usb phone recommedations :(

Old February 25th 07, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stephen Hammond

Default usb phone recommedations :(

I've tried two USB phones and they're both rubbish which is annoying

Ermm they both said skype but I'm just using with www.voip.co.uk software on
the computer

Old February 25th 07, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Stephen Hammond wrote:
I've tried two USB phones and they're both rubbish which is annoying

Ermm they both said skype but I'm just using with www.voip.co.uk
software on the computer

USB phones are toys for the kids.

They are just a cheap and crappy soundcard with mic and speaker in a
piece of moulded plastic.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old February 25th 07, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jon Farmer

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

USB phones are toys for the kids.

They are just a cheap and crappy soundcard with mic and speaker in a
piece of moulded plastic.

I was at Von Europe in Berlin last November where T-Mobile gave
delegates free WiFi for the duration of the conference. In the
refreshment area I was the only one using x-lite and a USB handset to
make calls back to the office and to other people I need to call at
on-net or very low rates. The other delegates all on their mobiles and
probably paying huge roaming rates looked rather embarrased when they
caught my eye and realised they were at a VoIP/Convergence conference
and not using the technology they came to peddle.

Regards

Jon

Old February 25th 07, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 18:48:14 +0000, Jon Farmer
wrote:

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

USB phones are toys for the kids.

They are just a cheap and crappy soundcard with mic and speaker in a
piece of moulded plastic.

I was at Von Europe in Berlin last November where T-Mobile gave
delegates free WiFi for the duration of the conference. In the
refreshment area I was the only one using x-lite and a USB handset to
make calls back to the office and to other people I need to call at
on-net or very low rates. The other delegates all on their mobiles and
probably paying huge roaming rates looked rather embarrased when they
caught my eye and realised they were at a VoIP/Convergence conference
and not using the technology they came to peddle.

If you are wedded to using a soft phone then you could try a bluetooth
headset. I use a Jabra BT200, I think it cost me about 16 inc
postage.It performs very well indeed. I have tried it with a softphone
and people say that it is good. I already had a bluetooth dongle
because I use that for transferring podcasts to my mobile phone.
Installing bluetooth dongles , particularly for audio, can be a
b****r. I have found the best way to get them working is to delete the
Win XP bluetooth stack from the registry and install another - such as
Toshiba. XP does not inherently support bluetooth audio.

However, I think that many, in this group, would agree that if you
invest in a good ATA you are unlikely to regret it. A one off cost and
then you can use voip.co.uk without the need to switch on your
computer. If you don't need to integrate a landline then something
like the SPA-1001 is a good option. For travel though you might just
prefer a voip phone. If you need advice re an ATA please ask.
Of course, I do realise that, for connections reasons, you are
sometimes compelled to use a softphone - in that case I'd go for a
bluetooth headset set up.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old February 26th 07, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Hayes

Jon Farmer wrote:
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

USB phones are toys for the kids.

They are just a cheap and crappy soundcard with mic and speaker in a
piece of moulded plastic.

I was at Von Europe in Berlin last November where T-Mobile gave
delegates free WiFi for the duration of the conference. In the
refreshment area I was the only one using x-lite and a USB handset to
make calls back to the office and to other people I need to call at
on-net or very low rates. The other delegates all on their mobiles and
probably paying huge roaming rates looked rather embarrased when they
caught my eye and realised they were at a VoIP/Convergence conference
and not using the technology they came to peddle.

Regards

Jon

Maybe they were all using dual mode wifi/gsm phones thinking "look at
that guy tied to his laptop with a usb phone"?

cheers,
Paul.
Old February 26th 07, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim

Paul Hayes wrote:

Maybe they were all using dual mode wifi/gsm phones thinking "look at
that guy tied to his laptop with a usb phone"?

There were an awful lot of people at Von doing just that with Truphone
enabled mobiles.

Tim
Old February 26th 07, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jon Farmer

Tim wrote:

There were an awful lot of people at Von doing just that with Truphone
enabled mobiles.

Well I did here some English speaking callers saying "I have to go now
as I am roaming"

Regards

Jon

Old February 26th 07, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jon Farmer

Paul Hayes wrote:

Maybe they were all using dual mode wifi/gsm phones thinking "look at
that guy tied to his laptop with a usb phone"?

Maybe I can't detect embarrassment then ;-)

Regards

Jon
Old March 1st 07, 09:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
mr deo

"Jon Farmer" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

USB phones are toys for the kids.

They are just a cheap and crappy soundcard with mic and speaker in a
piece of moulded plastic.

I was at Von Europe in Berlin last November where T-Mobile gave
delegates free WiFi for the duration of the conference. In the
refreshment area I was the only one using x-lite and a USB handset to
make calls back to the office and to other people I need to call at
on-net or very low rates. The other delegates all on their mobiles and
probably paying huge roaming rates looked rather embarrased when they
caught my eye and realised they were at a VoIP/Convergence conference
and not using the technology they came to peddle.

Regards

Jon

Either that or they were using wi-fi enabled mobiles and the associated
software to make free calls over wi-fi networks... so they were wondering
why you were so far behind in times