PPPoE support by ISP required to use modem and router combo?

Old February 21st 07, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Al

Default PPPoE support by ISP required to use modem and router combo?

My son recently bought a Netgear RP614 4-port router so that he could
connect his two computers to my Netgear DG634 modem/router, which has
my own computer connected to it via USB. I thought if I set the DG634
to modem mode (routing off) and connected the RP614 to it, it should
be able to get internet access.

However, although the RP614 successfully gets an IP address from the
DG634, no internet action happens. After much research, it appears
that my ISP would have to support PPPoE for this to work, and only
cable networks do. Is this correct?

Old February 22nd 07, 01:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

"Al" wrote in message
ps.com...

My son recently bought a Netgear RP614 4-port router so that he could
connect his two computers to my Netgear DG634 modem/router, which has
my own computer connected to it via USB.

Mixing USB and real ethernet often causes problems.

I thought if I set the DG634
to modem mode (routing off) and connected the RP614 to it, it should
be able to get internet access.

I think you will need to have routing on for this to work and make sure you
have different networks on both sides.

However, although the RP614 successfully gets an IP address from the
DG634, no internet action happens. After much research, it appears
that my ISP would have to support PPPoE for this to work, and only
cable networks do. Is this correct?

Possibly. Can I just ask why you used a second router when a switch would
have been fine?

Old February 22nd 07, 01:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Al

On Feb 22, 1:00 am, "David Wade" wrote:

"Al" wrote in message

However, although the RP614 successfully gets an IP address from the
DG634, no internet action happens. After much research, it appears
that my ISP would have to support PPPoE for this to work, and only
cable networks do. Is this correct?

Possibly. Can I just ask why you used a second router when a switch would
have been fine?

Good point! It was his idea to buy the RP614, after seeing how his
friend used the same model to share 'net access from a modem (further
discussions revealed it to be a cable modem.) Now that he's opened
it, he can't return it for a refund, so that's why I'm trying to get
it to work with my DG632. When they connect together, the RP614 wants
to initiate a PPPoE session, and my ISP (Virgin.net) only works with
PPPoA...

Old February 22nd 07, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Saville

On 21 Feb 2007 17:18:34 -0800, Al wrote:

Possibly. Can I just ask why you used a second router when a switch would
have been fine?

Good point! It was his idea to buy the RP614, after seeing how his
friend used the same model to share 'net access from a modem (further
discussions revealed it to be a cable modem.) Now that he's opened
it, he can't return it for a refund, so that's why I'm trying to get
it to work with my DG632. When they connect together, the RP614 wants
to initiate a PPPoE session, and my ISP (Virgin.net) only works with
PPPoA...

You can't have two modems on one line - which is what it sounds like you are
trying to do. Connect the two with ethernet and turn of all ADSL/modem things
on the second so it is *just* a router.

--

Regards

Dave Saville

Old February 22nd 07, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

On 22 Feb, 02:18, "Al" wrote:

Good point! It was his idea to buy the RP614, after seeing how his
friend used the same model to share 'net access from a modem (further
discussions revealed it to be a cable modem.) Now that he's opened
it, he can't return it for a refund, so that's why I'm trying to get
it to work with my DG632. When they connect together, the RP614 wants
to initiate a PPPoE session, and my ISP (Virgin.net) only works with
PPPoA...

Switch off NAT and DHCP in the RP614 and give it a fixed IP address.
Then connect a network cable between the two routers using the LAN
ports - don't use the WAN port on the RP614. Not sure if you'll need
a cross-over cable or whether a straight through cable will do.