Newbie questions: echo and volume

Old February 25th 07, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tom Cumming

Default Newbie questions: echo and volume

I have recently started trying out Sipgate, with a view to eventually
getting using a cable broadband connection and getting rid of my landline,
as it is not really used enough to justify the line rental. However, I
cannot just use a mobile as I need to have a local phone number for
incoming calls.

I have been trying out Sipgate, initially using Ekiga softphone (under
Linux) and a Doro 2121PC USB handset (very cheap!), and I have so far been
pretty impressed. However, I have found that whoever I call finds my voice
too quiet (I always have to shout), and with a slight delay and echo
effect. I have made sure the microphone gain control is at the maximum.
If I call my own landline, I can hear the echo about 2-3 seconds after my
voice is heard the first time.

Is this in the nature of VoIP, or is this something I can do something
about? Ultimately if I chose to get rid of the landline, I will get a
proper VoIP router rather than using a softphone, as I don't want to miss
calls for my computer not being turned on, so if it's to do with the
computer it doesn't really matter.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Tom
Old February 25th 07, 05:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RH

"Tom Cumming" wrote in message
[...]

It can depend on many things I have found the hardware/software being used,
the provider being used and
the destination country being called.

I use a cisco phone with internetcalls.com and voipfone and the sound
quality is great, but I have used a softfone on a laptop
and had issues in the past.

As I mentioned where you are calling can also effect quality, as VOIP
providers use VOIP connections to terminate calls
in destination country. If the network infrastructure in the destination
country is lousy, often the call quality can be as well. Calling South
Africa
for example

Old February 26th 07, 09:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tom Cumming

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 17:57:12 +0000, RH wrote:

It can depend on many things I have found the hardware/software being used,
the provider being used and
the destination country being called.

I use a cisco phone with internetcalls.com and voipfone and the sound
quality is great, but I have used a softfone on a laptop
and had issues in the past.

As I mentioned where you are calling can also effect quality, as VOIP
providers use VOIP connections to terminate calls
in destination country. If the network infrastructure in the destination
country is lousy, often the call quality can be as well. Calling South
Africa
for example

Thanks - so far I've only been calling UK landlines, but this may change..
I'll keep an eye on it, as I don't particularly want to spend money on
more kit until I know I'm otherwise happy.
Old February 26th 07, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RH

[...]

In that case worth testing with different voip software as well, as for
costs it is possible to get true ATA units
for little more than 25 on ebay currently, the difference this can make in
less hassle is worth it, the quality for
me in general terms, means I have given up on my real phone line, I have one
only because I have ADSL connection
with demon which I like, I call mainly international, and save a fortune

Old February 26th 07, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

[...]

Echo is a common problem with softphones. I've never had any problem with
ATA's and normal phones.

Ivor

Old February 27th 07, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Saville

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:20:19 -0000, RH wrote:

snip

I have given up on my real phone line, I have one
only because I have ADSL connection
with demon which I like, I call mainly international, and save a fortune

Really? I have yet to find a VOIP provider that can beat going through other
providers such as call844 etc. to international land lines. We call India,
Germany and Canada - a lot. Currently I pay 3p, 0.5p & 0.5p respectively. Also
you are still paying line rental - unless you consider it as part of your ADSL
cost.

--

Regards

Dave Saville

Old February 27th 07, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RH

"Dave Saville" wrote in message
. uk...
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:20:19 -0000, RH wrote:

snip

I have given up on my real phone line, I have one
only because I have ADSL connection
with demon which I like, I call mainly international, and save a fortune

Really? I have yet to find a VOIP provider that can beat going through
other
providers such as call844 etc. to international land lines. We call India,
Germany and Canada - a lot. Currently I pay 3p, 0.5p & 0.5p respectively.
Also
you are still paying line rental - unless you consider it as part of your
ADSL
cost.

Did not know these other providers were so cheap, but I do use
internetcalls.com which
gives a number of free calls a week. I know there is a top up value, every x
months but I use that credit for mobile calls.

In my case the biggest way I save money, is by having a second number (for
work, which I can route to my mobile) doing
this via VOIP is very easy and cheap

Old April 27th 07, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alasdair

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:08:43 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Echo is a common problem with softphones. I've never had any problem with
ATA's and normal phones.

What is meant by a soft phone?

--
Alasdair.
Old April 27th 07, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

on 27/04/2007, Alasdair supposed :
wrote:

Echo is a common problem with softphones. I've never had any problem with
ATA's and normal phones.

What is meant by a soft phone?

soft(ware) (tele)phone

Old April 28th 07, 01:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote:

Echo is a common problem with softphones. I've never
had any problem with ATA's and normal phones.

What is meant by a soft phone?

soft(ware) (tele)phone

What he said ;-)

Ivor