Bonded ADSL

Old February 27th 07, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CheekyMonkey

Default Bonded ADSL

We need upsteam bandwidth of above 1mb, so would like to bond two 8mb
ADSL Max lines together. Does anyone have any suggestions of suppliers
of bonded lines?
Old February 27th 07, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Digby

http://www.aaisp.net.uk/multiline.html
Old February 27th 07, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 16:43:11 +0000, CheekyMonkey wrote:

We need upsteam bandwidth of above 1mb, so would like to bond two 8mb
ADSL Max lines together. Does anyone have any suggestions of suppliers
of bonded lines?

Before considering bonding lines, are you going to use the connection
for any of the following?
* VoIP
* Video streaming
* High speed uploading from a single source to a single destination

If so then beware of bonded connections in all their guises and make
sure you know what you'll be using it for and what you're buying.

Here's why:

* VoIP/Video - correct delivery of packets in the right order is
critical with both of these time and delay sensitive applications. If
bonding using Multilink PPP or per-packet sharing load balancing there
is a very real risk of poor quality as packets are transmitted in
sequence but received out of sequence due to delays in one of the
channels. Per-destination load balancing is fine for multiple
concurrent VoIP channels however.

* High speed uploading etc. - If you are dependent on a single stream
with high upload speed then per-destination load balancing (used by
some ISPs but still referred to as bonded) will not work, you can only
obtain two concurrent streams, each running at the max upstream speed
of one connection. Per-packet load balancing and MLPPP are okay for
data.

* Real time high bandwidth video - forget bonding. You need a leased
line or SDSL if reliability isn't critical.

This is only my personal experience (I work for an ISP which provides
leased lines and bonded ADSL/SDSL amongst other things) - YMMV. We
dropped bonded MAX connections some time ago due to the rate adaption
and interleaving playing havoc with MLPPP.

Jake
--
Address munged but valid - remove mungbeans.