Tx Fast 0
CRC Rx Interleaved 3
CRC Tx Interleaved 0
Path Mode Interleaved
Uptime 14hr 33min 21sec

Any pointers much appreciated.
Old February 20th 07, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Loz wrote:

[...]

What does the log say *before* the re-establishment of a connection ?

Graham

Old February 20th 07, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Loz wrote:

Hi,

I've recently changed from AOL (Fixed rate) to Entanet 8Mbps. I'm
happy with the speeds (quite often up to 800Kb/s) however, every
morning almost without exception my connection will re-establish.

I suspect that it's a 'feature' of MaxDSL. You're lucky that it only happens
once per day!

I've been keeping a detailed log of all my (PlusNet) connection drops for
the past fortnight. During that time, the connection has dropped on 43
occasions. It has automatically re-established itself on all but 4 of those
occasions. On each of the 4 occasions when it didn't re-start, I had to
re-boot my router to get it going again.

Before I went onto MaxDSL (several months ago - so it shouldn't still be
re-training!) the connection would stay up for weeks on end.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old February 20th 07, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Loz

Eeyore wrote:

What does the log say *before* the re-establishment of a connection ?

Absolutely nothing. All that is in the log is details of the previous
connection being made, which is usually the morning before.
Old February 20th 07, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Loz

Roger Mills wrote:

I suspect that it's a 'feature' of MaxDSL. You're lucky that it only happens
once per day!

I've been keeping a detailed log of all my (PlusNet) connection drops for
the past fortnight. During that time, the connection has dropped on 43
occasions. It has automatically re-established itself on all but 4 of those
occasions. On each of the 4 occasions when it didn't re-start, I had to
re-boot my router to get it going again.

Sounds like a marginal SNR, maybe if you fell to the next lower sync
rate it'd be OK. Have you tried another router?

BT line check gives expected speed 8Mbps on my line, which is what I
get. I cannot work out what would be causing noise on the line at 5am
which isn't there any other time. Is anyone able to tell me if my
figures are comfortably within the margin, or borderline?

Old February 20th 07, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Loz wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:

I suspect that it's a 'feature' of MaxDSL. You're lucky that it only
happens once per day!

I've been keeping a detailed log of all my (PlusNet) connection
drops for the past fortnight. During that time, the connection has
dropped on 43 occasions. It has automatically re-established itself
on all but 4 of those occasions. On each of the 4 occasions when it
didn't re-start, I had to re-boot my router to get it going again.

Sounds like a marginal SNR, maybe if you fell to the next lower sync
rate it'd be OK. Have you tried another router?

I don't think it's that. The downstream SNR is consistently in excess of 6db
(7.5 at the moment). As far as I can tell, as often as not the line doesn't
lose synch - it's just that the LCP session drops and then re-establishes
(and no, I don't have inactivity timeouts). If the line *does* re-synch, its
always within a fairly small sped range - in the 3600 to 3800 kbps region.

I *have* got another router, although I haven't used it recently. That used
to consistenly synch at a lower speed than the one I'm using now - but the
connection was no more reliable.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old February 20th 07, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Loz

Roger Mills wrote:

I don't think it's that. The downstream SNR is consistently in excess of 6db
(7.5 at the moment). As far as I can tell, as often as not the line doesn't
lose synch - it's just that the LCP session drops and then re-establishes
(and no, I don't have inactivity timeouts). If the line *does* re-synch, its
always within a fairly small sped range - in the 3600 to 3800 kbps region.

I *have* got another router, although I haven't used it recently. That used
to consistenly synch at a lower speed than the one I'm using now - but the
connection was no more reliable.

A SNR in excess of 6dB should be fine. Some routers (Netgear?) Have a
habit of negotiating too high a speed and therefore causing SNR to drop
to well below 6dB.

Certainly there is a difference between 14 times a fortnight, all at the
small hours when I'm asleep - and 43 in the same time frame. Must be
annoying for sure.

Old February 20th 07, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JW

Loz wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

[...]

Before I fixed my extension wiring, I had a similar SNR (not
yet on Max) and my router would resync several times a day.
BT runs regular tests on phone lines which tend to be
about the same time every night and which could be
disturbing your connection.
Old February 20th 07, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Loz wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

What does the log say *before* the re-establishment of a connection ?

Absolutely nothing. All that is in the log is details of the previous
connection being made, which is usually the morning before.

Strange. Mine will show the disconnection and give some clues as to the reason.

See what happens when you disconnect the phone line. Does that get logged ?

Graham

Old February 20th 07, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Loz wrote:

Roger Mills wrote:

I suspect that it's a 'feature' of MaxDSL. You're lucky that it only happens
once per day!

I've been keeping a detailed log of all my (PlusNet) connection drops for
the past fortnight. During that time, the connection has dropped on 43
occasions. It has automatically re-established itself on all but 4 of those
occasions. On each of the 4 occasions when it didn't re-start, I had to
re-boot my router to get it going again.

Sounds like a marginal SNR, maybe if you fell to the next lower sync
rate it'd be OK. Have you tried another router?

BT line check gives expected speed 8Mbps on my line, which is what I
get. I cannot work out what would be causing noise on the line at 5am
which isn't there any other time. Is anyone able to tell me if my
figures are comfortably within the margin, or borderline?

They're very comfortable.

It's not that for sure.

Graham