really basic question

Old February 23rd 07, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Reid

Default really basic question

I got the Virgin Broadband disc and modem delivered and installed, OK
registration setup didnt work but did that over the phone after doing
it via the virgin website failed as well. OK, so i'm sitting here,
hows it supposed to work? I see theres two high speed LAN symbols as
well as my dial ups in windows now. If I just open a brower and google
nothing happens, my email and news server must need new addresses or
something surely? I can go to virgins registration site by run
iexplore 80.5.178.26 so there a BB connection there, i'm sure i'm just
missing some simple piece of the jigsaw?
--
Mike Reid
updated Tenerife pics "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk/tenerifepics.htm"
Old February 23rd 07, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

The Reid wrote:
I got the Virgin Broadband disc and modem delivered and installed,
OK registration setup didnt work but did that over the phone after
doing it via the virgin website failed as well. OK, so i'm sitting
here, hows it supposed to work? I see theres two high speed LAN
symbols as well as my dial ups in windows now. If I just open a
brower and google nothing happens, my email and news server must
need new addresses or something surely? I can go to virgins
registration site by run iexplore 80.5.178.26 so there a BB
connection there, i'm sure i'm just missing some simple piece of
the jigsaw?

DNS server maybe?

Should have been done when you set your network connection up...

Try 208.67.222.222

if you get no joy from Virgin

Old February 23rd 07, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

The Reid wrote:

I got the Virgin Broadband

Cable or ADSL ?

Graham

Old February 24th 07, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Reid

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 19:12:58 +0000, Eeyore
wrote:

I got the Virgin Broadband

Cable or ADSL ?

cable
Old February 24th 07, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Reid

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 11:06:19 +0000, The Reid
wrote:

Cable or ADSL ?

cable

i see in network connections I have two things

a "1394 connection" and a "local area connection" both are connected
but repair on the 1394 results in "no TCP/IP" so I shall ring Virgin
and tell them that, I assume thats significant?
Old February 24th 07, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lurch

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 14:03:50 +0000, The Reid
mused:

wrote:

Cable or ADSL ?

cable

i see in network connections I have two things

a "1394 connection" and a "local area connection" both are connected
but repair on the 1394 results in "no TCP/IP" so I shall ring Virgin
and tell them that, I assume thats significant?

No, that has no significance whatsoever. The 1394 connection is our
firewire port.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old February 24th 07, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

wrote:

Cable or ADSL ?

cable

i see in network connections I have two things

a "1394 connection" and a "local area connection" both are connected
but repair on the 1394 results in "no TCP/IP" so I shall ring Virgin
and tell them that, I assume thats significant?

IEEE1394 is Firewire IIRC. Do you have Firewire installed ? It plays no part in
your connection to Virign.

Graham

Old February 24th 07, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

wrote:

Cable or ADSL ?

cable

i see in network connections I have two things

a "1394 connection" and a "local area connection" both are connected
but repair on the 1394 results in "no TCP/IP" so I shall ring Virgin
and tell them that, I assume thats significant?

1394 is a firewire connection, not remotely relevant.

I forget how your PC is connected to the modem - via USB or ethernet ?
--
Mark McIntyre
Old February 24th 07, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mac

Do this:

Plug ethernet cable into modem and into PC.
Power lead out of modem, power lead back in.
Leave for 2 minutes.
Double click internet explorer.
Voila.

If no joy, check in Device Manager under network adapters (Control Panel -
Switch to Classic View if u need to - System - Hardware - Device Manager)
that your network card isn't disabled (has a red cross next to it). It is
usually Realtek, Intel or something.
Any problems, post here and I'll help out.

Old February 26th 07, 08:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Reid

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 14:36:25 +0000, Lurch
wrote:

No, that has no significance whatsoever. The 1394 connection is our
firewire port.

thanks, thats a prob eliminated.