sky broadband reliability?

Old February 22nd 07, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default sky broadband reliability?

I have just found out that Sky have finally grabbed hold on my exchange.
For £5 extra on my sky sub I can get the broadband but I am wondering if its
a case of "cheap but you get what you pay for"?

I don't need a high download limit as I am not a big downloader, only the
occasional xbox 360 demo. Speaking of 360, does anyone have any problems
with the sky router with 360 live? Or indeed do I have to use their router?
Can I use my good old reliable d-link?

Old February 22nd 07, 03:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Beck wrote:
I have just found out that Sky have finally grabbed hold on my exchange.
For £5 extra on my sky sub I can get the broadband but I am wondering if
its
a case of "cheap but you get what you pay for"?

I don't need a high download limit as I am not a big downloader, only the
occasional xbox 360 demo. Speaking of 360, does anyone have any problems
with the sky router with 360 live? Or indeed do I have to use their
router?
Can I use my good old reliable d-link?

Use sky router with 360 no problem, using the max service, excellent so far,
reliable and fast.

Gaz

Old February 22nd 07, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Gaz" wrote in message
Beck wrote:
I have just found out that Sky have finally grabbed hold on my exchange.
For £5 extra on my sky sub I can get the broadband but I am wondering if
its
a case of "cheap but you get what you pay for"?

I don't need a high download limit as I am not a big downloader, only the
occasional xbox 360 demo. Speaking of 360, does anyone have any problems
with the sky router with 360 live? Or indeed do I have to use their
router?
Can I use my good old reliable d-link?

Use sky router with 360 no problem, using the max service, excellent so
far, reliable and fast.

hmm what to do. Obviously everyone will have a different service experience
trouble is its probably a 12 month contract and I am not sure I want to deal
with contracts again. Just only managed to crawl out of the Plusnet
contract and going back to another might not be wise, especially when there
are offerings with a 30 day notice period.
Still, its £5 a month and might be worth a leap of faith.

Old February 22nd 07, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

"Beck" [email protected] wrote in message

"Gaz" wrote in message
Beck wrote:
[...]

I hope it works for you. It certainly didn't for my mother-in-law. Installed
over a month ago, still not working. Sky don't want to know, or are
incapable of understanding.
Good luck!

Old February 22nd 07, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Motion

"Gaz" wrote in message
Beck wrote:
[...]

I've orded Sky after getting my MAC from BT on the 11th Dec 06, evan though
I'm now online with Sky, they still havn't sorted out my billing as the
account needs to be "data fixed"?!

It took them 15 emails, 20 calls and 3 weeks to get them to send my modem
out and I'm STILL waiting for my Username and Password

I've given them to the end of the month to sort things out, then I'm going
to reqest a MAC.

Old February 22nd 07, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Grumps" wrote in message

I hope it works for you. It certainly didn't for my mother-in-law.
Installed over a month ago, still not working. Sky don't want to know, or
are incapable of understanding.
Good luck!

Your mum would have a claim under the right to cancel as the service is not
as described. Has she tried that route?

Old February 22nd 07, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

"Grumps" wrote in message

I hope it works for you. It certainly didn't for my mother-in-law.
Installed over a month ago, still not working. Sky don't want to know, or
are incapable of understanding.
Good luck!

Your mum would have a claim under the right to cancel as the service is
not as described. Has she tried that route?

I'd agree.
Description of service: 2Meg broadband.
Actual service supplied: Sod all!

She wants it working. But a time must come when enough is enough.
If it were me, that time would have long since gone.
She's only ever had dial-up, isn't really in a hurry to get broadband (life
seems busy for the retired), and doesn't pay per month as it's part of a Sky
package.

Old February 22nd 07, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Grumps" wrote in message

I'd agree.
Description of service: 2Meg broadband.
Actual service supplied: Sod all!

She wants it working. But a time must come when enough is enough.
If it were me, that time would have long since gone.
She's only ever had dial-up, isn't really in a hurry to get broadband
(life seems busy for the retired), and doesn't pay per month as it's part
of a Sky package.

Despite your mums poor service I have taken a risk and ordered it. Should
be ready in up to 2 weeks. I did a bit a research and it seems most of the
problems are related to the free offering. I chose the £5 per month one,
hopefully everything goes okay.

Old February 22nd 07, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Grumps" wrote in message

I hope it works for you. It certainly didn't for my mother-in-law.
Installed over a month ago, still not working. Sky don't want to
know, or are incapable of understanding.
Good luck!

Your mum would have a claim under the right to cancel as the
service is not as described. Has she tried that route?

I'd agree.
Description of service: 2Meg broadband.
Actual service supplied: Sod all!

She wants it working. But a time must come when enough is enough.
If it were me, that time would have long since gone.
She's only ever had dial-up, isn't really in a hurry to get
broadband (life seems busy for the retired), and doesn't pay per
month as it's part of a Sky package.

You're still got a bit to go, it only took SKY over 2 months to get my
service working, that's even after being given complete diagnostics
about what the fault was (their own equipment incorrectly installed at
my local exchange). Keep chasing them at least once if not twice a
week, do not let them put you off with it's a BT problem, the chances
it will be SKYs but if there is a problem on BTs side it's up to SKY
to get it resolved not for you to report it.

If you can chase it up the tree as well refuse to speak to the front
desk operatives & demand to speak to team leaders/back desk support &
even resort to sending letters as well.

I eventually got mine fixed by flagging the issue up to my CEO at
Openreach & asked him to pass it over his SKYNET counterpart, took 2
days to get someone to site & less than 60 minutes to get the problem
sorted out once he got there.

Best of luck to you, all I can say is that it's been rock solid, once
I had tuned the connection, without any hiccups the only problem I
have now is the very intermitent mail servers but they are very easy
to bypass...