Starting Again!

Old February 25th 07, 08:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Port Admiral Haynes

Default Starting Again!

First I used Skype but then as I wanted to have something more flexible I
decided to try "proper" VOIP. My wife has relatives in Singapore and
Malaysia so after a bit of research I chose VoipDiscount as my outgoing call
provider. I chose (wrongly I now think) a Linksys PAP2T as my ATA as it was
cheap.

It has two ports and so I have a DECT phone for VOIP outgoing calls, a DECT
phone for incoming VOIP calls (very rarely gets used) and a DECT phone for
my normal BT line. I do not want to use my VOIP number for everyday incoming
calls and wish to stick with my BT line for that.

I do not want to change my router as I am very happy with its stability and
speed.

What I would like is to replace my ATA with one that allows my to plug my BT
land line into it as well as a network cable and will allow me to have
multiple providers on one phone so that all incoming calls (VOIP or BT) will
ring on the one phone and that via (easy to setup!) dialling plans calls
will be routed either over my BT line or by VoipDiscount account.

Any suggestions please?

Old February 25th 07, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2007-02-25, Port Admiral Haynes wrote:

What I would like is to replace my ATA with one that allows my to plug my BT
land line into it as well as a network cable and will allow me to have
multiple providers on one phone so that all incoming calls (VOIP or BT) will
ring on the one phone and that via (easy to setup!) dialling plans calls
will be routed either over my BT line or by VoipDiscount account.

Any suggestions please?

Register the ATA at

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/PcTradeShop...ter-Components

with VoXaLOT.

The Gate 102, also sold on Ebay, is another ATA to consider. There was a
good mini-review of it in this group a day or so ago.

Brian.
Old February 25th 07, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 08:51:09 +0000 (UTC), Brian

On 2007-02-25, Port Admiral Haynes wrote:

What I would like is to replace my ATA with one that allows my to plug my BT
land line into it as well as a network cable and will allow me to have
multiple providers on one phone so that all incoming calls (VOIP or BT) will
ring on the one phone and that via (easy to setup!) dialling plans calls
will be routed either over my BT line or by VoipDiscount account.

Any suggestions please?

Register the ATA at

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/PcTradeShop...ter-Components

with VoXaLOT.

The Gate 102, also sold on Ebay, is another ATA to consider. There was a
good mini-review of it in this group a day or so ago.

Brian.

IMHO, if you want the system to work I wouldn't mess about with
cheapy/questionable stuff from Ebay or elsewhere. Go fo a
Linkys/Sipura SPA-3102 ATA. It will do the business and there should
be no problems once you have got it set up. You won't need the router
function in the SPA-3102,- just connect it to the output of your
router. If you are just needing one output from the router, to your
computer, then ditch your router and use the SPA-3102 instead as a
router/ATA.
Try here broadbandstuff :-
http://tinyurl.com/ywyrkn
Their prices are usually among the most competitive.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old February 25th 07, 12:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Port Admiral Haynes

On 2007-02-25, Port Admiral Haynes wrote:

[...]

Many thanks - I will take a look

Old February 25th 07, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian Pawson

Port Admiral Haynes wrote:
[...]

I have a Linksys SPA300 that does exactly that.
Old February 25th 07, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:37:01 -0000, "Port Admiral Haynes"
wrote:

.. .

On 2007-02-25, Port Admiral Haynes wrote:

[...]

If you go for the SPA-3102 then it would be a very good idea to
download a program called NewSipuraUtil.exe
It works with my SPA-3000 so hopefully it will work with the
SPA-3102..
It is a program with a GUI that enables you to back up all the
settings on your Sipura box. That way you can feel free to muck about
with the settings safe in the knowledge that you can put everything
back if you get problems.
If you get the Sipura/Linksys come back here if you need help in
setting up.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old February 25th 07, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2007-02-25, Brian A wrote:

IMHO, if you want the system to work I wouldn't mess about with
cheapy/questionable stuff from Ebay or elsewhere. Go fo a
Linkys/Sipura SPA-3102 ATA. It will do the business and there should
be no problems once you have got it set up.

At about 40 GBP with p&p I wouldn't class the Gate 102 as cheap but the
other ATA is getting on for one third the cost of a 3102. It doesn't
have the gateway features of the SPA but it will do what the OP wants.
Registration and audio quality both appear to be sound. There may be a
question mark over the reception of caller ID with both these ATAs so
you would be looking elsewhere if that is of importance.

Brian.
Old February 26th 07, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Herman

"Port Admiral Haynes" wrote in message
[...]

I use the FritzBox and am very happy with it in terms of number of accounts
(up to 10 plus landline backup with routing) amongst other things. But it
is pricier than the Linksys/Sipura products which are also generally well
respected. I started off with a cheap ATA but switched to the FritzBox when
I ditched the landline. You can disable the router functions although it is
generally advisable to have your ATA first in line for more reliable
quality, especially if your current router does not support QoS.

The other option is to use Voxalot, which allows you unlimited SIP accounts
which are then all routed into one Voxalot account. I have found the
quality of Voxalot to be variable, although there are a few in this group
who seem to be OK with it.

Old February 27th 07, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:56:56 GMT, "Herman"
wrote:

[...]

That is a very good point Herman. The OP has a PAP2 so if he used it
with Voxalot he could add as many incoming/outgoing VSPs as he wished
without any extra cost.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old February 27th 07, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

wrote:

The other option is to use Voxalot, which allows you unlimited SIP accounts
which are then all routed into one Voxalot account. I have found the
quality of Voxalot to be variable, although there are a few in this group
who seem to be OK with it.

That is a very good point Herman. The OP has a PAP2 so if he used it
with Voxalot he could add as many incoming/outgoing VSPs as he wished
without any extra cost.

The primary objective of the OP is to reduce the number of telephone
handsets to one. Using the PAP2 won't give him that. Also, if he does
not want a device incorporating a router there are not many to choose
from.

Brian.