Poor subjective performance from my broadband

Old February 20th 07, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Default Poor subjective performance from my broadband

I'm currently with Idnet on their Home Lite package.

My router's stats are fine - sync at 8128/448 kbps and have been that way since
the line settled.

My profile (BRAS?) is 7150 kbps.

A speedtest (from various sites) typically results in a 5Mbps download speed
(6Mbps the other night) and about 350k up. No problem there.

However, for the last month or so it has been feeling very sluggish (pages slow
to load and some sites feeling very jerky too) and some ping times have been
ridiculous (over 1000ms). In comparison it was very swift when I first started
using Idnet last Autumn.

Idnet assure me (and I tend to believe them) that there's no congestion on their
own network and they don't do any traffic management, so any such problems must
be either with BT or the server I'm trying to reach (and the route).

When I last spoke to Idnet a few days back they suggested that it's probably BT
having sold lots of the Max product without enough backbone capacity to properly
deal with it. As such it wouldn't help moving to another ISP such as Zen if
that's so.

Has anyone else come to this kind of conclusion ? The exchange I'm on is St
Albans btw.

Graham

Old February 20th 07, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"Eeyore" wrote in message
[...]

Tiscali is just as crap, the network comes to a complete stop at 6pm and to
cope with this - users are limited to a dial up speed connection ! After
11pm they put it back to normal.

Old February 20th 07, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bassbag

In article ,
says...
[...]

It might be worth downloading visualroute (it has a 15
day trial) ,which via packet loss ,node names,networks shows where
theres any congestion.
http://www.visualroute.com/index.html
It was very informative when i had similar problems with my isp which
used netservices network last year.
me
Old March 16th 07, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 20-Feb-2007, "Tony" wrote:

However, for the last month or so it has been feeling very sluggish (pages
slow
to load and some sites feeling very jerky too) and some ping times have
been
ridiculous (over 1000ms). In comparison it was very swift when I first
started
using Idnet last Autumn.

First thing you have to determine is whether it is time
of day related. Like are your speeds, like they were
originally, if you speed test in the Wee Small Hours?

This is quite common with P2P, symptomatic
of traffic shaping to cover lack of capacity, the bean
counters saying advertising brings in customers and
money. Improving the quality of service costs money,
but our national rate customer service lines
(keep'em listening to music for 20mins) a nice little
earner. After all they are stuck with us for a 12 month.