Explanation of Download Limit Needed

Old February 26th 07, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheScullster

Default Explanation of Download Limit Needed

Hi all

Complete broadband newbie so please be gentle.
Our one and only ISP (Karoo in Hull) have a starter service which includes a
2Gb download limit (per month presumably).

My understanding is that, as you surf, pages that you view are effectively
"downloaded" temporarily to your PC.
Presumably this traffic counts towards your 2Gb allocation along with any
files that you explicitly download individually?

Are these assumptions correct and if so, is 2Gb a reasonable starting point?
I am interested in surfing (for family of 4), newsgroup access (myself only)
and occasional file downloads.

I am also likely to run a VPN link to my works PC.
Are these supported by domestic ISPs?

TIA

Phil

Old February 26th 07, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steeler

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

Complete broadband newbie so please be gentle.
Our one and only ISP (Karoo in Hull) have a starter service which includes
a 2Gb download limit (per month presumably).

My understanding is that, as you surf, pages that you view are effectively
"downloaded" temporarily to your PC.
Presumably this traffic counts towards your 2Gb allocation along with any
files that you explicitly download individually?

Yup. 2gb used to get you a lot of surfing but with the advent of youtube
and embedded video (whether you want it or not) you might find 5gb necessary
to be absolutely certain.

Do you know what happens if you exceed the limit? Some throttle your speed
but others charge you.

Old February 26th 07, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

TheScullster wrote:

Hi all

Complete broadband newbie so please be gentle.
Our one and only ISP (Karoo in Hull) have a starter service which
includes a 2Gb download limit (per month presumably).

My understanding is that, as you surf, pages that you view are
effectively "downloaded" temporarily to your PC.
Presumably this traffic counts towards your 2Gb allocation along with
any files that you explicitly download individually?

Are these assumptions correct and if so, is 2Gb a reasonable starting
point? I am interested in surfing (for family of 4), newsgroup access
(myself only) and occasional file downloads.

I am also likely to run a VPN link to my works PC.
Are these supported by domestic ISPs?

TIA

Phil

Everything which comes to your PC over your internet connection (web pages
served, emails, newsgroup messages read, files downloaded, streaming video
received, etc.) all counts against the 2G limit.

I have a 2G limit with PlusNet, and rarely use more than half of it. And
that includes lots of all the activities mentioned above. If you want to go
in for binary newsgroups (mine are text only) or lots of P2P file sharing it
may be a different story. Otherwise 2Gb is a perfectly reasonable starting
point. Start there and see how you get on.

I'm sure you can set up a VPN link providing you have a suitable router.
I'll leave those who know about these things to provide further details.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old February 26th 07, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

TheScullster wrote:

Hi all

Complete broadband newbie so please be gentle.
Our one and only ISP (Karoo in Hull) have a starter service which includes a
2Gb download limit (per month presumably).

Yes.

My understanding is that, as you surf, pages that you view are effectively
"downloaded" temporarily to your PC.

Yes.

Presumably this traffic counts towards your 2Gb allocation along with any
files that you explicitly download individually?

Yes.

Are these assumptions correct and if so, is 2Gb a reasonable starting point?
I am interested in surfing (for family of 4), newsgroup access (myself only)
and occasional file downloads.

It's very likely to be adequate. Most ISPs charge about £1 per GB if you need
more for those starter products.

I am also likely to run a VPN link to my works PC.
Are these supported by domestic ISPs?

Normally.

Graham

Old February 26th 07, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ian

On Monday 26 February 2007 3:53 pm, in MID
, Roger Mills
) wrote:
TheScullster wrote:

My understanding is that, as you surf, pages that you view are
effectively "downloaded" temporarily to your PC.
Presumably this traffic counts towards your 2Gb allocation along with
any files that you explicitly download individually?

Everything which comes to your PC over your internet connection (web pages
served, emails, newsgroup messages read, files downloaded, streaming video
received, etc.) all counts against the 2G limit.

Also, with some ISPs, everything that you upload.

regards,
--
Ian...
Old February 26th 07, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steeler

news
) wrote:
TheScullster wrote:

My understanding is that, as you surf, pages that you view are
effectively "downloaded" temporarily to your PC.
Presumably this traffic counts towards your 2Gb allocation along with
any files that you explicitly download individually?

Everything which comes to your PC over your internet connection (web
pages
served, emails, newsgroup messages read, files downloaded, streaming
video
received, etc.) all counts against the 2G limit.

Also, with some ISPs, everything that you upload.

I would say most ISPs count upload. It costs them about the just the same
up and down.

Old February 26th 07, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:54:53 UTC, "steeler" wrote:

news
) wrote:
TheScullster wrote:

My understanding is that, as you surf, pages that you view are
effectively "downloaded" temporarily to your PC.
Presumably this traffic counts towards your 2Gb allocation along with
any files that you explicitly download individually?

Everything which comes to your PC over your internet connection (web
pages
served, emails, newsgroup messages read, files downloaded, streaming
video
received, etc.) all counts against the 2G limit.

Also, with some ISPs, everything that you upload.

I would say most ISPs count upload. It costs them about the just the same
up and down.

I expect you're right. AAISP don't count it, though. Not at all.

http://www.voipinside.net
Old February 26th 07, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Eeyore wrote:
TheScullster wrote:
I am also likely to run a VPN link to my works PC.
Are these supported by domestic ISPs?

Normally.

Graham

Think you'll find your wrong on this point, they may not stop the VPN
being used but won't support it if there are problems is the attitude
of most domestic ISPs

Old February 27th 07, 03:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

kraftee wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
TheScullster wrote:
I am also likely to run a VPN link to my works PC.
Are these supported by domestic ISPs?

Normally.

Graham

Think you'll find your wrong on this point, they may not stop the VPN
being used but won't support it if there are problems is the attitude
of most domestic ISPs

That depends on your definition of 'support'. I sort of read it as "not actively
hinder" ! A sad comment but just a relection on the state of this industry.

Graham

Old February 27th 07, 09:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

) wrote:
TheScullster wrote:

My understanding is that, as you surf, pages that you view are
effectively "downloaded" temporarily to your PC.
Presumably this traffic counts towards your 2Gb allocation along
with any files that you explicitly download individually?

Everything which comes to your PC over your internet connection (web
pages served, emails, newsgroup messages read, files downloaded,
streaming video received, etc.) all counts against the 2G limit.

Also, with some ISPs, everything that you upload.

That is true, although - unless you're into P2P - the volume is likely to be
orders of magnitude less than the downstream traffic.
--
Cheers,
Roger