Setting a personal VoIP network

Old February 21st 07, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Setting a personal VoIP network

Hi:

I am thinking of creating a "dedicated personal VoIP network" to
connect my parent's home phone (in India) with mine in Canada. I have
a very little knowledge about the VoIP technology, but after a brief
research, my undersatnding about the architechture of the VoIP is as
below:

phone--PC--gateway--internet--gateway--PC--phone
==== Canada ==== ===== India =====

To install the system, I may need following components in both
locations:

1) Each PC (Windows XP) at both locations should have:
a) Network card connected to internet services;
b) Gatekeeper and Call Processing software been installed and
running;
c) Phone line from wall is connected to the RJ11 port (line);
d) Phone is connected to the RJ11 port (phone);
2) Each Gateway (either PCI card or modem like box) connected to the
PC at one side and other to the internet (either through modem or
home
network router).

Now, I have questions and need your suggestions:

1) What Gatekeeper and Call Processing software should I use ? (I
prefer open source and free).
2) Where can I buy a good "Gateway" (PCI card or modem like box) ?
3) Do I need any management software installed in the PC (for
configuration) ?

Old February 21st 07, 07:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 19:10:44 GMT, Thomas Kenyon

Hi:

I am thinking of creating a "dedicated personal VoIP network" to
connect my parent's home phone (in India) with mine in Canada. I have
a very little knowledge about the VoIP technology, but after a brief
research, my undersatnding about the architechture of the VoIP is as
below:

If you have ADSL connections at each end, then you can buy all that you
need embedded into an ADSL modem. (that way, you can also make and
receive calls with the computers switched off).

If all you want to do is to connect 2 points with voip then you don't
need the shed load of equipment you listed - nothing like it.
All you need is an ATA (analogue Telephone Adapter) or an ATA/router
if you haven't got a router, at each end. You don't need a computer
in the link at all except for the initial setting up of the ATA.
Popular ATAs are made by Linksys/Sipura, the SPA-3102 being an ATA
with a single LAN output. The Fritzbox Fon (several variations) is
also one to look at.
If you want something more sophisticated then you should look at
running an old computer and running the free Trixbox software on it (
a development of Asterisk.) see www.trixbox.org

It is possible to link 2 locations together without the services of a
voip service provider but it is easier to use one and most are free.

I you could be clearer about just what you what to do then it will be
possible to be more specific about recommendations.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old February 21st 07, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Brian A" wrote in message

[snip]

If you want something more sophisticated then you should
look at running an old computer and running the free
Trixbox software on it ( a development of Asterisk.) see
www.trixbox.org

It is possible to link 2 locations together without the
services of a voip service provider but it is easier to
use one and most are free.

I am told that Trixbox isn't the most reliable version of Asterisk for
this sort of application. I am involved with a group of telephone
collectors (www.ckts.info) and we have an extensive private network up and
running in the US, UK and even New Zealand, using mostly Fedora 4 which
has apparently been proven to be the most reliable to use.

I'm not an Asterisk expert so please don't ask me any more..!

Ivor

Old February 21st 07, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RH

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi:

I am thinking of creating a "dedicated personal VoIP network" to
connect my parent's home phone (in India) with mine in Canada. I have
a very little knowledge about the VoIP technology, but after a brief
research, my undersatnding about the architechture of the VoIP is as
below:

You may find it slighly more difficult to get a working connection on the
indian side,
not all countries government are so open to VOIP and India is quite
restricted. Most restrictions
are legal issues stopping non indian comapnies offering services, but like
other countries it may be
highly likely that the VOIP ports used are blocked or subject to packet
shaping to stop voip services
like even Skype being usable

Old February 22nd 07, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Henry Hooray

wrote in message
[...]

Set up a PBX from somebody like Voipfone - that should do the trick, I
think.

Old February 24th 07, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Hongtian

If you have MS-Windows based computers, I suggest you can try
miniSipServer and X-lite to setup your own VOIP network. But before
that, you shall confirm that VOIP is permitted in your country.

Old February 25th 07, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
writes:
Hi:

I am thinking of creating a "dedicated personal VoIP network" to
connect my parent's home phone (in India) with mine in Canada. I have

I have done the same across 5 family members, spread across 2 countries.

I'm using Solaris x86 to run the SIP server (it comes with ser, an
open source SIP server). I also run an STUN server on it, so those
family members with NAT'ed IP connections can interconnect with the
rest of us. An STUN server needs to run on a server with two real
routable IP addresses, so one of the homes has a routed /29 subnet,
which isn't available from all internet providers. The SIP server can
share one of these routable IP addresses (actually, I have it on both).
You can probably use a public STUN server somewhere, and of course
there are commercial SIP servers around, but then you are getting
away from running a "dedicated personal VoIP network" which you
wanted to.

For the phones, I use ATAs, Sipura SPA3000's. I decided that if it was
going to work across the whole family, it had to work without leaving
PC's switched on in each household (only the single SIP/STUN server
is left on), and it had to work using the already installed phones,
not some additional separate phone. The SPA3000's all register on
the SIP server, and those with NAT'ed internet connections are
configured to use the STUN server too.

It's all been running for 18 months now, without any problems.

As someone else said, I don't know what specific problems you might
have doing VoIP in India. In some markets, the Voice service is
protected by the State and/or monopoly providers.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old March 9th 07, 01:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Robert Phoenix

Hongtian wrote:

If you have MS-Windows based computers, I suggest you can try
miniSipServer and X-lite to setup your own VOIP network. But before
that, you shall confirm that VOIP is permitted in your country.

What about setting up a Virtual Private Network between the two PCs (or more
generally between the private LANs at the two addresses). This is a
Networking matter rather than VoIP, but it is relevant as it then makes the
end to end VoIP almost trivial.

If you are using a private network (which in effect you are over a VPN) you
don't need to worry (from a technical viewpoint) about anything in the
middle. If the VPN works at all, it should work for all traffic as the
traffic is encrypted and not viewable by entities in the middle. This also
enhances the privacy of the call.

There may be legal aspects (DYOR; I am Not a Lawyer) but technically I can't
see why a private VoIP network would ever NOT be protected by VPNs.