How many customers per 'central pipe' ?

Old February 25th 07, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Default How many customers per 'central pipe' ?

I recall a discussion here about Plusnet's capacity when they put some customers
on LLU.

Didn't they originally have 8 centrals for about 200,000 customers ?

Graham

Old February 25th 07, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ale.cx

On Feb 25, 8:40 am, Eeyore
wrote:
I recall a discussion here about Plusnet's capacity when they put some customers
on LLU.

Didn't they originally have 8 centrals for about 200,000 customers ?

There's no such thing as 'a' Central - they come in a variety of
widths, so eight Centrals could be anywhere between nowhere near
enough and plenty. And as for how many customers, it depends how big
of a Central you have, and what your customers do with their
broadband. For example, having a mix of residential and business users
on your Central makes sense because they tend to use bandwidth at
different times of day.

alexd

Old February 25th 07, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Cupis

Eeyore wrote:
I recall a discussion here about Plusnet's capacity when they put some customers
on LLU.

Didn't they originally have 8 centrals for about 200,000 customers ?

http://www.sinet.bt.com - SIN 329 - page 15

34Mbps Central - 1600 sessions
155Mbps Central - 6400 sessions
155Mbps Central L2TP - 8000 sessions
622Mbps Central L2TP - 32000 sessions

I seem to think that Plusnet have 5 622Mbps Centrals (one of which only
has one or two 155Mbps segment lit), some 20,000 customers on Tiscali
LLU and have taken or are taking some connectivity via BTwholesale
Central Plus. I also seem to think that they are bringing a fourth
platform online soon (another LLU provider).

There was talk that they shutdown 2 segments on their 5th central when
they moved users to Tiscali LLU, but have since brought it back online.

Some more information available:
http://usergroup.plus.net/report_pncapacity.php

Old February 25th 07, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

Paul Cupis wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the links, that gives me something to go on.

Graham