Broadband for a new starter

Old February 23rd 07, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anonym

Default Broadband for a new starter

I've a friend who is asking me to recommend a broadband supplier. His wants
and needs are completely different to mine, *and* he lives in a cable area,
so I wonder if anyone could recommend a good supplier for a newbie who:

Lives in a cable area (Herts).
Is approx 1.24 km from his local exchange.
Will not be doing big downloads.
Has son who wants to access online games using Xbox 360.

ATM, he has a BT phone line but would be willing to swap to a cable phone
company if this meant a better deal.

Any suggestions, please?

Old February 23rd 07, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Motion

"anonym" wrote in message
m...
I've a friend who is asking me to recommend a broadband supplier. His
wants and needs are completely different to mine, *and* he lives in a
cable area, so I wonder if anyone could recommend a good supplier for a
newbie who:

Lives in a cable area (Herts).
Is approx 1.24 km from his local exchange.
Will not be doing big downloads.
Has son who wants to access online games using Xbox 360.

ATM, he has a BT phone line but would be willing to swap to a cable phone
company if this meant a better deal.

Do you use Sky TV?

Old February 23rd 07, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Motion wrote:
"anonym" wrote in message
m...
I've a friend who is asking me to recommend a broadband supplier.
His wants and needs are completely different to mine, *and* he
lives in a cable area, so I wonder if anyone could recommend a
good supplier for a newbie who:

Lives in a cable area (Herts).
Is approx 1.24 km from his local exchange.
Will not be doing big downloads.
Has son who wants to access online games using Xbox 360.

ATM, he has a BT phone line but would be willing to swap to a
cable phone company if this meant a better deal.

Do you use Sky TV?

After this morning I'd think carefully about where you are going with
that line of questioning

Old February 23rd 07, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

anonym wrote:

I've a friend who is asking me to recommend a broadband supplier. His wants
and needs are completely different to mine, *and* he lives in a cable area,
so I wonder if anyone could recommend a good supplier for a newbie who:

Lives in a cable area (Herts).
Is approx 1.24 km from his local exchange.
Will not be doing big downloads.

What does big mean ? How about a GB per month figure ?

Has son who wants to access online games using Xbox 360.

ATM, he has a BT phone line but would be willing to swap to a cable phone
company if this meant a better deal.

Any suggestions, please?

NTL oops Virgin Media's broadband is quite expensive so I'd give that a miss.

Take your pick I'd say.

Graham

Old February 23rd 07, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David R

"anonym" wrote in message
m...
I've a friend who is asking me to recommend a broadband supplier. His
wants and needs are completely different to mine, *and* he lives in a
cable area, so I wonder if anyone could recommend a good supplier for a
newbie who:

Lives in a cable area (Herts).
Is approx 1.24 km from his local exchange.
Will not be doing big downloads.
Has son who wants to access online games using Xbox 360.

ATM, he has a BT phone line but would be willing to swap to a cable phone
company if this meant a better deal.

Any suggestions, please?

The son's gaming will be 'big downloads' - so he does need something with a
low cap.

Cabled area - what cable company?

Virginmedia's 2mb service for £15 a month would be good, plus the option to
only take out the broadband, no need to switch phone providers.

Old February 23rd 07, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

David R wrote:

"anonym" wrote in message

I've a friend who is asking me to recommend a broadband supplier. His
wants and needs are completely different to mine, *and* he lives in a
cable area, so I wonder if anyone could recommend a good supplier for a
newbie who:

Lives in a cable area (Herts).
Is approx 1.24 km from his local exchange.
Will not be doing big downloads.
Has son who wants to access online games using Xbox 360.

ATM, he has a BT phone line but would be willing to swap to a cable phone
company if this meant a better deal.

Any suggestions, please?

The son's gaming will be 'big downloads' - so he does need something with a
low cap.

Cabled area - what cable company?

Virginmedia's 2mb service for £15 a month would be good, plus the option to
only take out the broadband, no need to switch phone providers.

Only £14.99 until the end of this month. Then it goes up to £18.
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/webs...duct.do?id=227

Graham

Old February 23rd 07, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anonym

"Motion" wrote in message
"anonym" wrote in message
m...
I've a friend who is asking me to recommend a broadband supplier. His
wants and needs are completely different to mine, *and* he lives in a
cable area, so I wonder if anyone could recommend a good supplier for a
newbie who:

Lives in a cable area (Herts).
Is approx 1.24 km from his local exchange.
Will not be doing big downloads.
Has son who wants to access online games using Xbox 360.

ATM, he has a BT phone line but would be willing to swap to a cable phone
company if this meant a better deal.

Do you use Sky TV?

I've just phone to check that and ATM he just uses a Freeview set top box
but would consider Sky if a good package could be found. (I had not thought
of Sky so will take a look at their site for him.)

Old February 23rd 07, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anonym

"kraftee" wrote in message
Motion wrote:
"anonym" wrote in message
m...
I've a friend who is asking me to recommend a broadband supplier.
His wants and needs are completely different to mine, *and* he
lives in a cable area, so I wonder if anyone could recommend a
good supplier for a newbie who:

Lives in a cable area (Herts).
Is approx 1.24 km from his local exchange.
Will not be doing big downloads.
Has son who wants to access online games using Xbox 360.

ATM, he has a BT phone line but would be willing to swap to a
cable phone company if this meant a better deal.

Do you use Sky TV?

After this morning I'd think carefully about where you are going with that
line of questioning

Is there something seriously wrong with Sky?

Old February 23rd 07, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anonym

"Eeyore" wrote in message

anonym wrote:

I've a friend who is asking me to recommend a broadband supplier. His
wants
and needs are completely different to mine, *and* he lives in a cable
area,
so I wonder if anyone could recommend a good supplier for a newbie who:

Lives in a cable area (Herts).
Is approx 1.24 km from his local exchange.
Will not be doing big downloads.

What does big mean ? How about a GB per month figure ?

Well, as he is not even connected to the Internet at the moment, your guess
is as good as mine.

Has son who wants to access online games using Xbox 360.

ATM, he has a BT phone line but would be willing to swap to a cable phone
company if this meant a better deal.

Any suggestions, please?

NTL oops Virgin Media's broadband is quite expensive so I'd give that a
miss.

I was looking at their "2 for £20" for him, Broadband + TV or phone seems a
reasonable price?

Take your pick I'd say.

From which suppliers?

Old February 23rd 07, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anonym

"David R" wrote in message
"anonym" wrote in message
m...
I've a friend who is asking me to recommend a broadband supplier. His
wants and needs are completely different to mine, *and* he lives in a
cable area, so I wonder if anyone could recommend a good supplier for a
newbie who:

Lives in a cable area (Herts).
Is approx 1.24 km from his local exchange.
Will not be doing big downloads.
Has son who wants to access online games using Xbox 360.

ATM, he has a BT phone line but would be willing to swap to a cable phone
company if this meant a better deal.

Any suggestions, please?

The son's gaming will be 'big downloads' - so he does need something with
a low cap.

Oh right, thanks, I never thought about that. (I've never ever played an
online game, but I do download lots.)

Cabled area - what cable company?

NTL/Virgin definitely.

Virginmedia's 2mb service for £15 a month would be good, plus the option
to only take out the broadband, no need to switch phone providers.

I'll take a look at that for him. Sounds good and would the 2mb service cope
with the kid's games?