Fritzbox questions: Callthrough etc.

Old February 24th 07, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Default Fritzbox questions: Callthrough etc.

I am considering purchasing a Fritzbox Fon 7140.
As I will, initially at least, be using a cable modem, this wil mean I
lose an ethernet socket. Hence the preference over the 7050.

I have checked out the manuals for the
Fritzbox Fon,
Fritzbox Fon 7050,
Fritzbox Fon 7140.
In the 100+ pages of each of the pdf manuals
I can see no mention of Speed dials or callthrough, even though they
are listed in the specs.
I feel sure that speed dials will be easy to set up but what about
calthrough? I have seen various postings referring to this but nowhere
have I seen the methodology behind it. Can anyone point to a place
where there is callthrough set up information

Further, I can see no detailed information, re dialling rules, though
I assume that this is easy to do so, possibly, does not require any
detailed documentation.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old February 24th 07, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Brian A" wrote in message
[...]

You're right. Can't see anything in the on-line manuals. However see below
from the help file on my FritzBox.

I have not used speed dials so can't comment on this. However for
callthrough, I have some good and some bad news. Yes it is pretty
intuitive, although there I have two issues with it:
1. you need to make sure that none of the telephone extensions are set to
react to calls on your callthrough SIP account.
2. (This is the biggy) I can't get it to work with the latest firmware on my
7050. The DTMF sensitivity does not appear to be set right in the FritzBox
configuration, as digits are dropped from the dial string. I have tried
from different mobiles/landlines but not got it to work successfully. AVM
now want me to send the box back to check there is no fault, but I am sure I
have had it working with previous firmware. I think DTMF must be set
slightly differently in Germany.

For info my firmware is 14.04.26, and I would be very happy to know if
others do or don't have problems with this as well.

Here is the bit from the manual (sorry for the length...)

With the "Call through enabled" setting you can select between the functions
"Specified call through" and "PBX linking".
Activate the setting "Call through enabled" and select the function you
would like to use. Then make the settings for the selected function.

Note: This setting is available only when the expert setting has been
enabled in the "System / Expert Mode" dialog.

Note: The dialing rules defined in the "Dialing Rules" area available over
the menu commands "Telephony / Dialing Rules" in FRITZ!Box are valid for
both functions.

Click on one of the following list entries to view the Help text of the
function:

Specified call through
PBX linking
Specified call through
The "Specified call through" function makes it possible to connect incoming
calls to one number to a different number. You can also use this feature to
connect fixed-line calls to other numbers via the Internet.

The following settings options are available for the "Specified call
through" featu

Call through enabled for all calls for the number
In this field select the number for which call through is to be enabled. All
Internet and ISDN numbers you entered in the "Telephony / Internet
Telephony" and "Telephony / Extensions" menus are available for selection.

Call through is only possible for calls that arrive at the number selected
here.

Authorization for Call Through
The call through function can only be used by callers to whom you have
granted authorization.
A caller is authorized when his or her caller ID is approved for the call
through function and when he or she enters the correct PIN.

PIN
A caller must enter the PIN to use the call through function. The preset PIN
upon delivery is "0000". It is advisable to change this preset value. The
PIN must be exactly four characters long.

You must send this PIN to all callers you would like to authorize for the
call through function.

by the number of the calling party (Caller ID)
Enable this setting to allow the call through setting only for calls from
certain lines.

If this setting is not enabled, all incoming calls will be allowed to use
the call through function.

In the "Caller ID" field, enter the numbers of the lines which are to be
allowed to use the call through function. You can enter a maximum of eight
telephone numbers, separated by semicolons.

Note: Calls from the lines entered in the "Caller ID" field are only
permitted to use the call through function when their numbers are
transmitted.

Diverting caller to the number
Select here the number to be used to connect the calls to a different
destination. For instance, select an Internet number to divert the calls for
Internet telephony.

Apply the settings by clicking the "Apply" button.

Instructions for Using the Call Through Function
Call the number entered in the field "Call through enabled for all calls for
the number" using a telephone that is not connected to FRITZ!Box.
If the line number of the call in FRITZ!Box is authorized for the call
through feature, you will hear an audio signal.
Enter the PIN in the "PIN" field.
Wait for the acknowledgement tone.
Now you have two options: A. You want to call a telephone at one of the
FRITZ!Box extensions. Dial the internal number of the desired extension
(number "1" or "2"). The telephone rings at the desired extension. No
further entries are necessary.
B. You want to be connected to another destination via the Internet. Dial a
"0", because "Automatic outside dialing" is disabled for the call through
feature. Continue with the other instructions.

Once you hear a dial tone, you can enter the destination number, complete
with area code.
The call is connected to another destination via the number specified in the
"Diverting caller to the number" field.

Old February 25th 07, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Thanks very much for all the information Herman.
I have experienced the DTMF problem, you mentioned, even on landline
based services. I think that, possibly, the frequency tolerances may
be too tight sometimes - though that theory could be wrong.
In the early days of LCR carriers I used a hand dialler where I had
numbers stored. It would play a DTMF string of tones when the required
number was selected. It worked OK on some systems but not on others.
Callthrough is likely to become an important feature for me - I wish
it did callback too :-). I will post any findings I have when I
eventually get to experiment with the box.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.