BT Help needed - moving a line to a new pole

Old February 22nd 07, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom

Default BT Help needed - moving a line to a new pole

Hi, Hopefully someone can offer me a little advice with a BT problem
I'm having !

I've recently moved house, giving up an NTL cable connection in the
process, and now I'm trying to get ADSL broadband at my new home.
After spending some four hours on the phone bouncing between Orange
(my chosen ISP) and BT, I've got nowhere fast.

In short, my neighbours either side of me can get 6.5MB minimum ADSL,
as we are all just 200 metres from the exchange. I can get nothing.
Not according to Orange and ultimately BT via their ADSL checker page,
as my line is "too far from the exchange" !!

Looking outside my new house I can see that my neighbours are
connected to telegraph poles on our side of the road. I, on the other
hand, am connected to a pole on the opposite side of the road, and
what's more, I am the ONLY wire coming off that pole. This is
certainly the cause of my ADSL woes.

I am trying to get BT to move my line to one of poles that my
neighbours are connected to (one of which is actually physically
nearer to me than the one I'm currently connected to !), but it's like
trying to get blood out of a stone.

One chap at BT suggested I order an additional line, which (according
to his screen) they could guarantee would support at least 6.5MB ADSL
(i.e. it would be coming from one of the other poles), then transfer
my number from the old line to the new one, then cancel the old
line..... but this would cost me 125 plus any extra costs involved in
moving the number etc.

I don't think this is fair. If BT move my line, they will be getting
the extra income from an additional broadband subscriber, AND they
would no longer have to look after the pole as without my connection,
it's obsolete.

I have complained via email to BT and am awaiting a reply - but I'm
not hopeful. My experience of BT in the 5 days I've been a new
customer of theirs is very disappointing indeed.

Does anyone have any suggestions please ? I'm slowly going insane
trying to get something done about this.

Many MANY thanks to anyone who can help me !

Cheers,

Kev.

Old February 22nd 07, 03:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Ash

On Feb 22, 3:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

Kev

You might find that you're on the border of two exchange areas and
that your line is fed from a different exchange from your neighbours -
it might be worth running an ADSL check on yours and your neighbours
number - you can then see if the serving exchange code of each is
different or not. If you're on a different exchange then moving the
line to the other pole will be impossible. If you're on the same
exchange then you're looking at a line plant rearrangement - which
will be expensive.

My gut feeling is that you could be served off a different exchange,
in which case ordering a new line and requesting being served off the
nearer exchange would be the best and cheapest option.

Old February 22nd 07, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Mike

"Ash" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Feb 22, 3:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

Find the worst driver in your area with the largest vehicle and ply him with
drink. He might run into the old pole and cure the problem :-)

Old February 22nd 07, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom

My gut feeling is that you could be served off a different exchange,
in which case ordering a new line and requesting being served off the
nearer exchange would be the best and cheapest option.

We are all on the same exchange - it would appear that my line is
connected to the exchange via the pole over the road, then via nova
scotia or somewhere, before returning to the exchange 200 metres
behind my house ! :-)

Find the worst driver in your area with the largest vehicle and ply him with
drink. He might run into the old pole and cure the problem :-)

Oh, I've thought of all the options on that front... Trouble is,
they're all illegal :-)
....and the BT engineer may just repair the damage to my line / pole
and leave me in the same position !

What I'm having trouble understanding though, is that before I moved
to the new house, I put the previous owner's number
into Orange's broadband checking page and it said that not only was
broadband available on the line, but I could
expect between 6.5 and 8 Meg !! Now, that's the same line, on the
same pole, just two weeks ago. All that's changed is that
the line now has a different number (brought over from my old NTL
account). How on earth can one number have broadband and a new number
not, when we're using the same hardware ??

Old February 22nd 07, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
The Simpsons

What I'm having trouble understanding though, is that before I moved
to the new house, I put the previous owner's number
into Orange's broadband checking page and it said that not only was
broadband available on the line, but I could
expect between 6.5 and 8 Meg !! Now, that's the same line, on the
same pole, just two weeks ago. All that's changed is that
the line now has a different number (brought over from my old NTL
account). How on earth can one number have broadband and a new number
not, when we're using the same hardware ??

When your number was transfered from NTL there would probably be some delay
before the broadband checker is updated. Try again in a few weeks and I
expect you would get a positive result.
In this situation a good ISP would offer to raise the broadband order
manually with BT Openreach.

Fred

Old February 22nd 07, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Capt Jack Sparrow

"Eeyore" wrote in message

The Simpsons wrote:

[...]

So, go back to your chosen ISP and explain the problem. Give details of
your neighbour who has Broadband and ask for it to be dealt with between the
ISP and their supplier (BT Wholesale). If your chosen ISP will not (or say
they cannot) help, this is a good example of what you can expect in the
future from their customer service. At this point ditch that choice of ISP
and chose another one and start again.

JJ

Old February 22nd 07, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
dylan30

"Eeyore" wrote in message

The Simpsons wrote:

[...]

or some isp will not take NTL numbers. I was am ntl customer 4 years ago.
Moved to Bt casue of service issues. Got broadband with plusnet (fine up
until the end). I tried move to talk talk & they said no cause it was an ntl
number despite being a bt customer. NTL still own that number and if its
ever give up ownership goes back to NTL to reuse not BT. Some ISPs or at
least Talk Talk have a problem with this !

Regards

adam

Old February 22nd 07, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Capt Jack Sparrow

"dylan30" wrote in message
news

or some isp will not take NTL numbers. I was am ntl customer 4 years ago.
Moved to Bt casue of service issues. Got broadband with plusnet (fine up
until the end). I tried move to talk talk & they said no cause it was an
ntl number despite being a bt customer. NTL still own that number and if
its ever give up ownership goes back to NTL to reuse not BT. Some ISPs or
at least Talk Talk have a problem with this !

AIUI the rules on migrated numbers (ie one that has moved from one telco to
another) is that the customer can now chose to move it to a 3rd, or even 4th
telco, without hitting this issue, **PROVIDED** it is the SAME customer.

SO Mr Blogs could have had 01234 987654 with Firts Telecom, then moved it to
Slightly Cheaper Phones, and then on to Rock Bottom Calls without any
problem. And at some date in the future he could then move it on again, if
he so chose.

However, if Mr Blogs gives up service on 01234 987654 it **MUST** be offered
back to the original doning telco, in the above example Firts Telecom.

IIRC the only exception would be if Mr Blogs shuffled off this mortal coil,
and it could then be transferred to Mrs Blogs.

It definately works with Mobile Numbers. Mine started out with Cellnet,
then moved to Orange, then Vodafone and now resides with Virgin. At no time
have I had a problem moving it. The same SHOULD apply to landlines AIUI.

HTH

JJ