Looking for ISP - usenet access.

Old February 22nd 07, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
zeebop

Default Looking for ISP - usenet access.

Hi,

Can anyone confirm if their ISP allows usenet access without traffic
shaping?

I'm with Pipex and they have just started to limited download speed
from usenet. Rubbish.

zeebop
Old February 22nd 07, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anonym

"zeebop" wrote in message
Hi,

Can anyone confirm if their ISP allows usenet access without traffic
shaping?

I'm with Pipex and they have just started to limited download speed
from usenet. Rubbish.

I had the same problem and am in the process of transferring to
adsl24.co.uk, one of the Entanet resellers. (Roll on 1st March!) If you
choose any of them they all have virtually the same terms and conditions and
as regards "Fair Usage", as Pipex and others call it, it is all set out in
black and white with all of the Entanet outfits:

Monthly usage limits -
30 GB Peak time = 08.00 to 22.00
300 GB Off-peak = 22.00 to 08.88

That package costs 19.99 per month.

I've actually gone for one of their "office max" packs which costs a bit
more but has better hours in that peak time finishes at 20.00

I don't find downloading overnight to be a problem and even though I did
this on my Pipex account, Pipex do not distinguish between peak and off-peak
usage.

Incidentally, someone said Pipex has decided to reverse their changes and
this afternoon everything was back to full speed when I tried downloading
from nntp server. However, it is back to crawling speed again tonight.

Old February 22nd 07, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anonym

"anonym" wrote in message
m...

"zeebop" wrote in message
[...]

p.s. Sorry to follow up to my own post but I should have mentioned that all
weekend (22.00 Friday to 08.00 Monday) is classed as off-peak.

Old February 22nd 07, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

zeebop wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone confirm if their ISP allows usenet access without traffic
shaping?

I suggest you leave any ISP doing traffic shaping.

Graham

Old February 23rd 07, 04:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

"Eeyore" wrote in message

zeebop wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone confirm if their ISP allows usenet access without traffic
shaping?

I suggest you leave any ISP doing traffic shaping.

Graham

Do you have a list of them as I can't find any ISP overselling and using
traffic shaping to restrict customers. It is used in the full knowledge it
makes adverts false and the ASA can't touch them.

Old February 23rd 07, 06:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anonym

"Eeyore" wrote in message

anonym wrote:

I had the same problem and am in the process of transferring to
adsl24.co.uk, one of the Entanet resellers.

Which one ?

adsl24

Old February 23rd 07, 09:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
zeebop

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 06:58:36 GMT, "anonym" wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

anonym wrote:

I had the same problem and am in the process of transferring to
adsl24.co.uk, one of the Entanet resellers.

Which one ?

adsl24

Looks like another way round it is to use an SSL usenet server, but
Astraweb dont run one. Need Pay as you go and SSL...
Old February 23rd 07, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anonym

"Eeyore" wrote in message

anonym wrote:

I had the same problem and am in the process of transferring to
adsl24.co.uk, one of the Entanet resellers.

Which one ?

adsl24

Looks like another way round it is to use an SSL usenet server, but
Astraweb dont run one. Need Pay as you go and SSL...

Another way around the slow NNTP Usenet downloads, was to download required
files from Easynews HTTP web interface. Sometimes this is very handy when
downloading the likes of a movie as they have this "autounrar" tool which
extracts, joins and then posts the movie as a single file on their server,
providing all of the parts are complete. It is then an easy matter to pack
it into Easynews Zip Manager tool and download using a download manager.

The only problem was trying to download headers using NNTP which had become
almost impossible in busy groups. At the end of the day Pipex "restrictions"
were laughable as I got the same fast downloads using the Easynews web
interface once I had decided what I was after.

Old February 23rd 07, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Tony wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message
zeebop wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone confirm if their ISP allows usenet access without traffic
shaping?

I suggest you leave any ISP doing traffic shaping.

Graham

Do you have a list of them

No.

as I can't find any ISP overselling and using traffic shaping to restrict
customers.

That doesn't make sense.

It is used in the full knowledge it makes adverts false and the ASA can't
touch them.

If you want to avoid shaping and throttling it'll cost you more. How much will
you pay and what do you expect to get ? It won't be a fiver.

Graham