Good ADSL Modem

Old February 27th 07, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
KarlH

Default Good ADSL Modem

Can any one recommend a good ADSL modem that we can plug into our
hardware firewall. Looking for something reliable over cost.
Old February 27th 07, 12:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

KarlH wrote:
Can any one recommend a good ADSL modem that we can plug into our
hardware firewall. Looking for something reliable over cost.

I used to use a Draytek 2600 (now replaced by the 2800) with no
problems at all.

Having jumped over the fence & found that it is better elsewhere I'm
having to use a Netgear DG834GT into my FireBox & it appears to be
working with very little effort, turn off DHCP & put the firewall in
the DMZ & it works, all my fears about having 2xNAT protocols appear
to be unfounded.

A lot will depend on what type of usage & how heavy the usage is
projected to be

Old February 27th 07, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eeyore

KarlH wrote:

Can any one recommend a good ADSL modem that we can plug into our
hardware firewall. Looking for something reliable over cost.

Define "good" !

Graham

Old February 27th 07, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
KarlH

kraftee wrote:

Can any one recommend a good ADSL modem that we can plug into our
hardware firewall. Looking for something reliable over cost.

I used to use a Draytek 2600 (now replaced by the 2800) with no
problems at all.

snip

Thanks, but I really want a modem and not a router. Our firewall can
handle all that and it means less to go wrong, just need something to
take the incoming ADSL and output to network port.
Something that can handle lots of traffic, and happily sit in a dark
cupboard and just work would be nice!
Old February 27th 07, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant

KarlH wrote:

Thanks, but I really want a modem and not a router.

Draytek Vigor 100?

Old February 27th 07, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
KarlH

Grant wrote:

KarlH wrote:
Thanks, but I really want a modem and not a router.

Draytek Vigor 100?

Looks good Grant, thanks.
Old March 1st 07, 02:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TNW

I have good experiences with the Speedtouch 546 and 516 (basically the
same model, but difference in number of ethernet ports). A 546 now
runs for about 2 years at my parents home without any significant
problems. It's got an built-in router, but with older firmware you can
setup a DMZ (forward all traffic to a static ip) or you can assign the
public IP address of the connection to your broadband router of
choice.

http://www.speedtouchonline.com/516_...?menuCurrPos=1.

By the way, I work at the Speedtouch support and I added this group to
my list on Google groups, to get some news on ADSL connections in the
UK