DECP/SIP phone bank thing ...

Old February 22nd 07, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Gordon Henderson

Default DECP/SIP phone bank thing ...

What I'm after is running half a dozen cordless phones which connect to
a local (asterisk) PBX via Ethernet/SIP.

I'm not intersted in the current crop of WiFi SIP phones, so So I'm
wondering just how many DECT basestations I can run in the same location
(it's a bit warehouse, but the actual basestations might well be within
a few meters of each other) Or is there a better way? Eg. one BIG base
station with separate phones, each on their own SIP accounts?

I've found the Siemens C460IP which is a starter, and half a dozen of
those would work nicely, but I've never been able to satisfactorily work
out just how many DECT basestations I can have in the same location...

Does anyone know, or can they point me in the direction of some documents
that might explain it all?

Thanks,

Gordon
Old February 22nd 07, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Tim

Gordon Henderson wrote:

I've found the Siemens C460IP which is a starter, and half a dozen of
those would work nicely, but I've never been able to satisfactorily work
out just how many DECT basestations I can have in the same location...

On page 22 of the Siemens C460IP user manual it says `60 Duplex
channels` which to me, implies 60 simultaneous calls within the same area.

So I reckon you are more than fine with 6 base stations.

At sometime in the future, there will be an S450IP phone that supports
more than one SIP account on the base. Not for a few months though.

If you want a really really professional system, then there is a company
called Icon Plc who sell professional wireless systems. Which is DECT
like you have never seen dect before. Doesn't come cheap though. I'm
not sure whether they have their SIP version sorted out yet. Will
guarantee coverage all over your building with repeaters, multiple
access points etc.

Tim
Old February 22nd 07, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Tim wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:

I've found the Siemens C460IP which is a starter, and half a dozen of
those would work nicely, but I've never been able to satisfactorily work
out just how many DECT basestations I can have in the same location...

On page 22 of the Siemens C460IP user manual it says `60 Duplex
channels` which to me, implies 60 simultaneous calls within the same area.

So I reckon you are more than fine with 6 base stations.

OK. If my client wants to fork out for it, I may just give it a go..
(And they already have 2 DECT phones, one on an analogue port on their PBX
and one on the fax machine, I'm having problems weaning them off them
and onto Desk phones (leaving the DECT phone for times when they really
need to wander), so if they all had their own DECT phone it would solve
everything... (or create a new set of issues ;-)

I did have issues a while back though, which is why I'm asking. I had
3 DECT base-stations in the same location and when the 3rd one was
powered on, the other 2 would be come unreliable - bad voice quality,
or the handsets failing to register with the base stations. However,
the 3rd one was some weird USB Skype device, so who knows what it was
really doing... It did claim to be GAP compliant though.

At sometime in the future, there will be an S450IP phone that supports
more than one SIP account on the base. Not for a few months though.

Interesting, but not something I need right now though.

If you want a really really professional system, then there is a company
called Icon Plc who sell professional wireless systems. Which is DECT
like you have never seen dect before. Doesn't come cheap though. I'm
not sure whether they have their SIP version sorted out yet. Will
guarantee coverage all over your building with repeaters, multiple
access points etc.

Hm. I bet it's quite a few though! Their "Kirk" range seems to have
VoIP capability. Might drop them a line...

Thanks,

Gordon
Old February 22nd 07, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Tim

Gordon Henderson wrote:
OK. If my client wants to fork out for it, I may just give it a go..
(And they already have 2 DECT phones, one on an analogue port on their PBX
and one on the fax machine, I'm having problems weaning them off them
and onto Desk phones (leaving the DECT phone for times when they really
need to wander), so if they all had their own DECT phone it would solve
everything... (or create a new set of issues ;-)

Wandering is good though

I did have issues a while back though, which is why I'm asking. I had
3 DECT base-stations in the same location and when the 3rd one was
powered on, the other 2 would be come unreliable - bad voice quality,
or the handsets failing to register with the base stations. However,
the 3rd one was some weird USB Skype device, so who knows what it was
really doing... It did claim to be GAP compliant though.

Did the third one have a CE mark? Sounds like it is spewing some EMC.

Hm. I bet it's quite a few though! Their "Kirk" range seems to have
VoIP capability. Might drop them a line...

VoIP does not always imply SIP.

loads of pounds. Also a professional survey and install.

Tim