Drive-by pharming and NTL cable connection.

Old February 22nd 07, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Default Drive-by pharming and NTL cable connection.

Can anyone please tell me whether Drive-by pharming is a potential problem
using an Ethernet NTL cable connection (a question asked by a friend-I have
BT Broadband) i.e. can one log into the NTL modem alter settings etc? is the
modem password protected?
Advice appreciated.

Peter

Old February 22nd 07, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Peter" wrote in message
Can anyone please tell me whether Drive-by pharming is a potential problem
using an Ethernet NTL cable connection (a question asked by a friend-I
have BT Broadband) i.e. can one log into the NTL modem alter settings etc?
is the modem password protected?
Advice appreciated.

Do you mean like wireless war driving? Not possible on an ethernet, only
wireless.

Old February 22nd 07, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Beck wrote:
"Peter" wrote in message
Can anyone please tell me whether Drive-by pharming is a potential
problem using an Ethernet NTL cable connection (a question asked
by a friend-I have BT Broadband) i.e. can one log into the NTL
modem alter settings etc? is the modem password protected?
Advice appreciated.

Do you mean like wireless war driving? Not possible on an
ethernet, only wireless.

To make it clearer any Wifi solution unless adequately secured (both
ADSL & Cable) are succeptable...

Old February 22nd 07, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Peter wrote:

Can anyone please tell me whether Drive-by pharming is a potential problem
using an Ethernet NTL cable connection (a question asked by a friend-I have
BT Broadband) i.e. can one log into the NTL modem alter settings etc? is the
modem password protected?

What's " Drive-by pharming " ? Ok I found something with Google but I still
don't understand why you'd think Virgin Media was especially susceptible.

Graham

Old February 22nd 07, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Peter" wrote in message
Can anyone please tell me whether Drive-by pharming is a potential problem
using an Ethernet NTL cable connection (a question asked by a friend-I
have BT Broadband) i.e. can one log into the NTL modem alter settings etc?
is the modem password protected?
Advice appreciated.

It is an attack on the users router not the modem.
It only works if the user doesn't set a password on his/her router.

Old February 22nd 07, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

"[email protected]" wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message

Can anyone please tell me whether Drive-by pharming is a potential problem
using an Ethernet NTL cable connection (a question asked by a friend-I
have BT Broadband) i.e. can one log into the NTL modem alter settings etc?
is the modem password protected?
Advice appreciated.

It is an attack on the users router not the modem.
It only works if the user doesn't set a password on his/her router.

By 'drive by' is this something that ppl do to wireless routers ?

If so, a wired (ethernet) only router such as NTL provide is safe.

Graham

Old February 22nd 07, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ian

On Thursday 22 February 2007 9:28 pm, in MID
, Eeyore
) wrote:

"[email protected]" wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message

Can anyone please tell me whether Drive-by pharming is a potential
problem using an Ethernet NTL cable connection (a question asked by a
friend-I have BT Broadband) i.e. can one log into the NTL modem alter
settings etc? is the modem password protected?
Advice appreciated.

It is an attack on the users router not the modem.
It only works if the user doesn't set a password on his/her router.

By 'drive by' is this something that ppl do to wireless routers ?

No

If so, a wired (ethernet) only router such as NTL provide is safe.

Some info at
http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/security_response/weblog/2007/02/driveby_pharming_how_clicking_1.html

Make of it what you will...

--
Ian...
Old February 22nd 07, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Hudson

"kraftee" wrote in message
Beck wrote:
"Peter" wrote in message
Can anyone please tell me whether Drive-by pharming is a potential
problem using an Ethernet NTL cable connection (a question asked
by a friend-I have BT Broadband) i.e. can one log into the NTL
modem alter settings etc? is the modem password protected?
Advice appreciated.

Do you mean like wireless war driving? Not possible on an
ethernet, only wireless.

To make it clearer any Wifi solution unless adequately secured (both ADSL
& Cable) are succeptable...

I suppose thats true but mine is so rubbish I can barely see the wireless
network in the house let alone outside.
All those ads of peopl,e using laptops in the garden?
Its a load of rubbish.
Mine doesn't even get as far as my conservatory!

Sorry, rant over, I think its down to thick walls and rubbish equipment.

Old February 22nd 07, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Eeyore" wrote in message

"[email protected]" wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message

Can anyone please tell me whether Drive-by pharming is a potential
problem
using an Ethernet NTL cable connection (a question asked by a friend-I
have BT Broadband) i.e. can one log into the NTL modem alter settings
etc?
is the modem password protected?
Advice appreciated.

It is an attack on the users router not the modem.
It only works if the user doesn't set a password on his/her router.

By 'drive by' is this something that ppl do to wireless routers ?

It doesn't have to be wireless.
It depends on how your router is configured.. some can be accessed from the
internet side.

If so, a wired (ethernet) only router such as NTL provide is safe.

Not necessarily true.

Old February 23rd 07, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NumptyDonkey

Beck wrote:

Do you mean like wireless war driving? Not possible on an ethernet,
only wireless.

No, he means an website that has active content that is able to
reconfigure your router - they usually change the DNS servers to a rogue
one. This can only occur if you are running the default passwords.