ADSL Max, explain please??

Old February 21st 07, 12:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Horse.trader

Default ADSL Max, explain please??

Being fairly new to broadband, I recently signed up for ADSL max, up to 8
Mbps broadband.

I was told for the next 10 days the speed would vary, finding the best speed
for my particular BT line.

That was 6 days ago, the speed began great, connecting at 4.9 Mbps, speeds
testing on line indication about 3.9 Mbps, now, 6 days later it's about 4.7
Mbps connection speed (to the exchange?) and only 2.9 ish Mbps actual line
speed.

An interesting point, the 'up' speed is constant every day at 382 Kbps.

Is this normal please?

Brian (Huddersfield)

Old February 21st 07, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

"Horse.trader" wrote in message
Being fairly new to broadband, I recently signed up for ADSL max, up to 8
Mbps broadband.

I was told for the next 10 days the speed would vary, finding the best
speed for my particular BT line.

That was 6 days ago, the speed began great, connecting at 4.9 Mbps, speeds
testing on line indication about 3.9 Mbps, now, 6 days later it's about
4.7 Mbps connection speed (to the exchange?) and only 2.9 ish Mbps actual
line speed.

An interesting point, the 'up' speed is constant every day at 382 Kbps.

Is this normal please?

It sounds correct.
I have two max ADSL lines.
One achieves about 4.5 and the other 2.5
Its all down to the line noise and attenuation between you and the exchange.

Before Max ADSL they used to say to me "you can only have 1 meg because the
line is not good enough".
Max ADSL is beter because it lets you have the maximum speed possible on
your line but it does make people disappointed because its advetised as "up
to 8" which some people see as misleading. They should really have
advertised it as up to 4 with higher speeds possible in some locations.

--
Gordon Hudson || Hostroute.com Ltd
e-mail:ghudson [at] hostroute.net

Old February 21st 07, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Horse.trader

"Gordon Hudson" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you Gordon........

I agree with the disappointment, I was expecting higher, but, I live in
between two very powerful radio transmitters (outskirts of Huddersfield) so
I guess I should be grateful with my 2.9 meg, certainly better than the
previous 1 meg.

Brian

Old March 8th 07, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Capri-Sun

"Horse.trader" wrote in message
Being fairly new to broadband, I recently signed up for ADSL max, up to 8
Mbps broadband.

I was told for the next 10 days the speed would vary, finding the best
speed for my particular BT line.

That was 6 days ago, the speed began great, connecting at 4.9 Mbps, speeds
testing on line indication about 3.9 Mbps, now, 6 days later it's about
4.7 Mbps connection speed (to the exchange?) and only 2.9 ish Mbps actual
line speed.

An interesting point, the 'up' speed is constant every day at 382 Kbps.

Is this normal please?

MAX works by using frequencies that are usually deemed out of the range of
most phone lines - which is why a lot of people settle at pretty much normal
ADSL speeds. The max line software tests things like packet loss over your
first week of usage to find a balance between data rate and data integrity -
When you were on 5mb you were probably losing data every so often.

Brian (Huddersfield)